Monocopters?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 80's I saw a few launches of monocopters. I think Warren Sisco flew one in Allentown. Anyway, I heard that the design was from Cory Kline and might have flown on an FSI F7. Can anyone add to this discussion?

Art Applewhite's Whirlwind comes to mind.
I remember what it looked like. Imagine something 4-5 feet wide. One side was a built up wing. Like a model airplane ribbed wing covered with 1/64" ply. The other side had two wooden dowels and an engine at the end parallel to the ground but angled slightly upwards.

I'm working on a 3d printed monocoter. Currently, flies on a D12-P, D12-3 or D12-5. I tried an Estes "E", but the ejection charged melted the PETG plastic. Also, I tried an Aerotech F12 24/240, but the monocopter could not withstand the forces and flew apart. I am trying one with somewhat thicker parts and higher infill for the latter.

Will keep people posted of my progress.

Curtis

Attachments

• IMG_4542.jpg
    IMG_4542.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • DSC04937_crop.JPG
    DSC04937_crop.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I'm working on a 3d printed monocoter. Currently, flies on a D12-P, D12-3 or D12-5. I tried an Estes "E", but the ejection charged melted the PETG plastic. Also, I tried an Aerotech F12 24/240, but the monocopter could not withstand the forces and flew apart. I am trying one with somewhat thicker parts and higher infill for the latter.

Curtis
Please do.

if Warren flew one. ( Center Valley, PA ? ) ..... most likely the original ACE Monokopter, designed and limited edition kitted by Korey Kline.

I have my brothers, bought at LDRS 6, built on the field and at hotel and flown on a G10 Sunday.

Will have to get some pics / scan old photos.

if Warren flew one. ( Center Valley, PA ? ) ..... most likely the original ACE Monokopter, designed and limited edition kitted by Korey Kline.

I have my brothers, bought at LDRS 6, built on the field and at hotel and flown on a G10 Sunday.

Will have to get some pics / scan old photos.
YES! It was in Allentown! And I know it was by Kline!

Can you draw up what you have or are there original plans? Do you know whatever happened to Korey?

YES! It was in Allentown! And I know it was by Kline!

Can you draw up what you have or are there original plans? Do you know whatever happened to Korey?
I'd have to dig it out and get pics / draw plans. Have never seen published plans.

Korey was part of Hypertek ( Hybrid motors ) , but I'd heard he was now in the medical field.

Great guy, Kline, I recall hanging with him and Frank at Lucerne in the 90s

I'd have to dig it out and get pics / draw plans. Have never seen published plans.

Korey was part of Hypertek ( Hybrid motors ) , but I'd heard he was now in the medical field.

Great guy, Kline, I recall hanging with him and Frank at Lucerne in the 90s
I agree. I spoke to him once and he told me how to fly two-finned rockets and maybe even single fin rockets. (It was 35 years ago when he was with Ace.)

Back in the 80's I saw a few launches of monocopters. I think Warren Sisco flew one in Allentown. Anyway, I heard that the design was from Cory Kline and might have flown on an FSI F7. Can anyone add to this discussion?
I have the History of mono-copters book written by one of the Tripoli founders, Francis Graham. It includes an entire chapter on Korey Kline designs, and anything else you’d ever want to know about mono-copters.

PM me your address and I will send it to you, all I ask is that when you are done with it, send it to someone else that’s interested

Curtis
Great looking mono

How did ejection melt the plastic?

There has been a lot of discussion, and many posts about monocopters on this forum over the years. Searching for monocopters, or searching specifically for that term in the title of a thread brings up some great stuff from the past. I had a quick look and quickly found this gem:

Ken's G33 Monocopter

Back