Montreal to Florida - A driving tour - looking for ideas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Well, the restrictions & such are lifting, time for a vacation!

My dad & his wife will be heading south in a few months, to visit family & some trade show (NISA.. NEESA.. something like that..) In Florida (Tampa & Orlando I believe) So, I'm putting together a few points for him to stop & visit.. (I've driven up & down a few times, with the last few times going more & more west each time. We (the wife & I) much preferred the drive thru TN & KY - two of the prettiest states we've driven thru! And along the Blue ridge parkway.) He hasn't yet decided on the route, but plans to take about 5 days down & 5 days coming back up. He, like me, likes to make a round trip & to stay off the main [boring & flat] highways..

On the list so far:
  • Blue ridge parkway, NC & VA
  • Marshal flight center & the Rocket & Space center in Huntsville, AL
  • Rhinebeck aerodrome, NY
  • Finger lakes wineries, NY
  • Orvis Headquarters, Manchester, VT
  • Maker's Mark distillery
  • Jack Daniels distillery
Is there one bourbon / whiskey distillery tour better than the other?
Are there still stables in TN for the famed TN walking horses?
What about BBQ joints or other eateries?
Jazz or Motown places? (Dad's into Jazz, being a Dixieland bassist, and she grew up with the soul sound of Motown)
Any Zoos, or aquariums or botanical gardens? Dad likes photographing flowers & such..
Does Pussy Galore still give airshows around Knoxville? (or is she still in prison?! :D )

Lexington KY has the Horse Park where there are stables, a museum and you and rent a horse for a riding tour.

The Bourbon Trail stops are all popular. I've only been to Woodford Reserve myself, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Those rolling hills in Kentucky are pretty.

Gatlinburg is touristy, but has the Ripley's Aquarium.

If you're on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville NC - I enjoy Rockys Hot Chicken Shack. You can get plain, honey, and mild chicken if spicy food isn't your thing and it is still delicious.

Asheville also has the Western North Carolina Nature Center. They rehab animals native to the area with gardens and plants to walk through.

I felt that the Biltmore was grossly overrated and overpriced, but the gardens were pretty.

If he comes down I-75 a stop in Dayton for the Air Force museum would be good, as has been mentioned. I wouldn't go to Detroit for Motown. It's not safe.

If he’s looking for a music stop Memphis would definitely be my choice over Detroit.

A stop at the AF Museum is a must if possible - along with a quick detour to the Neil Armstrong museum just north of Dayton.

The most direct route is I-95. That will take them through Washington DC. The Smithsonian is fantastic, especially the National Air and Space Museum. If they don't go via Dayton and the National Museum of the USAF, the National Air and Space Museum is it.

I've been to the Jack Daniels Distillery and loved it. I also went to the Corvette Museum years ago and it was really cool. I haven't been since they had that accident though. Asheville is a cool place to visit.

The most direct route is I-95. That will take them through Washington DC. The Smithsonian is fantastic, especially the National Air and Space Museum. If they don't go via Dayton and the National Museum of the USAF, the National Air and Space Museum is it.
Being an ANG/USAF vet I’m a bit biased 😉 but the NASM is amazing (just about the only thing in DC outside of Arlington that would get me to go back to DC).

Another good point of interest is Colonial Williamsburg. Get on I-64 in Richmond, VA and it'll take about 40 to 45 minutes to get there. And if they go to Williamsburg, they must visit the Pottery. Just be sure they have room in the vehicle for purchases.

If they’re traveling the I95 corridor a side trip to Wallops Island/Chincoteague is worthwhile if there’s a launch that fits their schedule.

Is there a rocket garden at Wallops like there is a White Sands? I've never been to either.
Not really a full garden - a boilerplate Mercury Little Joe and a few smaller rockets along with the small museum/visitors center. Nothing like White Sands or even the missile ”silo” at the AF Museum. The big attraction at Wallops is seeing a launch - we saw a two stage Terrier and even though it’s not like the drama of a KSC launch it was worth the trip. Plus the seafood and wild pony watching 😉

Here's a real oddball attraction. Neutral Zone Studios in Kingsland, GA. The studio is a short drive off I-95 at Exit 3, just north of the Florida state line. The studio contains replica sets from the original Star Trek TV series. Several web series were filmed there, including Starship Farragut and Star Trek Continues. They may or may not be open for tours depending on the filming schedule.

Here's a real oddball attraction. Neutral Zone Studios in Kingsland, GA. The studio is a short drive off I-95 at Exit 3, just north of the Florida state line. The studio contains replica sets from the original Star Trek TV series. Several web series were filmed there, including Starship Farragut and Star Trek Continues. They may or may not be open for tours depending on the filming schedule.
No idea that existed! Fascinating 🖖

Goddard Spaceflight Center has a visitors center with some interesting stuff too, if you are coming across that way.

