More Stuff From The Dump

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxxREKxxx

Reaction score
One of the best things about being a municipal employee is we get to pick the dump:cool: or as we call it "The Mall". I have a running list in my head of things to look for so when I spied a camera tripod, I immediately thought launch pad. I grabbed it and noticed that the head was loose but a little epoxy would fix that. As soon as I got a drill chuck I could mount it on and start flying. Three more steps brought me to a busted up Black and Decker power drill with intact drill chuck. Right into the pocket with that. By this time I was pretty cold and headed back to the truck. Now the crowning touch! A quick peek into an old tool box in the dirt reveled two brand new tubes of 20 minute epoxy. Mr. Man! I got everything I needed. I put on a blast deflector made from an NCO Club sign from the old Pease AFB. Total cost: $0.00 :D

Here is the proof.
Bob

One more of a spool ready to go. We didn't fly it, CD's and pavement don't play well together:(

A truly fine job! Speaking as a junk-a-holic (you should see my garage) to someone who has obviously perfected the art, you have created a masterpiece.
The thing that really amazes me about this is that the little side-brace-links on your tripod appear to be intact----these things ALWAYS seem to bust off of every tripod that I get. Someday when I'm rich maybe I'll buy a tripod that is better-built.

that thing is pro. the dump is more like a treasure trove

man you cant beat the price

I also scored an old belt sander and about 25 feet of tow chain but thats not rocket related so i didn't mention it:)
Bob

nice, do you go to CMASS launches? I dont know how close Deerfeild is but I would like to see your tripod and you could always spread some of that wealth to other TRF members :D ;) ;)

OOOO, you live near here, do you? bring it to a CMASS launch this spring! I wanna see! Does your dump-found belt sander still work????? if it does, SCORE for you! Maybe Ill forget being an electritian and just go work at a dump in some city...:rolleyes: Naww... Never mind. electritian sounds better:eek:

As a matter of fact I hit my first CMASS launch last November. It was the last of the season and now I cant wait for them to start up again. I'll be at the next for certain. I just got started rebuilding the "DuckRoc" so it will be ready for that. I've been busy bulding this winter so I should have a full truck of rockets and dump swag at the next launch and yeah the sander works:cool:
Bob

Oh yeah, that mallard-painted fliskits "drake" rocket was yours, wasnt it... I saw that thread... "drake" means "male mallard", right?

Originally posted by REK
As a matter of fact I hit my first CMASS launch last November. It was the last of the season and now I cant wait for them to start up again.

April 17th 2004 :D

Did you talk to me at the last launch? My table is always next to Jim Flis's?

Originally posted by n3tjm
April 17th 2004 :D

Did you talk to me at the last launch? My table is always next to Jim Flis's?

Why? Did I say something nasty?:D :D :D

No seriously, I did speak to you very briefly. I was trying to buy some stuff from Jim, it was actually he who suggested that I come to the launch, and there were two very rude spectators interupting every time I began to speak. I decided to come back later and your table caught my eye (along with everything else on the field). You were running of to one of the HP pads with something enormous!

I have just been flying my own rockets with my kids and myself and never realized that there were these big organized events. I spent most of the day slack-jawed and glassy-eyed. It took several days for my arm to stop pointing up and my head to return to looking level.

April 17 is wide open for me and I'll be there. I've got a BBII, a Phoenix, Praetor, and of course the 6 Million Dollar Duck to fly. Jim was out of Deuces that day (surprize?) but I plan on one of those also, maybe a Tres , maybe an RR:eek:
Hopefully I'll make more of an impression:D See you there
Bob

hmm I dont remember if that was the launch I flew my V2 or not. Anyway I will be at the launch on the 17th, thats my birthday. I will need to get some Pro Loads and fly some bigger stuff....my V2 and my Sandhawk are dieing to be flown

Originally posted by REK
I did speak to you very briefly.... I decided to come back later and your table caught my eye (along with everything else on the field). You were running of to one of the HP pads with something enormous!

:D

That would of been my Magnum :). Did you see her fly?

Originally posted by n3tjm
:D

That would of been my Magnum :). Did you see her fly?

I'm sure I did but I saw so much stuff in the air that day that I could'nt keep track of it all.

The most prominent thing I do remember was driving into the field just as a rocket was going up. I had my GPSr on and it put me about .7 mi. from the launch area and that rocket was LOUD at that distance! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Back