Oh, I should tell you all that the 'Flamer' did NOT have a good flight as the photo was shot. It came down, and I suspect that either the ground was to blame, or the noze cone banging against it, but a huge chunk of fin was removed sometime during the flight.. Easily repairable... when I get aroudn to it!
as for the flames:
base coat: white
then, prepare teh mask. In this case, you need to wrap teh BT with teh mask, and have the edges line up. Like you do with the cut-out in many kit instructins, for the fin alignment marks. I used 'frisket film', but have used masking tape in teh past. I measured out an appropriate lenth, and width ( to fit around teh BT, with a little overlap)
I then drew and cut out teh flame pattern, ensureing the edges match up, the 'flame cut out's match up.
Then apply teh mask to the rocket. take your time, and take care when doing it / laying it donw!
mask teh rest of teh rocket, and paint!
I started with a yellow around teh tips [lower thrid] of teh flames, then added teh red on top. So, there is a transition from yellow to a 'mixed orange' (overspray) then teh red, heavy on the nose. Also, it's a light spray, so, if you got close to it, you'd see it is mostly little 'paint dots'
This is the runway of my R/C club feild. I fly RC airplanes, and sometimes us the flying feild as my launch area. The pilots love taht I bring a bit of 'high flight' excitement to the feild. And there is always teh joke about my 'sam site' on the flight line!!
One day... one day, I'll try to shoot a plane outta teh sky!!
The flying feild is in the middle of a farmer's feild. We have a short section of grass , and a paved runway, and around us in just about every direction are soy bean plants. Corn in the w-ay distance..