More LEUP Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrowolf67

Reaction score
While still deciding whether or not to go for it, a few questions came to mind. Mainly dealing with the minimum distances. According to what I've read, with low explosives, there is to be a distance of 75 feet minimum from any inhabited structure. I've seen reports, and pics, of people who have obtained a LEUP, with their magazine being in their garage, which is attached to their house. How is this done? Is there an exemption that is granted or something? Is it just the differences in inspecting agents?

Astro,

You need to follow the NFPA code and will find a section in there talking about an indoor magazine. To answer in short, yes, many LEUP holders get a variance from the agent that comes out to inspect and this is usually not a problem.

Carl

David: its called a variance...... You 1st go to your local fire chief....
the ATFE allows for such at your local fire chief's discretion....
email me offline for more specific info if u like...

I figured I would just post the information here for all to see.

from NFPA 1127:

NFPA 1127: High Power Rocketry

This section deals with motors over 62.5 grams, here is the important stuff on storage requirements:

Section 4.19: Storage of High Power Rocket Motors, Motor Reloading Kits, and Pyrotechnic Modules.

4.19.1: High power rocket motors, motor reloading kits, and pyrotechnic modules shall be stored at least 7.6 m (25 ft) from smoking, open flames and other sources of heat.

4.19.2: Not more than 23 kg (50 pounds) of net propellant weight of high power rocket motors, motor reloading kits, and pyrotechnic modules subject to storage requirements of 27CFR 55 shall be stored in a Type 3 or Type 4 indoor magazine.

4.19.2.1: The indoor magazine shall be painted red and the top shall bear the following words in white letters at least 76mm (3 in) high: EXPLOSIVES – KEEP FIRE AWAY

4.19.2.2: The indoor magazine shall not be located in a residence.

4.19.2.3: The indoor magazine shall be permitted to be located in a detached garage or out building.

4.19.2.4: The indoor magazine shall be permitted to be located in an attached garage of a single-family residence where approved by the authority having jurisdiction and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

https://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/revrule/rules/2002-3.htm

Notice 4.19.2.3 and 4.19.2.4

the "authority having jurisdiction(AHJ)" referenced here is your local Fire department fire chief.... There may be both city and county fire regulations....

Get your local AHJ to OK it and the Feds will also OK it....

For example, in the state of Kentucky, NFPA 1 Chapter 65 has been adopted as state law......

65-5 Model Rocketry. The design, construction, limitations of propellant mass and power, and reliability of model rocket motors and model rocket motor reloading kits and their components produced commercially for sale to or use by the public for purposes of education, recreation, and sporting competition
shall comply with NFPA 1122, Code for Model Rocketry.
65-6 Rocketry Manufacturing.
65-6.1 The manufacture of model rocket motors designed, sold, and used for the purpose of propelling recoverable aero models shall comply with NFPA 1125, Code for the Manufacture of Model Rocket and High Power Rocket
Motors.
65-6.2 Permits, where required, shall comply with 1-12.16.
65-7 High Power Rocketry.
65-7.1 The design, construction, limitations of propellant mass and power, and reliability of all high-power rocket motors and motor components produced commercially for sale to or use by the certified user for education, recreation, and sporting competition shall comply with NFPA 1127, Code for High Power
Rocketry.
65-7.2 Permits, where required, shall comply with 1-12.16.

NFPA 1 Chapter 65 includes NFPA 1122/1125/1127 by reference....

SO this means that the NFPA codes 1122/1125/1127 are state law here in Kentucky...

In addition in Kentucky, there are NO STATE explosives permits required for any amount of black powder ( there are different federal laws) nor for any propellant powders..

In other words, they are specifically exempted from state explosives permits:
Kentucky Administrative Rules
805 KAR 4:093. Permit to purchase or possess explosives.

