Most Cost-Effective 38mm case?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious to know which 38mm case is the most flexible for the most propellant choices. Which case has the most overall loads for it in all propellant types (EX excluded)? Which case will likely get the Pro38 propellants when they make them Universal?

Yes, I'm talking about AT/Dr. Rocket cases.

Jason

I believe pretty much all casings short of the 38/1080 (for the J570W only) have all 4 propellant choices available. Most "bang for the buck" is probably starting with a system like the 38/240-360, which has one set of closures with the 240 & 360 casings. Then you can buy the 480, 600, 720, & 1080 tubes as needed...

BTW, rumor has it (or at least a post on Magnum's "What's New" page with yesterday's date) indicates that Dr Rocket casings are going to go through a price increase within the next week :eek: Get 'em cheap while ya can!

Lastly, I wouldn't hold my breath on using Pro38 propellant with AT casings in the near future... But perhaps Anthony will chime in with a more definite answer about that. :confused:

Actually the Dr Rocket 38mm system includes the the 240,360 and 480 cases, both closures and seal disc. It gives you a wide range of choices and I'd agree that it's probably your best option. If you want to fly the bigger loads occasionally, borrow or buy a 600 or 720 case. I'd suggest buying the 600, as after that you might want to jump to 54mm.

If you're only going to buy one motor, and you're not sure what types of stuff you'll be flying, go in the middle of the range, the 480. It'll be too big for some stuff and too small for others. But you'll only be saving about $25 vs. the whole set, which is the cost of the 240 case.

You may also want to ask around your club about used stuff. I know several fliers that got rid of some or all of their 38mm stuff when they graduated to 54mm and 75mm rockets.

Also there's no BT or BJ 720 loads that I'm aware of, so it and the 1080 are the "least versatile" cases.

-bill

Another suggestion for the 38/240-480 system... many many options in that system....

The 720 case does have a White lightening (J350) and a redline (J420) load for it, those are the only ones i'm aware of..

The J420, hmmm i've seen em burn remind me of a red, blue thunder, on quick off quick.. i like em

I've seen the J420 before...HUGE flame...amazing burn!

Droool....

I'm thinkin' I'll get the 38/240-480 system, and then buy more cases as I want them. What case is the I357 in? That's my favorite BT motor.

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
I've seen the J420 before...HUGE flame...amazing burn!

Droool....

I'm thinkin' I'll get the 38/240-480 system, and then buy more cases as I want them. What case is the I357 in? That's my favorite BT motor.

Jason

38/360

480 burns the I211 which by itself is a great motor.. as well as the I285 which is another great redline load... if you like redlines you'll like it... i've burnt two of them so far and they are nice...

Oh yeah, I'm itching to burn an I285 myself.

I may fly one in my Binder Stealth this weekend. Weather permitting of course.

I figure the I285 will take her to about 2,500-2,600 feet.:D

Originally posted by firemanup
Another suggestion for the 38/240-480 system... many many options in that system....

The 720 case does have a White lightening (J350) and a redline (J420) load for it, those are the only ones i'm aware of..

The J420, hmmm i've seen em burn remind me of a red, blue thunder, on quick off quick.. i like em

The new I600R fits that case, too. It's a full I and FAST. The reason it doesn't come out as a J is because of the larger grain dia. that lightens them up a bit and adds a buttload of thrust, really pumping the avg. thrust up there. But of course it does take away from the total impulse. I don't care...it's the coolest L-1 motor IMHO.

Back