More great news.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Seen the doc yesterday to get the results of the hips x-rays.
Right one is shot, need both ball and socket.
Left isn't far behind.
Doing injections on the right one until a surgeon can take over.
With any luck, by age 60, I should only be 75% human.
25% plastic replacement parts. :facepalm:

Woody ... a man barely alive.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Woody will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Left isn't far behind.

Whad'ya do for a living by gosh to wear out so soon?:surprised: Kurt

I always wondered how did they power his bionics, some super secret atomic power plant or did he plug in to a wall socket...what? Now they can do an induction charge and avoid the wires from a recharger...

I digress...as usual ;) Luck with your procedures :)

Woody ... a man barely alive.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Woody will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Dammit! Now I've got the theme music from that show running nonstop through my head! :mad: :wink:

I always wondered how did they power his bionics, some super secret atomic power plant or did he plug in to a wall socket...what? Now they can do an induction charge and avoid the wires from a recharger...

I digress...as usual ;) Luck with your procedures :)

An atomic "pellet," I think they called it. :wink: Funny, for as sophisticated as those parts were, whenever they showed the insides, it was a bunch of wires and metal. No chips to be found. Had to have been a solid state hard drive in there somewhere....

Left isn't far behind.

Don't worry about it, the Docs' do it all the time. I'm 46 and had to get my left hip ball and socket done a couple of years ago. Mine was from walking on concrete for 25 years. I had the injections done too but they didn't help much. After the surgery the difference in pain was unbelievable. I'd suffered for several years before i decided to get it fixed.

Good luck Woody, you'll feel much better afterwards.

Got my right hip done a little over two months ago. Hips are a breeze compared to knees. Now with new left knee and new right hip in a span of 8 mos. I feel like a new man!

Got my right hip done a little over two months ago. Hips are a breeze compared to knees. Now with new left knee and new right hip in a span of 8 mos. I feel like a new man!

... but they seldom try to replace ankles. After 15 years with a cane and two with a walker, I had one of them fused last year. Amazing difference; lost the walker and cane. Should've done it a year or two earlier.

25% plastic replacement parts.

As long as there are "no significant metal structural parts", we can still launch you at a NAR or Tripoli launch.

Ideally with a pancake on your head as a plugged forward closure.

- sorry, I had to.

Left isn't far behind.

Good luck, brother-I'm rooting for ya! Say hi to Tina for me!

As long as there are "no significant metal structural parts", we can still launch you at a NAR or Tripoli launch.

My favorite part of today so far is this bit right here :)

- sorry, I had to.

Rear ejection is NOT an option.....

I get to watch people at church go through this process with frightening regularity. While the recovery from hip replacement is longer than knee replacement (some of them are back in church, walking with a cane, in less than a week!), the folks who have the replacement surgery seem to do a lot better than the ones whose doctors (or their insurance carriers) want to try "everything else" first.

Everyone says I wish I had it done sooner. Good luck sir.

I get to watch people at church go through this process with frightening regularity. While the recovery from hip replacement is longer than knee replacement (some of them are back in church, walking with a cane, in less than a week!), the folks who have the replacement surgery seem to do a lot better than the ones whose doctors (or their insurance carriers) want to try "everything else" first.

Ahhhhhhh, People are outlasting their joints these days. Unlike a cancer where one needs to do something "yesterday" a joint replacement isn't made more difficult to perform by the surgeon by waiting. If there is a delay, it's usually instigated by the patient not the Dr. If the x-rays show ridiculously bad degeneration, it's a no-brainer and insurances are not an impediment usually. If the x-rays show milder changes a surgeon will be the first to recommend alternative treatments like drugs and injections. The surgeon is the one called to the carpet if there is a complication from surgery so really won't recommend it unless there is x-ray evidence and the person has impairment and pain.
Many folks will delay surgery because they have other things to attend to first and that's o.k. Kurt

That's the way it happens.. "usually."