RELATES TO: KRS 351.367, 351.370

STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 351.335(1)

NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 351.335(1) authorizes the Department of Mines and Minerals to promulgate rules and administrative regulations concerning the manufacture, transportation, sale, storage, or use of explosives and unassembled components of explosives, and the maintenance of such explosives which have a direct bearing on safety to life and property. This administrative regulation establishes guidelines for the necessity of and procedure for obtaining a permit for the purchase of possession of explosives.

Section 1. (1) Each person, firm, association, or corporation intending to purchase or take possession of explosives shall complete the application form (EC-52), and pay the application fee established by KRS 351.367(2).

(2) Each holder of a permit to purchase or possess explosives shall provide a copy of his permit to the explosive dealer or distributor prior to the transfer of the explosive materials.

(3) A permit to purchase or possess explosives shall be obtained prior to purchasing or taking possession of any explosive materials, including all high explosives, blasting agents, and detonators, and two (2) component, binary explosive compounds.

(4) The following materials are exempt from the requirement to obtain a permit:

(a) Oil well perforating charges of less than ninety (90) grams each;

(b) All grades of blackpowder suitable for firearms;

(c) All fireworks; and

(d) Any propellant powder for firearms or rockets.

(5) Any person who signs the application for a permit, either as an individual or as a representative of a corporation, firm, or association, shall be accountable for the explosives purchased under the terms of the permit.

(6) A permit holder may purchase explosives for use on several different business locations or construction sites, if the person designated on the permit application is the central agent ordering the explosives, and is responsible for the security and disposition of the explosives at all sites.

(7) If a single corporation or company has multiple business sites, each of which purchases explosives independently, each site shall obtain its own permit.

Section 2. Incorporation by Reference. (1) Form "(EC-52)", (revised August 1996), is incorporated by reference.

(2) It may be inspected, copied, or obtained from the Department of Mines and Minerals, 1025 Capital Center Drive, Suite 201, P.O. Box 2244, Frankfort, Kentucky 40602-2244 during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (23 Ky.R. 1820; Am. 2492; eff. 12-11-96.)

Notice (4)(b) and (4)(d) above....

Model rocketry is defined and exempted from fireworks in KRS227.700 :

227.700 "Fireworks" defined -- Exceptions.
The term "fireworks" shall mean any composition or device for the purpose of producing a visible or an audible effect by combustion, deflagration, or detonation, and which meets the definition of "common" or "special" fireworks as set forth in the United States Department of Transportation's (DOT) hazardous materials regulations.
(1) Exception number 1: Toy pistols, toy canes, toy guns or other devices in which paper or plastic caps manufactured in accordance with DOT regulations, and packed
and shipped according to said regulations, are not considered to be fireworks and shall be allowed to be used and sold at all times.
(2) Exception number 2: Model rockets and model rocket motors designed, sold, and used for the purpose of propelling recoverable aero models are not considered to be
fireworks.
(3) Exception number 3: Propelling or expelling charges consisting of a mixture of sulfur, charcoal, and saltpeter are not considered as being designed for producing audible effects.
Effective: July 15, 1982
History: Amended 1982 Ky. Acts ch. 436, sec. 1, effective July 15, 1982. -- Created
1980 Ky. Acts ch. 49, sec. 15, effective July 15, 1980.

Notice Exception (3) above... surfur/charcoal/saltpeter are the ingredients for black powder..... Exception 3 allows for "propelling"
and "expelling" charges of blackpowder...sounds like ejection charges to me......

Sorry to get all technical on you David...hope all of this helps.....

Sounds like getting approval for the variance will be a piece of cake. After all, my son's baby sitter is the wife of the local volunteer fire dept chief :) So, I'd say I have some connections working in my favor. Especially since he reloads his own ammo, and has a few small DRUMS of black powder in his home. My place of storage is in a storage building, located 60 feet from my home. I was racking my brain last night trying to figure out if and how I could move it 15 more feet :)

Thanks for the tech post Shockie, it definately helps, and has been printed off.

Ok, another question. Simple one actually. What is a mortise lock? I should know this one, but my memory is failing me at the moment. The only thing I could find online, is for entry doors to homes, what I refer to as a dead bolt lock.

Back