(Mostly) Classic Sci-fi on YouTube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turns out I was wrong.The Forbin Project was done in 1970 and Asimov's story wasn't published until 1975.I stand corrected.I wonder if Asimov might have gotten the idea for the story from the movie because the plot lines are very similar indeed.

One other aspect concerning "Forbidden Planet"' It was the first movie in which HUMANS are using a Saucer style spacecraft, before that it was always the Aliens in their Flying Saucers.

It might also be the first time FTL travel is mentioned*, certainly the first time humans are using it.

*Can't remember if "This Island Earth" mentions FTL or not,
While I liked the Patricia O' Neal/ Michael Rennie version ( HATED the remake) a lot, I really would have preferred to see a movie ACCURATELY based on the original story!

Kind of related. I see Apple TV is doing a series called Foundation based on Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. It's been a long time since I've reread the Foundation Trilogy so I started reading it again.

I've been reading for most of my life and I'm a big fan of Isaac Asimov, but I've never read the Foundation series as of yet.I love the collection of stories entitled The Bicentennial Man.His robotic stories are the best ones there are.He was the most prolific science fiction writer of all, he turned out stories at an amazing rate.His intelligence and thoughtfulness shone through his stories very brightly indeed.It's a shame he was taken from us so soon, he was a giant of Anerican literary fiction.

I've been reading for most of my life and I'm a big fan of Isaac Asimov, but I've never read the Foundation series as of yet.I love the collection of stories entitled The Bicentennial Man.His robotic stories are the best ones there are.He was the most prolific science fiction writer of all, he turned out stories at an amazing rate.His intelligence and thoughtfulness shone through his stories very brightly indeed.It's a shame he was taken from us so soon, he was a giant of Anerican literary fiction.
@skaffgeorge04 I agree. I have many of his books, including the robotic ones. It may be time again to reread all of them. :)

@skaffgeorge04 I agree. I have many of his books, including the robotic ones. It may be time again to reread all of them. :)
Yeah, same here.The Caves of Steel is a particularly good one.The Bicentennial Man is one of his best known and best written stories, the movie version with Robin William's wasn't bad but it didn't quite capture the story as well as the book did.I'm also a big Frank Herbert fan, The Dune Chronicles are a masterpiece of imagination, I've reread them so many times I practically have them memorized.There's also Dan Simmons wonderful Hyperion, which was a Hugo Award winner for the Best Science Fiction Novel.Don't pass that one up, it's worth every penny and then some.

Well worth watching, IMO. Film is in perfect condition.

The 27th Day (1957)

Five Earthlings are abducted by aliens and are each given a capsule that can release a weapon so deadly that all of human-kind will be destroyed. This is a test of sorts: if all five can resist using the weapon for twenty-seven days, mankind will continue on Earth, but should anyone of them release the weapon, all human life will be destroyed and the aliens will take the Earth as their new home. When their alien abductor makes the identities of the five known in a world-wide broadcast, they all become hunted either by the curious or their own governments. As the paranoia mounts, Man threatens to destroy itself through war, without the use of the alien weapon.

The 27th Day (1957)

Five Earthlings are abducted by aliens and are each given a capsule that can release a weapon so deadly that all of human-kind will be destroyed. This is a test of sorts: if all five can resist using the weapon for twenty-seven days, mankind will continue on Earth, but should anyone of them release the weapon, all human life will be destroyed and the aliens will take the Earth as their new home. When their alien abductor makes the identities of the five known in a world-wide broadcast, they all become hunted either by the curious or their own governments. As the paranoia mounts, Man threatens to destroy itself through war, without the use of the alien weapon.

I think I might have seen this one but I'm not quite sure.Really like the premise though, it sounds a lot more intelligent than your usual 50's flicks.

The 27th Day (1957)

Loved this movie!

"Species" '95; wherein every man in America wanted to be Alfred Molina's character, right up to the moment they didn't.

"Mimic" '97; a movie that will really bug you.

"Galaxina" '80; about the only chance you'll have of ever seeing the incomparably beautiful Dorothy Stratten on the big screen.

"Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone" '83; in which you get to see a young Molly Ringwald get her "Road Warrior" on. This was a "B" movie that was actually enjoyable to watch, you got the feeling that the producers were hoping it would spawn sequels.

"Cherry 2000" '87; in which you get to see a young Melanie Griffith get her "Road Warrior" on. There's been talk for some time about a remake of this movie but as of yet . . .

Anyone ever watch Krul?
What I remember is it was a disappointment.

Anyone ever watch Krul?
What I remember is it was a disappointment.
Yes, I remember Krull and I rather enjoyed it.It seems that English movie making sensibilities are much different than ours.I like the way this movie was filmed, it had an interesting quality to it.Another comparable one would be Dragonslayer, which is another English production and a really good one at that.

I Absolutely LOVED Dragon Slayer!!!! One of my all time favorite movies!
I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times I watch it, and I'm not missing any either....yet.
There is another one you probably remember. I can't remember the name of it.
But in the end it was like a giant white thing with horns, and this guy took a huge construction crane and grounded it to kill it. It all started by finding some space ship while digging under the streets, which I can't remember why...

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times I watch it, and I'm not missing any either....yet.
But in the end it was like a giant white thing with horns, and this guy took a huge construction crane and grounded it to kill it. It all started by finding some space ship while digging under the streets, which I can't remember why...
Yeah, DragonSlayer is one of the coolest movies I've seen, haven't seen it in years though.Gonna get the dvd along with Krull.Those English fantasy movies all have a really cool look to them and and the acting is usually very good.First Men On the Moon from the sixties was an English film too and I love that one.I'm a big fan of English science fiction and comedy.

Woody, look earlier in this thread for 5 Million Years to Earth, aka Quatermass and the Pit. Somewhere there's a link to the movie that you can watch for free.

Woody, look earlier in this thread for 5 Million Years to Earth, aka Quatermass and the Pit. Somewhere there's a link to the movie that you can watch for free.
Ah yes, I knew that Quatermass was the one he was talking about, just wasn't sure about the title.I must have seen this one hundreds of times on the Sy FY channel, as well as some others.Pretty cool,except it does get a little strange towards the end.Can you imagine digging up a ship like that and find it full of dead aliens that look like grasshoppers on steroids?Ick.

Ah yes, I knew that Quatermass was the one he was talking about, just wasn't sure about the title.I must have seen this one hundreds of times on the Sy FY channel, as well as some others.Pretty cool,except it does get a little strange towards the end.Can you imagine digging up a ship like that and find it full of dead aliens that look like grasshoppers on steroids?Ick.

This is the ONE, count'em, ONE movie that caused me a "bad dream wake up screaming" event as a child. It was a pretty cool film, icky when the grasshopper goo started flowing, but the scene at the end of the devil grasshopper thing freaked my first-grader mind out. This one, here:
1616796613601.png

At the time I slept with a nightlight and that night, it was casting a shadow of my opened curtain shade that looked like a tall thing with horns. It broke me.

Love the movie though; have watched it several times.

This is the ONE, count'em, ONE movie that caused me a "bad dream wake up screaming" event as a child. It was a pretty cool film, icky when the grasshopper goo started flowing, but the scene at the end of the devil grasshopper thing freaked my first-grader mind out. This one, here:
View attachment 457207

At the time I slept with a nightlight and that night, it was casting a shadow of my opened curtain shade that looked like a tall thing with horns. It broke me.

Love the movie though; have watched it several times.
Yep, definitely one that would freak you out if you were a kid, fortunately I was older when I first saw it.The ending confused me a little though,i wasn't quite sure what that thing was supposed to be.

Unlike most colorized films I've seen, this one appears to do a decent job although since I've seen the film multiple time in B&W, I only sampled this one:

Earth Vs The Flying Saucers 1956 | Full Movie | COLORIZED Horror, Sci-Fi, Full Length Film HD 1080p

"Krull" can often be found selling together with "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone" on e-bay.

Back