I have one friend in particular that the doctor thought would benefit from a replacement. But then the insurance wanted a second opinion, then more blood work, then more injections, then they wanted her to try to lose weight (she's heavy, but not huge), then they wanted an echocardiagram (which was okay), and still she waits. Some days it's almost painful to watch her with her walker, especially, while she's been waiting, one of our other members had three hip replacements (the first ended up with a post-op infection, was replaced with a "temporary" one months into recovery, then finally (after six more months), a third one). That guy, despite all the rigmarole and extended recovery, is up and around and walking pain-free without a cane.

That's bad for the woman to suffer like that. If she can medically tolerate the procedure she should be offered it. She is going to ultimately need it anyways. The fellow with the post op infection is an unfortunate outcome and that's why replacement is not offered without definite pathology. Kurt

I didn't want to unnecessarily worry Woody by sharing the story of the guy with three hip replacements. The good news here is that, even though it dragged out for a bit, he is in great shape and moving better than he has in years. Despite the initial setbacks, he is very happy with how things turned out.

All the best of luck Woody,,,
All I've ever heard from these surgeries is--
"I just can't believe how much less pain I'm in"
"I should have done this years ago"
You're going to do just wonderful through this Woody...

Teddy

Both hips replaced in 2010. Felt better immediately after the surgery without meds. than I did going in. Should have done them six months earlier.
Good luck Woody

Thanks fella's for the inspiration of courage.
The Doc wanted to send me straight to the surgeon.
I wanted to delay a bit to hear from people who had it done before, so I went with an injection since I already had a double appointment for my back. Their screw up.
So I guess I'll let them know at the desk to have him set me up with a surgeon ASAP when I'm there for the injection on Tuesday.
And see if I can get the left one done right away.
It sure would be nice to be able to go small game hunting again.
I should be able to loose some weight as well.
Have a great weekend everyone!

My ex-Mother-in-law has had both knees, both hips and one elbow and one shoulder replaced. I really wish they could replace her nasty personality.

I wanted to delay a bit to hear from people who had it done before, so I went with an injection since I already had a double appointment for my back. Their screw up.
So I guess I'll let them know at the desk to have him set me up with a surgeon ASAP when I'm there for the injection on Tuesday.

Man are you gonna be lovin it when this is done and over....
You're going to say the same thing as the rest,,,
"I waited too long,, I should have had this done years ago"...

Teddy

If you are able to schedule the surgery quickly, I would pass on the injection. The key to success in this surgery is to reduce/eliminate any chance of infection. According to my doctor sinking a needle deep into the joint and you are just asking for bacteria to form. It was six months for me to wait on the hip, but he still advised against injections.

If you are able to schedule the surgery quickly, I would pass on the injection. The key to success in this surgery is to reduce/eliminate any chance of infection. According to my doctor sinking a needle deep into the joint and you are just asking for bacteria to form. It was six months for me to wait on the hip, but he still advised against injections.

Ahhhh yeah. Some sawbones don't like the idea of going into a joint that was recently injected with steroids. You'll have to bring it up with them. If you're trying to delay the procedure for many months they might try it but the shot might not
get you relief for long. I've heard for a major joint 6 months or longer as dixontj reports. Another thing I've seen is many surgeons are refusing to do major joints on the morbidly obese diabetics due to the higher incidence of morbidity, infection and death. Understandably, they don't want to be executioners. Pain can be a great motivator for weight loss if one is given a target in order to be able to undergo joint replacement. Kurt

Woody, my best friend for many, many years just had to have his leg amputated below the knee. He's diabetic and didn't know it. So ... it could always be worse.

I seen the surgeon last week.
His review of the xrays came a little different than from my back doctor.
He saw only on small area with a bone sper that could be causing me pain in the groin.
He did an injection today to see if I get relieve from the injection.
I did not.
In this case, all my hip pain is coming from my low back.
The RP and injection treatments I get are doing less and less to relieve the pain.
Hip Doc told me he would send the report to my back Doc, and suggest he sends me to back surgeon.
I would be nice if I could get rid of the pain so I start living some kind of life again.
I've seen the ads on TV for the Laser Spine Institute. I think I'll be giving them a call.
At no cost they will review my MRI and suggest a procedure that best relieve my pain.
I think I will have a new MRI, since my last one was almost 4 years ago and the less relief I've been getting, should show more.
Old age really sucks!

Back