(Mostly) Classic Sci-fi on YouTube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If someone could stick close to the spirit of Them it would be fun to see a modern remake though I suppose Tremors is as close as we’ll get to that kind of classic monster movie/sci-fi flick.
Beginning of the End (1957) which is YouTube linked above is a low budget Them using locusts/grasshoppers. It scared me when I saw it as a kid because IIRC there's a scene where one of them is munching on a human face. The original Twilight Zone's Nightmare at 20,000 Feet episode made me afraid to peak through the curtains of my bedroom window for a short time for reasons obvious to anyone who has seen that episode. Because of where they lived, I liked to summer vacation for a few weeks at my aunt & uncle's home. They let me stay up with my uncle to watch the old horror flicks because he loved them, too. That's where I saw Beginning of the End.

"Caltiki, The Immortal Monster"; '59, Mexico's take on "The Blob" '58.

"The Monolith Monsters" '57; not so much "Monsters" as a force of nature.

"Them" '54; arguably the best "Big Bug" movie ever made.

"Journey to the Center of the Earth" '59; because, who doesn't like lizards, masquerading as dinosaurs?

"Crack in the World" '65; with what is undoubtedly one of the most horrifying train wrecks ever portrayed on film.

"When World's Collide" '51; another George Pal movie.

"Kronos" '57; you have to see it to believe it.

Oh my....
Now that is a list.
I'll be in my bunk.

"Fiend Without a Face" '58.

"The Lost Missile" '58.

"The Giant Claw" '57; this has got to be one of the worst "Big Ugly" movie ever made. You can actually see the strings holding up The Bird.

And a few Japanese "Classics".
"Atragon" '63'.

"Latitude Zero" '69.

"Gorath" '62.

"Reptilicus" '61; Denmark's answer to "Godzilla" '54.

These next three are so awful . . .

"The Wild Wild Planet" '65.
"The War of the Planets" '66.
"War Between the Planets" 66.

They came out of Italy and there was supposed to be a fourth in the series but it seems to have never been made.

"Battle Beneath the Earth" '67; because somebody thought that using a British actor in the part of a Chinese General was a good idea.

In classic sci-fi, the villain uses evil science, and the way to defeat evil science is to use good science because good science always conquers evil science.

I was watching Earth vs. the Flying Saucers. That was a great time for sci-fi because they could use old WW2 footage of stuff blowing up and the equipment isn't too out of date.

Michio Kaku talks about the probability of being visited by benevolent aliens. If they do visit, they're probably a million years more advanced than us, and we would look like ants to them. When we encounter an ant hill, do we tell them we offer them knowledge and science? No, we step on them (or pour molten aluminum into their nests) because that's what we do. He hopes that we never get visited by an alien civilization.

Also, everyone knows that UFOs only land in the USA, usually near Los Angeles.

As a kid the movie "Invaders from Mars" scared the crap out of me.

"Awakened during a thunderstorm, youngster David MacLean witnesses a brightly lit flying saucer disappear underground in the large sand pit behind his home. When his father investigates, he returns a changed man; soon David's mother, a young neighbor girl, and others begin to act in the same way. Begging the police for help, David's panicked story is heard by Dr. Pat Blake, who takes him to astronomer Dr. Stuart Kelston. David soon convinces Kelston, who comes to believe this is an invading vanguard from Mars."

As a kid the movie "Invaders from Mars" scared the crap out of me.

"Awakened during a thunderstorm, youngster David MacLean witnesses a brightly lit flying saucer disappear underground in the large sand pit behind his home. When his father investigates, he returns a changed man; soon David's mother, a young neighbor girl, and others begin to act in the same way. Begging the police for help, David's panicked story is heard by Dr. Pat Blake, who takes him to astronomer Dr. Stuart Kelston. David soon convinces Kelston, who comes to believe this is an invading vanguard from Mars."
That one scared me too. I remember it vividly.

Let us not forget "The Day the Earth Stood Still".
View attachment 454425View attachment 454425

YES!
The 1951 film with Michael Rennie, not that God Awful remake with Keanu Reeves.
Not even the inclusion of Jennifer Connelly could make that film watchable for a second time.

Speaki . . . writing of Mr. Rennie, try and find the 1966 film "Cyborg 2087" or the even more obscure 1968 "The Power".

Michio Kaku talks about the probability of being visited by benevolent aliens. If they do visit, they're probably a million years more advanced than us, and we would look like ants to them. When we encounter an ant hill, do we tell them we offer them knowledge and science? No, we step on them (or pour molten aluminum into their nests) because that's what we do. He hopes that we never get visited by an alien civilization.

Can a civilization really last "Millions of years"?
Can one even last thousands of years?
Perhaps the reason for the great silence and likewise the fact that we haven't already been visited or discovered evidence of intelligent life elsewhere is simply because no technological civilization lasts long enough to make much of an impact on even on their own solar system much less the Milky Way.

