More Birds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Just trying to get all the rest of the pictures up since I finally figured out how to do it without shrinking things to invisibility.

Left to right,

AT Wart Hog. I really like the riveted fins. No tube filling: I wanted a real industrial strength look, and used only one thin gloss coat to keep them visible. The nose is painted with Rustoleum gold metal finish. This stuff comes out much easier than the aluminum and chrome finished. I glued the strakes on upside down, open side of the channel out. Very hard core. Makes me want to play heavy metal music.

AT IQSY Tomahawk. Purchased built but refinished. Keeping the rivet panels masked was no mean feat.

MPC Nike Patriot. OK, not a MPR bird. But I really like the MPC kits with the fin can. I'm looking hard for the Nike Smoke. Plus, this model inspired the.....

I don't know what to call it. The nose and payload section were from some plastic helicopter recovery thing that came partly (dis)assembled in a pile of parts I bought. Definitely not Estes, because it didn't fit the transition. I had to beef it up and glue the tube down over it a ways. The main tube is BT60 with a tail cone cut from a PNC60 cone, and a 24mm * 3.75" (E size) MMT. The fins came with the same pile of parts, and are hollow, two piece, snap-togther things that I frankly don't know if they were intended to fly or belong to a static model. But, glued through slots on the tail cone, fly they do. 9 ounces loaded with an E9. It definitely rocks for spare parts and junk.

Check this one out. Its not a kit, but the dimensions are about the same as a Warthog.
It's a 2.6" upscale of the Estes wiyh a 29mm motor mount.

are yo uplanning on flying them soon>
my flying has been put on hold until the end of fire season.
it is giving me plenty of time to finish off all my projects and repair the most recent crop of victims...

Originally posted by Elapid
are yo uplanning on flying them soon>
my flying has been put on hold until the end of fire season.
it is giving me plenty of time to finish off all my projects and repair the most recent crop of victims...

The Hog and Tomahawk were packed to fly Saturday but the weather didn't cooperate. The Nike Patriot will fly next time I go do LPR stuff, probably next weekend. The last has flown a couple times already. That's why I said it rocks. I think the relatively large fins allowed me to put them well fore on the boat tail, both reducing base drag a bunch. Very nice straight flights, and faster off the rod than other things its weight.

Yet to fly is a 7 foot BT60/BT50 version I built, with three basswood, Aerobee style fins. They're set further back, but the notch cut between the trailing and root edges means the root ends still well ahead of the aft end. Low base drag, less fin drag, CP further aft to compensate for 3 fins instead. Heavier of course, but part of that is coupler tube making the body stronger to prevent crimping on lift off. That one should be able to handle anything 24mm I can stick in it. And still no epoxy.

The one on the right is a helicopter?
How big a motor do you stuff in that?

Originally posted by stevecarr
The one on the right is a helicopter?
How big a motor do you stuff in that?

Not anymore. The nose came with (big clunky plastic, fold-down) helicopter blades attached to it, and the payload tube was its body tube. I yanked the blades.

I built it for any 24mm motor up to 3.75" (Estes E) length or shorter. There are a few diffferent F and G motors available, but not all are group/contest certified.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
AT IQSY Tomahawk. Purchased built but refinished. Keeping the rivet panels masked was no mean feat.

Here it is making good use of an F21.

i miss my iqsy...
it died a foul death at the last launch when i put in a G80 and it deployed at burnout...

7' of bt50/60 rocket!
now that's a long skinny one!
i like those; when they don't fold up, they fly like they're on rails!

Back