More new kits from Estes!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
I just spotted this on Estes' site. Yet another new, builder kit coming from Estes - the #7249 Expedition:
https://www.estesrockets.com/coming-soon/007249-expeditiontm
007249_package.jpg

It looks like this one actually uses BT-70 tubing. When was the last time Estes produced a kit that used BT-70 (my favorite size)? It looks to also use the recent HoJo molded cone.

Next, Nike-Apache! Also looks cool, though unfortunately too small in diameter for a JL CR to fit. Looks like a nice entry-level scale model (skill level 1):
007254_package.jpg

And! The neat little Airborne Surveillance Missle returns!
007257_package.jpg

But wait! There's more: a 2-stage saucer, the Twin Factor!
007250_package.jpg

In other news, Estes appears to pushing the release of the Saturn V kit back to late July. AC Supply's site shows August, though...

The Nike Apache has me thinking: two stage conversion. Top tube has to be large enough for a mini motor at least.

The Nike Apache and the twin factor are both begging for two-stage upgrades!

And not a 3FNC ready to fly model in the bunch. Is this the golden age or what ?

huzzah-poster.jpg

BDB - the Twin Factor is already a stager right out of the box.

My bad....I was fooled by the 150'.

It looks like this one actually uses BT-70 tubing. When was the last time Estes produced a kit that used BT-70 (my favorite size)? It looks to also use the recent HoJo molded cone.

Yes, it is BT-70 tubing.

The shrouds on the side of the lower body tube are cut from BT-60.

Trying to copy the paint scheme will be challenging... :wink:

The Expedition looks to have some tube slicing as well as transition shrouds. I am really looking forward to that one.

+1 on the Two stage conversion on the Nike Apache. I have been thinking about converting my 2.6 Madcow Nike and my Estes D-Region into the same setup.

Bringing back one of my old favorites.... The Airborne Surveillance Missle....hmmm I wonder if the Mars Snooper II is on the horizon......

Cool stuff! I'd like to build them all but I would start with the Expedition. I'm sure soon enough someone will make a cluster out of one.

Looks like the Expedition is the mystery rocket whose parts were pictured for the new Nike Smoke.

Great to see some of the old standards being brought back into production. I lost my Nike-Apache to the rocket eating trees a couple years ago. Looks like i'll be able to get it back in the fleet.
OBTW: Two staging the Nike-Apache would be most difficult as anyone wanting to do so would have to replace the Blow Molded Transition but Yes the Upper stage Apache is BT-5.

I did build a all Clear tubing night flying NIke-Apache but it is only single staged. Everything including the fins, bodies and transitions Illuminate.

REALLY KEWL that they are bringing back so many GOOD old kits as well as new offerings.

052-sm_Nike-Apache 12.73 scale_02-19-90.jpg

670a1-sm_Phantom NITE Nike-Apache wo Shield_08-30-07.jpg

Estes definitely seems to be thinking outside the box. I wonder if the Estes Twin Factor sets the record for the lowest maximum altitude for a 2 stage rocket at 150 feet? Either way, I am sure the rocket will be a blast to watch.

Best regards,
Brian

Estes definitely seems to be thinking outside the box. I wonder if the Estes Twin Factor sets the record for the lowest maximum altitude for a 2 stage rocket at 150 feet? Either way, I am sure the rocket will be a blast to watch.

Best regards,
Brian

There is also the FlisKits Frick-N-Frack but that is 18mm and this is 13mm although the altitude should be about the same.:wink:

That Expedition looks like an effort to help use the new HOJO nosecone. Perhaps a larger Deep Space Transport will be in our future. That complicated lower body shape will prevent me from simming it in OR until we get an updated version that allows those kinds of shapes.

When someone gets their hands on the Airborne Surveillance Missile, I'd like to get some scans of the fins... I'd thought about doing a .ork for it.

The nose cone used in the Expedition kit is from the tool used to make the BT-55 Honest John nose cone of years past. The Transition used on the Nike Apache is from the original tool of this kit from back in the day.

John Boren

The nose cone used in the Expedition kit is from the tool used to make the BT-55 Honest John nose cone of years past. The Transition used on the Nike Apache is from the original tool of this kit from back in the day.

John Boren

Thanks for that info! With that I might be able to re-create the HOJO that I loaned to the school in Grants Pass.

"It's the Climate".
Flew & lost a few rockets up at North M.S. back in the day. ('76-'77)

I was just thinking today that the Expedition would indeed make a cool upscale MPR/HPR canted 3-motor rocket.

Estes' offerings this year have already surpassed 1991's which, IMO, is saying a lot.

I was just thinking today that the Expedition would indeed make a cool upscale MPR/HPR canted 3-motor rocket.
Well, if you used, say, Madcow's 2.6" HoJo nose cone, that would scale the main body tube to almost 4.5". You'd probably have to make due with standard 4" tubes, and use 3" tubes for the canted pods. The overall height would be a little over 51". It might be light enough to lift with 3x 29mm BP motors, though the nose cone itself is 9oz...

Well, if you used, say, Madcow's 2.6" HoJo nose cone, that would scale the main body tube to almost 4.5". You'd probably have to make due with standard 4" tubes, and use 3" tubes for the canted pods. The overall height would be a little over 51". It might be light enough to lift with 3x 29mm BP motors, though the nose cone itself is 9oz...

Yes, there we go. 3x29mm, but with big blue flames would hit the spot.

Expedition looks vaguely (if you squint) like a downscaled LOC Expediter. Expedition/Expediter...Hmmm.
-Ken

Looks like I'm going to have to order me some kits! Freaking LOVE the Nike-Apache!

Back