Most Reliable Way To Ignite Clustered BP Engines?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rule that kc9rod quoted is unclear. It says "I will launch my rockets with an electrical launch system and electrical motor igniters". By including the adjective "motor", I could argue that the intent was that the igniter should directly light the motor, and not be used indirectly by, for example, lighting a fuse, a flash pan, or a spider that then ignites the motor. The final clause could indeed be read as implicitly forbidding all such intermediary igniters; if it was intended that they be permitted, the final clause is unnecessary and confusing. The fact that it's there implies that the "electrical launch system and electrical motor igniters" is the complete and comprehensive list of items that can be used to ignite the motor. What other purpose does the clause serve, what other ignition systems does it prohibit given the "electrical launch system" requirement?

Phrasing the rule as: "I will launch my rockets with an electrical launch system using only electrical motor igniters" would more clearly eliminate using any intermediate devices (fuses, etc) in motor ignition. Conversely, eliminating the final clause and phrasing the rule as "I will launch my rockets with an electrical launch system. " would get rid of any confusion about such intermediate devices - they wouldn't be explicitly prohibited, and there would be no dangling question of whether they were implicitly prohibited. Frankly, I'm more in favor of removing the clause.

I would, however, bow to the wisdom of the long-term rocketeers as to the actual meaning here; just pointing out that it's not written as clearly as it could be.

The rule that kc9rod quoted is unclear. It says "I will launch my rockets with an electrical launch system and electrical motor igniters". By including the adjective "motor", I could argue that the intent was that the igniter should directly light the motor, and not be used indirectly by, for example, lighting a fuse, a flash pan, or a spider that then ignites the motor. The final clause could indeed be read as implicitly forbidding all such intermediary igniters; if it was intended that they be permitted, the final clause is unnecessary and confusing. The fact that it's there implies that the "electrical launch system and electrical motor igniters" is the complete and comprehensive list of items that can be used to ignite the motor. What other purpose does the clause serve, what other ignition systems does it prohibit given the "electrical launch system" requirement?

Phrasing the rule as: "I will launch my rockets with an electrical launch system using only electrical motor igniters" would more clearly eliminate using any intermediate devices (fuses, etc) in motor ignition. Conversely, eliminating the final clause and phrasing the rule as "I will launch my rockets with an electrical launch system. " would get rid of any confusion about such intermediate devices - they wouldn't be explicitly prohibited, and there would be no dangling question of whether they were implicitly prohibited. Frankly, I'm more in favor of removing the clause.

I would, however, bow to the wisdom of the long-term rocketeers as to the actual meaning here; just pointing out that it's not written as clearly as it could be.

I'm curious as to what @Steve Shannon has to say about using fuses for model rocket motor ignition?

Last edited:
A successful launch was made with three wires directly fireing the motors wired in parallel. It took three attempts and a rocket repair to make it happen.

I still would like to find a definitive answer about fuses. The purpose of the safety code is to keep everyone and everything as safe as possible. The reason for using an electrical fireing system is that it puts the launch control at a safe distance and it causes the launch to happen almost instantaneously in case something were to happen to alter the flight path berween launch command and motor fireing. using flashbulb and quick burning fuse is almost as fast as direct fireing. The difference being measured in milliseconds. I don't see where it would be a safety issue.

Back