More on dinosaur extinction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Perhaps it was in 1999 or 2000 when I was reading what I believe was a university associated forum where people were debating whether the dinosaur extinction was primarily caused by the Chicxulub impact or the Deccan Traps eruptions. From the level of the discussion, terminology used, and their claims of direct involvement in actual research on the subject, I assumed it was more than just interested amateurs discussing the subject. I was already collecting meteorites, was greatly interested in meteorite impacts and their remaining craters on Earth and had already read a lot about about large impacts and their effects. I had found the forum and read there just that one day. I asked, to paraphrase, "Where was the antipodal point of the Chicxulub impact situated at that time considering continental drift. Could that have activated or reactivated the Deccan Traps at the time of the impact?" as I had not seen that possibility mentioned anywhere in my reading in the forum or anywhere else online at that time. No response.

Do volcanoes or an asteroid deserve blame for dinosaur extinction?
February 21, 2019

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-volcanoes-asteroid-blame-dinosaur-extinction.html

In 2013, using rocks from Montana, they obtained the most precise date yet for the impact, and in 2018, they updated that to 66,052,000 years ago, give or take 8,000 years. Then, in 2015, they determined from a handful of samples in India that, in at least one spot, the peak of the Deccan Traps eruptions occurred within about 50,000 years of that date, which means, in geologic time, that the incidents were basically simultaneous.

This supports the group's hypothesis that the asteroid impact triggered super-earthquakes that caused a strong burst of volcanism in India, which is almost directly opposite the impact site, the Chicxulub crater in the Caribbean Sea.

Last edited:
Back