More DBRM w/Vander-Burn Mod Goodness

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
First, a shout out to my Secret Santa 21' for a "Most Excellent" kit. 👍

To begin, I weighed all the parts from the kit and the mod pack and updated the OR sim. Then I decided on other additions to the build and added them as well.

OR-DBRM-Small.jpg

I started building this kit a couple of weekends ago but didn't get very far. After gluing the rear CR to the motor tube, I realized I did not like the way Estes instructs owners to assemble the business end of the rocket.

DBRM_00.jpg

So I decided to build the fin can outside of the airframe. Last weekend I used Fusion360 to design a fin jig that would fit the MMT from either end, as the fins are so large, 2 jigs were needed. After printing the first jig, I noticed I did not trim the design of the jig to minimize the amount of filament used in the print. I made corrections to the design and printed the second jig.

Monday evening, I carefully removed the CR from the MMT, cleaned up the MMT and began assembly of the fin can with my new fin jigs.

BDRM MMT-Fin Assembly_01-Small.jpg

Tuesday morning....

BDRM MMT-Fin Assembly_02-Small.jpg

Tuesday evening I designed and printed a couple of rail button anchors.

BDRM Rail Button Anchors-Small.jpg

The anchor with the "wings" will be attached to the Aft CR. The wings will help center the anchor between the fins.

More to follow soon.

Last edited:
Today I had free time so I worked on mod for the nosecone.

I cut out a tracing template from scrape paper wide enough to draw a line just below the beveled section of the shoulder.

DBRM NC Mod_01-Small.jpg

Then I used a razor saw to make a clean cut, going around the 3 times. 1st to score the line, 2nd to deepen the score and lastly to complete the cut.
DBRM NC Mod_02-Small.jpg

Next I carefully measured the ID and OD of the shoulder and used those measurements to design the GPS sled anchor assembly.

Estes DBRM GPS Sled Assembly-Small.jpg

Printed the parts and did a dry fit test.

DBRM NC Mod_03-Small.jpg

DBRM NC Mod_04-Small.jpg

The anchor ring will be epoxied in place and two SS screws will hold the base securely.

I like that. Should work on Big Daddy/Doorknob cones, too.

I am posting the STL files for anyone interested...

Edit: I made one change to the design that I forgot to include before I printed mine. These STLs include an indexing key to allow easy alignment for the screws that secure the base to the anchor ring.

Edit #2: I have increased the diameter of the base by 1.1mm for a better fit in the body tube. STL file has been updated.

Attachments

• DBRM GPS Sled Anchor Ring.stl
    117.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DBRM GPS Sled Base.stl
    174.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Today I had free time so I worked on mod for the nosecone.

I cut out a tracing template from scrape paper wide enough to draw a line just below the beveled section of the shoulder.

View attachment 571817

Then I used a razor saw to make a clean cut, going around the 3 times. 1st to score the line, 2nd to deepen the score and lastly to complete the cut.
View attachment 571818

Next I carefully measured the ID and OD of the shoulder and used those measurements to design the GPS sled anchor assembly.

View attachment 571819

Printed the parts and did a dry fit test.

View attachment 571820

View attachment 571821

The anchor ring will be epoxied in place and two SS screws will hold the base securely.

Nicely done!

Filled spirals in the airframe today. I have a big motivational block when it comes to filling spirals...
Also working on MMT/Fin Root fillets.

And I also worked on my concept for the finished look

1st draft of the "Big Der Psychedelic Max"

Der Big Psychedelic Max.png

And yes, the lady is fully clothed, if you can call hot pants clothing... :p
Going with the Stickershock treatment for this idea.

Last edited:
It's interesting how the peace sign, being inspired by a rocket/missile, is echoed so closely by the goofy fins of the DRM. I'd putter with that idea a little and see what could be done to tune it up.

Also, it might need some "Born to Kill" action on another side.
My better half really dislikes the DBRM's stock livery and would "Kill Me" if I did any killing on this rocket. As the saying goes "Happy Wife, Happy Life". But I do like your idea.... (He says in a whisper)

Late last night I installed the fincan in the airframe, but forgot to take a picture to show the lower rail button anchor beforehand. So here it is in Fusion 360. Note that the Fusion rendition omits the middle CR.

BDRM Rail Button Anchors_02.jpg

Today I did some more work on the decals. I substituted the fins "Kill Marks" with "Hit Marks".

DBRM Decals 2nd Draft.jpg

DBRM Fin Decal_04-Rotated.png

This evening I will add about 12" of 1/16" galvanized wire rope to the forward CR and then install the CR with some 30 minute BSI. After that I will install the fwd rail button anchor.

Today I did some more work on the decals. I substituted the fins "Kill Marks" with "Hit Marks".

View attachment 572913

View attachment 572916

This evening I will add about 12" of 1/16" galvanized wire rope to the forward CR and then install the CR with some 30 minute BSI. After that I will install the fwd rail button anchor.
Sweet!

Well, I finally got around to working on my solution for the vinyl wrap.

The issue? The left and right edges along the length of the wrap do not match, which is visually unappealing to me.

So here is my fix...

Der Big Psychedelic Max-Z.png

It is also a nod to a very well known band's album.

2 Gold Stars for anyone that can name the band and album!

Update:
My first contact (for this project) with Mark Hayes at StickerShock did not go so well. My graphics were not up to snuff. Not Mark's fault to be sure. So, after some more communiques, Mark specified minimum requirements for good submissions. The most important of which is a minimum resolution of 150 DPI/PPI.

Of the graphics I DL'd off the Net, the peace sign I selected was the worst offender. After some thought, I elected to recreate the symbol in Fusion 360. After extruding the symbol, I used Fusion's Image Capture function to export the symbol as a .png file. Next I imported the new image file to my very old version of Photoshop, v6. After some futzing around, I am not a graphics designer in any way, I finally had a peace sign worth submitting.

I also reworked some of the other images I DL'd. With the "improved" graphics collected and organized, I sent it all off to Mark last night. And by 3 minutes after 9 this Saturday morning, I had a reply from Mark. Man, talk about dedication to the craft!!! 🦸‍♂️ :clapping:

I cannot wait to see his proofs. I'm sure they will be amazing!

Till next post...

20 minutes ago I submitted my payment to StickerShock!! Man, can't wait to see that vinyl on Psychedelic Max!

Glad your on the right track, and figured out the issue.... Mark usually does amazing work, but can only do so much based on what he starts with. Sometimes something falls thru the cracks. (I'm surprised he didn't notice the resolution, and ask you about it.)

ALWAYS watch the resolution of images, anything "web optimized" from yester-year, or from programs with older coding, will be downgraded to 72DPI. (Dots per inch) this was a common pitch of CRT screens.

Print that on a 1200DPI printer, and it will really look bad. Personally my "working resolution" for general stuff is 600DPI. Even if I print at a lower resolution. Once bits of information are gone, you can never create it back without some approximation, and softness of edges. (No matter how much CSI on TV can create beautiful images from a smudge.)

I am posting the STL files for anyone interested...

Edit: I made one change to the design that I forgot to include before I printed mine. These STLs include an indexing key to allow easy alignment for the screws that secure the base to the anchor ring.

Edit #2: I have increased the diameter of the base by 1.1mm for a better fit in the body tube. STL file has been updated.
Thank for sharing! Do you have a STL for the bay/sled?

Back