Personally I think that is there is something swanning around out there it will be some form of machine intelligence and doing so at ten to twenty percent of light speed.
It will have about as much interest in us and Earth like worlds as a horse would have in a pair of gloves.

I'm currently reading "Area X: The Southern Reach" trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer of which Annihilation is the first book in the series.
The movie shares the title with the book and not much else.

And with regards to the movie.
Four people going into the wilds for who knows how long and not one of them is wearing a HAT!!

"Fiend Without a Face" '58.

Yep, my link to the full movie on YouTube here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/fiend-without-a-face-classic-1958-scifi-film.163957/
"The Lost Missile" '58.

My old post about The Lost Missile. Well worth seeing, especially for free:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/sci-fi-monster-movies.141809/#post-1715914
Full movie (my original link in that old post is dead):

Considering how the then classified SLAM project was roughly like this supersonic missile with unlimited flight time and bad effects for people on the ground and how the outpost they talked with in the film was named "Keyhole" at the same time that spysat program name was beyond top secret, I wonder if there were some surprised indivduals from those projects when they saw this movie.

"The Giant Claw" '57; this has got to be one of the worst "Big Ugly" movie ever made. You can actually see the strings holding up The Bird.

Yeah, they used a special effects outfit in Mexico to save money and even then they ran out. I think I could have done a much better job myself.

And a few Japanese "Classics".
"Atragon" '63'.

"Latitude Zero" '69.

"Gorath" '62.
I'll have to check those out. Gorath sounds familiar.

I'm currently reading "Area X: The Southern Reach" trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer of which Annihilation is the first book in the series.
The movie shares the title with the book and not much else.

And with regards to the movie.
Four people going into the wilds for who knows how long and not one of them is wearing a HAT!!
Annihilation the film sounds like one of those many cases where it was best not to read the book before seeing.

Annihilation the film sounds like one of those many cases where it was best not to read the book before seeing.
As I did because before seeing the movie I had never heard of the books.

"Europa Report" 2013

"Predestination" 2014. Perhaps the most underrated and fascinating time travel movie and which should have earned Sarah Snook an Oscar nomination.

Perhaps the reason for the great silence and likewise the fact that we haven't already been visited or discovered evidence of intelligent life elsewhere is simply because no technological civilization lasts long enough to make much of an impact on even on their own solar system much less the Milky Way.

Personally I think that is there is something swanning around out there it will be some form of machine intelligence and doing so at ten to twenty percent of light speed.
It will have about as much interest in us and Earth like worlds as a horse would have in a pair of gloves.
See:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/why-alien-life-will-be-robotic.165129/

One of my favorite recent Sci-Fi movies is Arrival. Always a joy to watch. Took a couple of watches to figure it out.

Until they used the lame, lazy plot device of the “conservative” religious nut acting like an irrational idiot I thought “Arrival” was one of the best “hard” SF movies ever - so many more interesting and intriguing ways they could’ve introduced some conflict or a problem to move the plot than what they did.

Until they used the lame, lazy plot device of the “conservative” religious nut acting like an irrational idiot I thought “Arrival” was one of the best “hard” SF movies ever - so many more interesting and intriguing ways they could’ve introduced some conflict or a problem to move the plot than what they did.
I don't remember a conservative religious nut in the movie. Perhaps, you're remembering "Contact"?

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Pvt Lasky - who plants the bomb - we see him listening to talk radio and having a conversation with religious overtones with other soldiers - so many other things that could’ve been done, it just smacked of lazy writing to me and considering how well written and done the rest of the move was I found using a rather tired cliche glaring. Still a great sociological SF movie, which we don’t get many of since blowing stuff up tends to put more folks in theater seats 😉

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Pvt Lasky - who plants the bomb - we see him listening to talk radio and having a conversation with religious overtones with other soldiers - so many other things that could’ve been done, it just smacked of lazy writing to me and considering how well written and done the rest of the move was I found using a rather tired cliche glaring. Still a great sociological SF movie, which we don’t get many of since blowing stuff up tends to put more folks in theater seats 😉
Thanks for jogging my memory!

I had recently seen "Contact" so it's fresh in my mind.

Michio talks about the civilization levels. Level 1 can control the weather. Level 2 can scoop energy out of the sun and travel across the galaxy. Level 3 can travel anywhere. We can’t even predict the weather.

Makes a great double feature with Soylent GreenView attachment 454534
1615347928014.jpeg

There'a a TV series "Dust". It's made up of independant produced science fiction shorts. One of the shorts, "Bag Man',

has been made into a full-length feature film, "Kin",
It's about a kid that finds an alien weapon, and gets a bunch of bad guys after him.

Back