Montana gold frustrations.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarsLander

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very frustrating!!

Very frustrating experience with Montana Gold. Love the colors...but it is *really* hard to work with. First pic, started to lay down tape for mask and it just pulls this bubble.

Second pic, weird uneven coverage...didn't change technique on that spot.

Third was a patch that just lifted on first coat. I sanded and recoated to see what I could get. The fact that the first coat just peeled off, I just don't get. My prep was spot on.

Not sure I can recover this at this point, nor sure exactly how. Might have to strip the whole damn thing and start over. Certainly going to have to take all the top coat off and start over with primer...

Need the Montana Gold colors as they are the only ones that match stickershock. If I repaint this in white enamel, can I get the Montana Gold to stick to the enamel (any experience?).

IMG_0252.jpegIMG_0254.jpegIMG_0253.jpeg

Last edited:
No advice, sorry, but like @Hobie1dog said, those are good pictures and have the side effect of showing the Montana Gold's pebbly texture (which is normal).

Sorry for your frustration with it.

This is typical of what I get with simple rusto primer wet sanded to 600, then the masking and top coat after a day of letting it dry from the wet sanding.

A LOT of tape died to do this, and about 10 hours of masking and spraying the various layers. Lots of overlay.

Green frog tape was all that I used.

Max2K top coat.

Attachments

• 20240202_160515.jpg
    20240202_160515.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240202_160504.jpg
    20240202_160504.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240202_160459.jpg
    20240202_160459.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Rattle cans inherently have an extremely cheap nozzle on the top and everybody expects them to have great atomization, but 90% of the time they always leave an orange peel finish as it's incapable of atomizing the paint into really small little dots, so instead it puts out big drops resulting in orange peel.

Same with this one. 129 stars done with a craft punch from oracal vinyl as masking.

Silver was first, add stars, spray the greens, pull the stars after 2 hours dry time, spray the 2K 24 hours later. Same prep as the pink and purple.

Attachments

• 20240202_161020.jpg
    20240202_161020.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Rattle cans inherently have an extremely cheap nozzle on the top and everybody expects them to have great atomization, but 90% of the time they always leave an orange peel finish as it's incapable of atomizing the paint into really small little dots, so instead it puts out big drops resulting in orange peel.
Montana uses premium nozzles, and offers a nozzle option that has 6 other patterns.

The thing is, it's grafitti paint meant for graphic arts with HIGH pigment concentration and very low solvents so it dries super quick. Quicker than your average lacquer, and orders of magnitude more pigment than auto or other hobby and craft paints.

And it will NEVER lay as smooth as self leveling enamel, nor be as hard. This particular product was never meant to be used in the manner that we're using it!

Atmospherics, nozzle, and technique are as critical as prep.

It has a sharp learning curve, but once you get it, it lays pretty smooth and covers in 1 coat.

Last edited:
Sorry for your frustration with it.

This is typical of what I get with simple rusto primer wet sanded to 600, then the masking and top coat after a day of letting it dry from the wet sanding.

A LOT of tape died to do this, and about 10 hours of masking and spraying the various layers. Lots of overlay.

Green frog tape was all that I used.

Max2K top coat.
Tom, that is some serious detail orientation on display. VERY nice job!

I love montana (mtn) metallics. Easy to apply and fast drying. A variety of colors are available (still looking for the green and red at my local Ace Hardware). PXL_20240203_170301778.jpgPXL_20240203_170250742.jpgPXL_20240203_170607293.MP.jpg

Back