More Half-Baked Designs Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did they rocsim it before launch to assure stability? Did they use a bacon grease seal on the reloadable propellant cavity? No launch rod! No electronic ignition! Yikes!

Rocsim is for rockets. They used Anvil Simulation Software... A.S.S. available from ACME. Recommended by 1 out of 10 Coyotes.

1646951856285.png

Rocsim is for rockets. They used Anvil Simulation Software... A.S.S. available from ACME. Recommended by 1 out of 10 Coyotes.

View attachment 508638
A swing test would be awesome! Cardboard cut out? Where is the CG? They turned it into a black powder, high powered oddroc with tumble recovery! The use of metal parts is an issue... :)

Did they rocsim it before launch to assure stability? Did they use a bacon grease seal on the reloadable propellant cavity? No launch rod! No electronic ignition! Yikes!
When I was young I lived across the street from a blacksmith/welding shop, the owner would "shoot anvils" on independence day. It makes a pretty big boom. He did use electronic (spark) ignition and didn't launch them as high as I've seen it done in competition. Stability? Nobody seems to care if they tumble in flight.

When I was young I lived across the street from a blacksmith/welding shop, the owner would "shoot anvils" on independence day. It makes a pretty big boom. He did use electronic (spark) ignition and didn't launch them as high as I've seen it done in competition. Stability? Nobody seems to care if they tumble in flight.

This used to be a big thing at rodeos on the 4th. We used to go to the Sweetwater (TX) Rattlesnake Roundup every year when I was a kid. They stopped when an anvil shattered instead of going up. I think you're fine with BP, but they may have used dynamite that time.

Trolling the rocket forum I heard of Mr. Applewhite and his amazing rockets so it meandered to his site. Simple thing, has lots of free stuff there and downloaded a 13mm Stealth, burnt it out of cardstock with the laser and figured out the folds applied glue. Waited for the glue to dry and took it out back jammed an estes motor in it and let her rip. Straight up to 50' and back down perfect flights both of them. They work well.

Nice flier and cheap to build one sheet of cardstock put it on the laser and 10 minutes ready to fold and 10 minutes later fly.

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_180351.jpg
    IMG_20220423_180351.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220423_180421.jpg
    IMG_20220423_180421.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 8
I may have figured out the CATO issue with the A3-4T and A10-3T on this pack the nozzle of one was wider than all of the others and the plug did not stay in. The wider nozzled engine took off like it was shot out of a cannon almost instant boost to 70ft not like the others where it is a flight this was like an explosion but did not blow out the nozzle. Interesting!

OK, looking at your video I understand what you're trying to say. The explosion at ignition is not normal, but looks like the propellant and casing stayed together up until ejection.
My experience is that the mini engines have been CATOing A LOT recently, both A10s and A3s. We had 3 or 4 just from today's launch.
Screenshots from your vid:
Explosion
2022-04-24 (1).png

Thrusting
2022-04-24.png

Ejection
2022-04-24 (2).png

I keep telling myself to only put them in open ended odd rocs but, meh.............

OK, looking at your video I understand what you're trying to say. The explosion at ignition is not normal, but looks like the propellant and casing stayed together up until ejection.
My experience is that the mini engines have been CATOing A LOT recently, both A10s and A3s. We had 3 or 4 just from today's launch.
Explosion
View attachment 515730

Thrusting
View attachment 515731

Ejection
View attachment 515732

I keep telling myself to only put them in open ended odd rocs but, meh.............
I was unfortunate enough to have an A10-3T CATO in a Star Trooper, recently OOP. It happens.

Thankfully it’s a pretty small motor size, I don’t think most people do a lot of fancy stuff in 13mm, unless you consider the occasional multistager or boost glider “fancy”.

Explosion
View attachment 515730

Thrusting
View attachment 515731

Ejection
View attachment 515732

But this is one that DID NOT Blow up

Explosion
View attachment 515730

Thrusting
View attachment 515731

Ejection
View attachment 515732

Some good shots of a perfect flight

Started playing around with a Von Braun RM-1 rocket w/ all BT-80 tubes. I am assuming that drag on those rear tanks will make this stable but have not modeled in OR (I have not upgraded to the newest version so cannot model pods). What do you guys think - possible? gonna need nose weight?

1651720843406.jpeg
1651720821075.png

Render is from Nick Steven's site: http://nick-stevens.com/2016/09/10/wernher-von-brauns-rm-1-spaceship-design/

I am assuming that drag on those rear tanks will make this stable but have not modeled in OR (I have not upgraded to the newest version so cannot model pods).
Are you going to make me come over there and do the upgrade for you? ;)

(seriously, install the new version... it can coexist with the old, but my guess is you won't go back)

Are you going to make me come over there and do the upgrade for you? ;)

(seriously, install the new version... it can coexist with the old, but my guess is you won't go back)

Haha... I did finally do the upgrade a few weeks ago or something... have modeled a few things with pods. Even went back to one of my earliest rockets that really needed pods -- P-270 Moskit -- and modeled with pods.

1657805540136.png

Came across this patent when looking at Mortar rounds that someone shared... Interesting approach to changing the shape of a rocket (might need counter canted fins on front vs. rear)...

Kinetic energy projectile with in-flight extended length​

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7036434
View attachment 527682
So basically a rocket that gets longer as it flies? Might be interesting to design and shouldn't be hard with a 3D printed model. I'm sure you'd need counter canted fins for any hope of deployment (and maybe lubrication on the screws). I'm not sure there'd be any value in performance for a model rocket (that you hope to recover) with this other than the "Hey ya'all, watch this" factor, but it might help you reach your neighbors yard on an arcing trajectory.

I've been playing around with various freeform fin designs on the same basic configuration body configuration in OR, then weighting the nose differently to maintain 1 caliber stability. Most results were pretty generic-looking but this one was interesting enough to share.

No intention to actually build, but....

Stachwick 22-46-8.png

My girlfriend says it looks....suggestive, I'll just say. If I were to build this she'd laugh at me forever (and has told me so.)

Attachments

• Stachwick 22-46-8.ork
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
Yea, I forgot about those guys. so one of those with a semi-transparent flared base instead of transparent fins. (Yes, there are fins on the real thing, but they're a lot smaller [in scale] than those on the model.)
1659451671400.png1659451728845.png
1659451907614.png

Rocky Jones's rocket ship has four fins and two wings. If the wing set were expanded to four, it could be made into a two stage. The sustainer would be very short, so a lot of nose weight would probably be needed. But with those big, swept fins, if one could get the weight all the way forward into the pointy nose then it might not be a terrible lot. Maybe keep the nose hollow as far up as possible, then pack it with mud made from tungsten powder and epoxy.
1660767169773.png

Baja Blast-Off!

Stachwick MD18-D2-PT.jpg

Ask not for whom the Baja Blasts, it Blasts for thee! Although it won't return to thee, not with that 5-minute flight time!

I was mainly just fooling around with this, I know it's silly. Streamer recovery and a really polished, glinty finish may make this doable, though....

Wait wait wait, I've got another!

Stranger From The Outside!

Stachwick MD24-E28-7T.jpg

I'm betting those fins will be chosen to go on to a better place, though.

Back