(Mostly) Classic Sci-fi on YouTube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, for one, welcome our AI overlords, but their edicts can be rather harsh. A great film:

Colossus: The Forbin Project

They took great care to explain the reason for all of the technical things they do in this great film:

The Andromeda Strain

"Moon Zero Two" '69; claim jumpers in space.

"Silent Running" '72; I so wanted one of those 16 foot long models of the "Valley Forge"

"Dark Star '74; a crew coming apart at the seams, a bomb with delusions of grandeur and the first iteration of "Alien" '79.

"Contact" '97; should have won a best picture Oscar.

"The Machine" '13; Caity Lotz. That's it, just Caity Lotz.

"The Beyond" '17; You won't see the end of this one coming.

I, for one, welcome our AI overlords, but their edicts can be rather harsh. A great film:

I'll second that one. I have all three books by D. F. Jones; Colossus, The Fall of Colossus, Colossus and the Crab. The plots of the first two were pretty decent, the third was so-so. Jones isn't a very good writer though IMHO.

The Andromeda Strain
Saw it when it came out; I was a HS sophomore. Scared the spit out of me.

Best -- Terry

They took great care to explain the reason for all of the technical things they do in this great film:

The Andromeda Strain

A fantastic movie, in my opinion one of the best films ever made.This film crackles with tension and fast pacing all the way through.The book was great but the movie version was much much better, and that's pretty rare indeed.

I don't think anyone mentioned The Thing from another Planet 1951. Or The Creature from the Black Lagoon 1954.
Two classics - though, admittedly, the Gill-Man costume and the lovely Julie Adams in a bathing suit are a bigger attraction than the rest of the cast’s acting. TTFAW makes me wish Howard Hawks had made more sci-fi movies but that’s not how things worked then, even during the final days of the studio system.

Oh my....
Now that is a list.
I'll be in my bunk.
The Monolith Monsters is one I remember vividly, still one of the coolest movies I've seen.But my all time favorite sci fi film is the Andromeda Strain, the original, not the remake from the Sci Fy channel.The tension and the fast pace of this one crackles with intensity right through the whole thing.Top to bottom one of the best films ever made.

"Silent Running" '72; I so wanted one of those 16 foot long models of the "Valley Forge"

"Dark Star '74; a crew coming apart at the seams, a bomb with delusions of grandeur and the first iteration of "Alien" '79.

Absolutely loved Silent Running.I can remember seeing it in it's original theater release.Bruce Dern was amazing, one of the best performances I've ever seen.Any actor will tell you that solo performances are the hardest thing to do but he pulled it off flawlessly.

+1 on "Silent Running". Thanks for jogging my memory. :) IIRC, the robots were Huey, Dewey, & Louie. I'll have to see if I can stream it from somewhere.

I didn'tsee listed one of THE greatest SF movies EVER made, imho: Forbidden Planer!!!!!!!! If You haven't seen it yet, the basic plot is; Captain Kirk and Dr. McCoy land their ship.......OOPS!!!! I mean Commander John J. Adams played by the late. great Leslie Neilson and Doc Ostrow played by Warren Stevens, land their "United Planets Cruiser" ( I kid You not: "United Planets") and from there the movie which is based on Shakesphere's (sic) "The Tempest", really gets going. Obtw, it is the 1st screen appearance of "Robby the Robot" and also stars Walter Pigeon and the always luscious Anne Francis. It is from this movie that a lot of Star Trek got their ideas from. and it STILL holds up rather well after 60+ years. Cheers!

Absolutely loved Silent Running.I can remember seeing it in it's original theater release.Bruce Dern was amazing, one of the best performances I've ever seen.Any actor will tell you that solo performances are the hardest thing to do but he pulled it off flawlessly.

I was 14 when I saw "Silent Running" on a big screen walk-in theater. Funny thing about SR is that it wasn't that highly thought of, or promoted, back when it was released.
As far as a "Solo performance", are you forgetting Huey, Dewey and Louie?
There were people inside those "Robots", the studio put out a casting call for double amputees and more than a few people responded.

One of the smaller models of the "Valley Forge" became the agricultural ship on the original "Battlestar Galctica".

"Dark Star" was originally a film written and produced as a college class assignment by Dan O'Bannon, and some hack named John Carpenter . . .
Later they turned it into a full length feature and got it released into theaters.

