More eBay silliness

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More fool the idiot who buys this; but its probably somebody whos interested in rockets, and is going to be put off the hobby INSTANTLY, when he/she tries to fly it. Even if they can source the detonators! ;)

Nice hallway, in the picture, btw. :D

Originally posted by Steward

What is a "exaduration"....???

He may have meant "exudation", as in an oozing forth. You must admit that his spew is certainly not just oozing.

Or perhaps he meant "exaration", which is th act of writing. It also means the act of plowing, and given the level of field grade fertilizer being spread (obviously in comparison with the doors, it's about 7 foot, not 8), this could well apply.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
He may have meant "exudation", as in an oozing forth. You must admit that his spew is certainly not just oozing.

Or perhaps he meant "exaration", which is th act of writing. It also means the act of plowing, and given the level of field grade fertilizer being spread (obviously in comparison with the doors, it's about 7 foot, not 8), this could well apply.
Since it's an Estes Dude, yes, it's 7ft tall. ;)

I believe he was trying to say, "exaggeration."

He mentions a vacuum cleaner for reference in the write-up... I don't know if it's just my monitor or what, but I can't see much of ANYthing in that picture, let alone a vacuum cleaner!

And who uses a vacuum cleaner as a reference tool anyway? Christopher Lowell???

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
He mentions a vacuum cleaner for reference in the write-up... I don't know if it's just my monitor or what, but I can't see much of ANYthing in that picture, let alone a vacuum cleaner!

And who uses a vacuum cleaner as a reference tool anyway? Christopher Lowell???

WW

Yep, It's a vacuum. I lightened up the midtones, and here is what ya get.

Interesting it mentiones a parachute. But the dude floats in doesn't it? I don't remember a parachute.

geez, he should've let me know before he placed the bid, i've got some extra detonators. lol. to ignite the HE model rocket motors. lol.

O.K... Actually my wife said...

Exit- Door- ation... I guess "ation" is another word for vacum cleaner

I can't believe it's up to $20. I have always thought that was the dumbest rocket. When I first saw it I was tempted to make one called "the Babe". But I was too embarrased to go into an adult toy store to purchase the "inflatable female companion" that would get fins strapped to the ankles to make up the majority of the model (no comments on the motor mount please).
Isn't that Dude going for less than $20 BRAND NEW from other sellers on Ebay???

Originally posted by rokitflite
I can't believe it's up to $20. I have always thought that was the dumbest rocket. When I first saw it I was tempted to make one called "the Babe". But I was too embarrased to go into an adult toy store to purchase the "inflatable female companion" that would get fins strapped to the ankles to make up the majority of the model (no comments on the motor mount please).
Sure is. Just so I could have one as a novelty I bought a new/sealed kit for $10.50 including shipping the other week.

Originally posted by rokitflite
The previous high bidder was a guy that goes by Toadilypurple. Since I've seen him buying many rockets in the past, I informed him that this was an Estes Dude rocket and that you can buy new ones for about $10. He retracted his bid which you can see by looking at the bottom of the Bid History. His max bid was $130! hehehe

/me runs to the hobby store with a handfull of one dollar bills...

How do we reach these bidders on ebay to help them get started in rocketry?

The sellers are probably hopeless, either too stupid, too greedy, or too whatever. Most of the sellers posting auctions like this one make me sick.

But like cydermaster said, the poor slob who spends money on this P.O.S. is going to be frustrated and angry. He obviously needs some coaching and advice. How do we get him steered away from ebay and over here to TRF? What about all the other similar wanna-be-buyers?

Hey Phil! the dude indeed does have a parachute! it gets stuffed in the top of the L shaped motor tube.

The Hobby Lobby in Hammond, LA had one for $10 as of yesterday afternoon. i have 1 still sealed in a box and 2 that i've built and flown. our club (all 3 of us) had a drag race with them last year. very silly!

somebody here should upscale one!

Originally posted by powderburner
How do we reach these bidders on ebay to help them get started in rocketry?

The sellers are probably hopeless, either too stupid, too greedy, or too whatever. Most of the sellers posting auctions like this one make me sick.

But like cydermaster said, the poor slob who spends money on this P.O.S. is going to be frustrated and angry. He obviously needs some coaching and advice. How do we get him steered away from ebay and over here to TRF? What about all the other similar wanna-be-buyers?

We could send him an email pointing him to the https://flyrockets.com/ site and suggest that he look for a local club.

Scott

Originally posted by jflis
THERE's Carl's next project! :D :D

54mm mount, 34 feet tall....

Oh, man, Jim. You should know better than to say stuff like that when you know he can see it.

Originally posted by jflis
THERE's Carl's next project! :D :D

54mm mount, 34 feet tall....

I would love to see the photo documentary on that one!!!

ALL I WANT IS SOME "DETONATORS"! FILL IT WITH HYDROGEN(NOT AIR) & 3-2-1 DENTONATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!COOL!:D

I can understand fellow rocketeers desire to steer people away from bad deals on eBay but but you should keep in mind that you should never mention TRF or EMRR or any other rocketry group when you contact bidders. You don't know what the possible reprecussions may be to groups you mention. Just my 3.33333 cents.

Milo (I think) bought one back when they first came out. I don't remember the parachute but then again we didn't launch it too many times before it sprung a leak. I think he paid $20 at WalMart but imagine paying $130 for it and it pops the 3rd launch.

Originally posted by powderburner

I sometimes sell rockets on Ebay. You wouldn't believe the questions and crazy bids that I get. I can't tell you how many times I have suggested to someone that instead of buying a kit from me, to go to wal mart - get the starter kit and then buy a kit from me. I get a lot of Grandpas that want to get the boy started but have no idea where to begin. Unfortunatley, people selling "the dude" to folks who are just starting can turn people off of model rocketry for a lifetime.

Don't get me wrong, if you can sell a dude for 20.00 (without misrepresenting the product) that is fine with me. But what I usually do when someone has grossly overpayed for an item is send them two, or refund a portion of their payment. I actually got a couple of consistent customers doing this. One in particular wanted a Hydra VII as his first kit. I talked him into a javelin and gave him an Estes launch pad and controller from an old Star Wars starter kit. Since then, he and his son have progressed in the hobby and their last purchase was an Edmonds Glider and a Deuce's wild!

I just hope that there aren't too many turned off and frustrated by buying the 20.00 dude without the detonator.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

NOTE the seller does not have any feedback !!!

Do you buy from people that dont have feed back on E-Bay???

I dont.

Back