More Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carldoc

Reaction score
I'm done building the clone! Now, for paint. The Estes directions say Orange for the Body. Yet, every RM looks red to me. Anyone have suggestions as to paint?:confused:

Absolutely go with Red. Krylon is perfect, or if you can get some Zynolite red from your hardware store, it applies even smoother (and is nearly a perfect match on the Krylon red color.)

say, i was wondering...

...would anyone have a picture of Der Red Max??

:D :D :D

"as and ye shall receive..." :)

Gee, Jim, might know where to find a picture.

Oh yea! Here's one.

Yep, that's me!

sandman

I wanna show mine, I wanna show mine...

Red_Max_and_Lil_Nuk3.jpg

Wish I had a T-Shirt like that:(

Eric F.

Thanks Sandman,

I saw the picture fine. It took awhile to load because it was a BMP.

I really like those shirts

I forgot to mention that when I made the Clone DRM I took out the 18mm motor mount and put in a 24mm. Needless to say it's in a tree right now :mad:

Eric F.

Most definitely go with red.

Here is my version:
derredmax.jpg

and here one in orange without Der Red Max decals:
deluxebigredmax.jpg

Never turn down an opportunity to show off the "MAX"...

by the way...
RED...!!!

This is one of my all-time favorite rockets. It was my best build (and finish) as a kid. That model is long gone, but I have the original nose cone! After seeing this thread, I think I'm gonna have to build me a new one!

Great pics everyone!!

Stymye: How did you get that great looking matte finish on your red max??

Just got my 100th post!! I know it doesn't compare to some, but it feels good none the less.

This is a great forum!!

Bill
Testor Dull Cote
with the Alps decals from Jim Z,,,Krylon destroyed the first set

congats on the post milestone !

Thanks, guys....red it is! By the way, those are some GREAT looking Rockets....I hope mine comes out as good.

RED, ist der color. VERSTEDT, MEIN HERR?

Here is a pic of my Vinatge mid 1970's red max, launched this summer on a B6-4.

LOVE the der Red Max!

Has anyone attempted that neato camo scheme shown in the plans/instructions?

I once thought about the camo ...
but then it wouldn't be...
RED ...!!! LOL

I always thought of doing the camo in RED with black or grey-black wavy patterns.... Now that I have a good airbrush, I am feeling the need to make a clone and paint it this way sometime this winter.

I have seen a couple of different "clone" kits of Max out there, any thoughts as to which one is the best?

My vote is to clone it yourself.

Plans are available on Jim Z' website:

https://www.dars.org/jimz/est0651.htm

All of the parts are available form BMS:

https://www.balsamachining.com/

You can get the decals from Tango Papa:

https://www.tangopapadecals.com/

I usually buy the balsa from my local hobby shop, so that I can choose the hardest grain and straightest piece in the shop.

Once you make your first clone by the above methods, you will find that you are no longer limited to the clones that are commercially produced.

Oh man, I just checked out the Tango Papa site. I never should have seen that. At least, that is what my wife would say. :D

Back