I didn'tsee listed one of THE greatest SF movies EVER made, imho: Forbidden Planer!!!!!!!! If You haven't seen it yet, the basic plot is; Captain Kirk and Dr. McCoy land their ship.......OOPS!!!! I mean Commander John J. Adams played by the late. great Leslie Neilson and Doc Ostrow played by Warren Stevens, land their "United Planets Cruiser" ( I kid You not: "United Planets") and from there the movie which is based on Shakesphere's (sic) "The Tempest", really gets going. Obtw, it is the 1st screen appearance of "Robby the Robot" and also stars Walter Pigeon and the always luscious Anne Francis. It is from this movie that a lot of Star Trek got their ideas from. and it STILL holds up rather well after 60+ years. Cheers!
@Vitruvius You're right! It is one of the best sci-fi movies of the 50's. I have it on DVD. I'll need to dig it out and watch it. Monster from the Id.

"Forbidden Planet" also pays tribute to the late great Alfred Elton Van Vogt's 1950 "Voyage of the Space Beagle".
You think Captain Archer ("Star Trek: Enterprise") having a beagle aboard was just happenstance?

Absolutely right, brilliant from start to finish.That they were able to make a film like this back then is remarkable.The cinematography in this movie is breathtaking in its scope.A true classic in every way.Very literate and well written.This is what true science fiction is all about.Shakespeare in space!!

Let us not forget "The Day the Earth Stood Still".
View attachment 454425View attachment 454425
Indeed, another classic.Michael Rennie's performance as Klaatu was truly memorable.Very well written and performed.No sci fi fans collection is complete without this one.Gort is my favorite movie robot just because he's so dangerous, it really makes the movie work.

"TDtESS" was very loosely based on Harry Bates' 1940 short story; "Farewell to the Master".

Kind of like how "The Thing" was based on John W. Campbell's 1938 short story "Who Goes There".

Two classics - though, admittedly, the Gill-Man costume and the lovely Julie Adams in a bathing suit are a bigger attraction than the rest of the cast’s acting. TTFAW makes me wish Howard Hawks had made more sci-fi movies but that’s not how things worked then, even during the final days of the studio system.

Julie Adams, 92 at the time of her passing in 2019 with an endless list of roles movies and after '55 TV movies and series.

The "Creature" meanwhile, appears to have faded away after his only major starring role.

"TDtESS" was very loosely based on Harry Bates' 1940 short story; "Farewell to the Master".

Kind of like how "The Thing" was based on John W. Campbell's 1938 short story "Who Goes There".
John Carpenter’s “The Thing” was closer in spirit to JWC’s original story, and certainly a modern classic in its own right, but I prefer the first movie over the second (or the sideways sequel/prequel) - it’s such an interesting artifact of its time, crackling Hawksian dialogue, each character is given their little asides and unique characteristics, fun post-WWII tech, the give and take between our hero and his love interest...TTFAW is just about the perfect 50s sci-fi flick.

Along the lines of "Kin" 2018, was the absurd "Laserblast" '78, a movie Roddy McDowall would likely wished to have forgotten.

Still, the scene where the guy with the alien weapon lets fly and blows away a billboard advertising "Star Wars" was a hoot.

Along the lines of "Kin" 2018, was the absurd "Laserblast" '78, a movie Roddy McDowall would likely wished to have forgotten.

Still, the scene where the guy with the alien weapon lets fly and blows away a billboard advertising "Star Wars" was a hoot.
Until you’ve seen Roddy’s appearance as a “swinging playboy” nephew and mad chemistry genius wearing the tightest sansabelt slacks ever in the Columbo episode “Short Fuse” you’re not even close to embarrassing McDowall appearances on film...🤪

One other aspect concerning "Forbidden Planet"' It was the first movie in which HUMANS are using a Saucer style spacecraft, before that it was always the Aliens in their Flying Saucers.

It might also be the first time FTL travel is mentioned*, certainly the first time humans are using it.

*Can't remember if "This Island Earth" mentions FTL or not,

"Forbidden Planet" also pays tribute to the late great Alfred Elton Van Vogt's 1950 "Voyage of the Space Beagle".
You think Captain Archer ("Star Trek: Enterprise") having a beagle aboard was just happenstance?
VERY good point!!!!!!! I had forgotten about that! Nice Save...Thanks!
Julie Adams, 92 at the time of her passing in 2019 with an endless list of roles movies and after '55 TV movies and series.

The "Creature" meanwhile, appears to have faded away after his only major starring role.
Don't forget however that there were 2 more "Creature" movies

Back