As others have mentioned there is the Smithsonian in DC and the Udvar Hazy centre out near Dulles airport.

If you are in the area the National Cryptologic Museum is in Maryland. Very much worthwhile visiting if you are in the area. The museum hosts are usually ex NSA employees and very interested in what they have to show. Don't take the wrong exit or you will end up with the NSA giving you a free car and body search.

If a detour through Warner Robins, GA is practical, the WRAFB Air Museum is great. B1, SR-71, B-52 and tons more. Not sure if COVID has changed policies, but I rate WRAFB #2, behind the Smithsonian Air and Space and ahead of the Boeing Museum. Yep. I said it. . . The Boeing muesum is 'nicer' as WRAFB museum feels very 1970's with an update in the 90's (kind of like National Parks vs Resort Hotels), but it is the quality of the history and the variety that is awesome. Walking up to a B1 Lancer and just realizing what it was made it almost eclipse the SR-71 for me. . .

In all fairness, I've only been to 5 air museums, as I don't count KSC as an 'Air Museum'. It is 'miles above'!

Sandy.

Or the Star Trek Set Tour in Ticonderoga NY. All the sets, as they were on the Desilu soundstage. Fully lit with background audio.
All the computer screens work. VERY well done. Tours are $25.

https://www.startrektour.com/
There is a small museum of props/costumes also.

Well, the restrictions & such are lifting, time for a vacation!

My dad & his wife will be heading south in a few months, to visit family & some trade show (NISA.. NEESA.. something like that..) In Florida (Tampa & Orlando I believe) So, I'm putting together a few points for him to stop & visit.. (I've driven up & down a few times, with the last few times going more & more west each time. We (the wife & I) much preferred the drive thru TN & KY - two of the prettiest states we've driven thru! And along the Blue ridge parkway.) He hasn't yet decided on the route, but plans to take about 5 days down & 5 days coming back up. He, like me, likes to make a round trip & to stay off the main [boring & flat] highways..

On the list so far:
  • Blue ridge parkway, NC & VA
  • Marshal flight center & the Rocket & Space center in Huntsville, AL
  • Rhinebeck aerodrome, NY
  • Finger lakes wineries, NY
  • Orvis Headquarters, Manchester, VT
  • Maker's Mark distillery
  • Jack Daniels distillery
Is there one bourbon / whiskey distillery tour better than the other?
Are there still stables in TN for the famed TN walking horses?
What about BBQ joints or other eateries?
Jazz or Motown places? (Dad's into Jazz, being a Dixieland bassist, and she grew up with the soul sound of Motown)
Any Zoos, or aquariums or botanical gardens? Dad likes photographing flowers & such..
Does Pussy Galore still give airshows around Knoxville? (or is she still in prison?! :D )

Check out the videos of Slim Potatohead on YouTube - he left New Brunswick after Christmas and drove down to Florida and is on his way to Georgia on a driving tour.

Haha!! Love it, thanks guys!

Yes, going west on the 401 (towards Toronto) is .. boring. the trip is likely a bee-line down the 87 or 81 to the 84 .. Pennsylvania, then starts to go west.. (to avoid the congestions that is the NYC-Philly-DC corridor)

Yes dad loves Guy Fieri, and has eaten at his resto in .. Sonoma?

Yes, I remember seeing & stopping in at the 'South of the border' stop when we were .. in teh late 70's early 80's when it was 'OK'! (And we got the wire-on bumper sticker)

Lots of 'guy stuff', but need some stuff to appease the Step Mum (79yr old Montreal JAP [Jewish American Princess] who can't walk too far / stand for too long..)

Since some people brought up Wallops, I just want to mention that the visitor's center has been closed since COVID. You can still see the Little Joe 1 and sounding rockets as you drive by, but that's it. Pad 0A is also visible from the road leading up to the WFF gate. Chincoteague is nice in its way but it's touristy and everything is closed in winter. I would recommend April or later to stop by Chincoteague if you're into that. A few months from now is going to be between Antares launches, but I don't know what the sounding rocket schedule looks like for this year.

Well, you've already listed the things I was going to suggest from my area: US Space & Rocket Center museum in Huntsville, tour of MSFC, Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg, TN, etc. There is a fairly nice Botanical Garden here in Huntsville also, and a nice zoo in Birmingham, AL.

Except the NASM is closed for remodeling---website says it will re-open in March which is ahead of the schedule I've heard, so maybe not all of it will be open? The Dulles site is open--where the Big Stuff is..Concorde, etc.

If you are going to Cape Kennedy I would highly recommend checking out the Early Space Tour of Cape Canaveral airforce station. That was the highlight of my nearly four days at the cape. So much history.

Uhh, it hasn't been called Cape Kennedy since 1973.

KSC = On Merrit Island up north
Cape Canaveral = USAF installation south of KSC including the eponymous Cape.

Back