More new (interesting) kits coming from Estes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
Looks like Estes is adding a couple other interesting builder's kits to their line this fall in addition to the SBB. Red Nova appears to have a ram-jet style cone on a BT60 tube, with a 2-stage-like appearance. I'd imagine a conversion to actual 2-stage wouldn't be tough. https://www.estesrockets.com/coming-soon/007266-red-novatm

7266_red_nova_main_image_for_web_9.25.17.jpg
parts_layout_9.18.17_1.jpg

And then there's the Astron Explorer (). I'll forgive using the Astron name on something that wasn't part of the old Estes lineup, since this model has a lot going for it. Though it isn't big enough to accomodate a JLCR (its BT55 tube), it appears to have pods, a baffle, stands 3.5' tall and has a 24mm mount. Funky nose cone aside (never been a fan of that cone myself), this would make a cool upscale to something high power...

7264_astron_explorer_main_image_for_web_9.25.17.jpg
parts_layout_wrong_small_nosecone_9.18.17.jpg

I can't quite tell what's going on in the middle, but the parts photograph shows a second (pointy conical) cone, which is what appears to be in the lower body structure. So, Trident-style porting, maybe? Jumpjet has been earning his keep over there, it seems... :cool:

I can't quite tell what's going on in the middle, but the parts photograph shows a second (pointy conical) cone, which is what appears to be in the lower body structure. So, Trident-style porting, maybe? Jumpjet has been earning his keep over there, it seems... :cool:

I think you have it correct. I was stumped by the second nose cone but it seems that that's exactly what's sitting there in the middle, between the white parts of the pods, and therefore I would have to assume it does indeed use trident-style porting.

And yet it's "only" a skill level 3; the original Trident was a 4, not sure about the Trident II. Need to see a picture against a non-white background to see what that middle section really looks like. I can't decide if I love it or not, but it certainly is interesting.

I think that one just might meet my "Not 3 fins and a nosecone" qualification for potential kit-buys.

Picked up a Protostar from Hobby Lobby recently. Classic sci-fi spaceliner styling with option for E-power. Skill Level 3.

Have you looked at the instructions yet? I'm curious how you actually treat the nose cone/wing pod thingies. Do you cut off the shoulders and cap them, or what exactly?

Here's a picture of the three new kits which were just announced.

The Super Big Bertha is in a bag but the kit is changing to a box when it becomes available.
The change was required because the body tubes were getting damaged during shipment.

Three New Estes Kits 09-30-17.jpg

The Red Nova is now on the "What's New" page of the Estesrockets.com website. Looking forward to hearing more about this one as folks start building...

You know, I like all three of these, a lot, for different versions.

I was hoping they'd do another 'mega' upscale. Really miss the Mega-Mossie and MDRM.

-Hans

My Mega Mosquito is one of my favorites - flies so nice and looks good doing it. Wish I'd grabbed a MDRM when AC Supply had them in stock. Won't make the same mistake with the new Bertha Grande! Though both the MM and MDRM shouldn't be too hard to clone...all it takes is time and money!

I think a Pro version of the Mosquito would be awesome. I will buy a couple of the berthas.

I prefer the Aerotech F-12J personally in my Mega-Mosquito. Probably my most flown rocket.

The Astron Explorer might not use the Trident style porting, notice the baffle looking parts dead center of parts picture, just to the left of the fins. My guess is that the conical NC gets the tip and the base cut off and it ports through the center into the baffle in the upper tube, just a guess though on my part.

The Astron Explorer might not use the Trident style porting, notice the baffle looking parts dead center of parts picture, just to the left of the fins. My guess is that the conical NC gets the tip and the base cut off and it ports through the center into the baffle in the upper tube, just a guess though on my part.

My thinking was that the pointy tip of the middle cone looks awfully small for ejection gas venting (although I can't say I know exactly how big it would need to be). Also there's that solid disk just above the baffle disk, which could go below the middle cone to seal it off and direct the gasses to the side tubes (where else would that solid disk go?)

Still all just guessing, at least until someone has one or until Estes puts the instructions up. Or until Jumpjet chimes in. :)

The Astron Explorer does use the ducted-tube venting for the ejection charge gases.

John (Jumpjet) told me about cutting the correct vent slots.

I've got one of the kits but I do not plan to open the bag anytime soon. :wink:

It would seem that the mystery of the Astron Explorer can now be solved; Estes has moved it from the Coming Soon to New Releases page as of today, in stock.

Spotted a Red Nova at a local shop, and actually decided to pass on it for now. By the look of the package I had expected a two-stage. Still a cool looking rocket but it's in a well filled part of my current fleet.

-Hans

I picked up a Red Nova and am debating maybe getting a second to convert to a gap-staged 2-stage. It looks like it should go easy enough.

As of today, the Super Big Bertha is also now available, in stock on their website.

And then there's the Astron Explorer (). I'll forgive using the Astron name on something that wasn't part of the old Estes lineup, since this model has a lot going for it. Though it isn't big enough to accomodate a JLCR (its BT55 tube), it appears to have pods, a baffle, stands 3.5' tall and has a 24mm mount. Funky nose cone aside (never been a fan of that cone myself), this would make a cool upscale to something high power...

Looks like someone has an overstock of nosecones. :wink:

Uhmmm.... Is it me, or does that image of the assembled rocket look like it can't be made from the parts in the other picture? Those smaller nosecones don't seem to jive with the shapes seen in the other photo.

Also the guys who did the image of the assembled model should realize that the conic section in the middle is really hard to see against the white background. If there was a contrasting color behind it it'd really pop out a lot better. As it is now, being aware of the center section, I honestly thought it was a derivative of the BiDent.

I was expecting to see 2-sets of three pod cones like the Trident(short leading, long trailing). I have seen the parts pic here before but didn't see the diff. Good catch K'Tesh!

I dunno, they look pretty OK to me. The paint job does play tricks with it. I only just figured out today that it had 3 fins and 3 pods, indexed 60 degrees from each other. My first impression was that there were 2 pods 180 degrees apart, each 90 degrees from the "top" fin. It wasn't until I studied the included jigs that I realized the difference. I agree that the cats that did the imaging could've gone that extra light year...

I dunno, they look pretty OK to me. The paint job does play tricks with it. I only just figured out today that it had 3 fins and 3 pods, indexed 60 degrees from each other.

started to comment without thinking it through
How do you kill a post?

Hit cancel in the bottom right before posting. Otherwise a moderator or administrator has to delete it.

I should have said that I had already commented (posted), then re-read what I was replying to and saw my mistake. Oh well, maybe I'll learn to read better....

Red Nova appears to have a ram-jet style cone on a BT60 tube, with a 2-stage-like appearance. I'd imagine a conversion to actual 2-stage wouldn't be tough. l:

Gap ignition wouldn’t be hard, but given length of booster/position of fins, how do you keep booster from coming in ballistic? Rig a streamer to come out of sustainer?

Back