More cloning fun in the lab

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
Well, this was a particularly rewarding build.

Mostly because the finished product is so handsome - it has all the goodies: dowels, variable airframe diameter, detail discs, antennae, ring fin, etc.

What a cool rocket!!!

Thanks to Astronboy for making the decals, and Sandman for giving me the scrap of tube to make the ring fin.

This is probaby my coolest looking 18mm bird yet.

Interior lighting and flashes don't do the Blue Pearl Paint and Astronboy's decals justice.

Here's a pic in the evening sun.

And here's a fun "head-on" shot to give an idea of the fun details: antennae discs, ring fin, detail tabs. Estes did good with this one!!

WOW!

I'm not sure but I think we even used the same paint!

sandman

Simon...you're on a roll!

Great looking rocket. It has that funky, 70's sci fi look about it.

I'm surprised you didn't make it an upscale.:D

John

Absolutely fantastic, Fore Check!!!

This is the last of my "original" rockets from the 70s and early 80s that I want to rebuild. I've been hunting on eBay for 6 months, but have yet to see an auction that didn't go for over $80 or so.

Other than the big ring, were there any other parts that you found challenging to clone? How did you do the little fiber rings?

Again, outstanding work.

It wasn't all that hard, suprisingly.

Getting the fins cut and sized to fit the ring was the biggest challenge.

I got the little circles that are on each side of the fins laser cut from BMS out of that 0.05" black letremax cardboard. The antennae discs are laser cut from BMS out of 1/16" ply. This worked great, because the ply rings are both rigid (durable) and they cut a 0.125" center hole so they slid right on that dowel.

I had this one planned in advance, so I got those things along with a bunch of other stuff and the price wasn't that bad (I think it was like $6 or $7 for those pieces as part of a larger order, not including shipping)

That looks awesome!!! Since I usually only see the decals from my end, it is great to see the finished rocket!!

Fred

Fore Check,

Would you be willing to share the dimensions of the discs and other items you had BMS make for you?

Just curious, but why don't you make your own parts rather than sending them out. It is not that hard to get the accuracy, and I just could not wait that long for them to come in the mail. I want to build now!!

shrox

Like I said, you are the "Clone King" I used to have that kit myself,now here is another one I'll need to clone. Add it to the list. Forecheck, very nice. Can I come over and play?:D :D :D

Shrox: Maybe I'm just lazy, or maybe I'm just not confident enough in my own skills to accurately cut the circles and center the holes in them. Maybe it's a lack of proper tools to assuage my lack of confidence in doing them "right." Oh, well.

As far as the impatience thing: I tend to be that way too, when I get right down and physically started on one. However, I spend far more time cruising plans, building them in my head, thinking about constructability issues, and often times upscaling. I'll tinker with the potential clone or build in my head and have it built (in my head) many times over before I physically start on one (usually.) That said, I tend to have the burners lit on several ideas at a time. When I get enough material needs due to these plans and/or ideas to place a BMS order, I go with it. I only purchase for myself, and I've not spent less than $100 each time I've ordered. But I get a lot of stuff and can build away on several premeditated projects when the stuff does arrive. So, I guess I spend a lot of time thinking and dreaming of a rocket before I actually decide to build it.

Kelly: to answer your question on the dimensions of the stuff I got from BMS -

For the antennae discs, you will need 3 each of 2 different sized discs. The dimensions that I used are: Smaller disc OD (Q) = 0.55; Larger disc OD (Q) = 0.75. Both have a center hole being 1/8" (I = 0.125) I had them cut from 1/16 plywood (M = 80)

For the detail discs on either side of the fins just above the ring fin, you'll need a minimum of 6 (may want to order an extra 2 or 3, just in case you misplace one on your build table.) Anyway: OD (Q) = 0.375; no center hole (I = 0.00). I had them cut from the 0.05" thick black letremax cardboard (M = 200).

If I didn't mention, you order them as "custom cut centering rings." There is a calculation sheet based on the size of the "rings," quantity and material used (hence me giving you Q, M, an I numbers.) Just because they are "rings" doesn't mean the have to have a center hole!

Oh, the tail ring is a 1" long piece of BT100. I got mine from Sandman when I was purchasing the cone for my Atlantis. Aside from finding someone who will sell you a scrap piece to you, the only source that I know of out there is Totally Tubular, and you'll have to order an entire 34" long piece. That said, if you have some BT101 on hand, or have another project in mind that will use a BT101 (like a Pershing 1A clone *wink* *wink*) you could use a 1" long piece of it instead, and just tinker with the fins to make it fit right (it's not very much larger, and few would notice.)

Thanks, and good luck!

There is a 1" piece of BT-100 included with each Estes Saturn V. I never did figure out what it was for, so that was the basis for my SS Cassiopea.

I did get a bunch of BT-100 from Kosrox when he was selling the tube sets for the Mars Lander.

As for the rings...I save all of the center "punch outs" from centering rings and carefully center a hole in a stack of them.

Then I chuck them into a Drermel (there is a tool that has a long screw in it for cut-off discs) and turn them down against a sanding block.

Easy!

sandman

Originally posted by Fore Check
Interior lighting and flashes don't do the Blue Pearl Paint and Astronboy's decals justice.

Fore Check, what brand of paint did you use?

I used Testors #1804 Blue Pearl Metallic, applied over a base coat of Krylon White Primer. In hindsight, perhaps a coat of silver over the primer and under the blue would have made a "brighter" overall finish.

Fore Check,

LOL! Yes, we did use the same paint only I did use the silver for an undercoat.

sandman

Back