Monocopter!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm building an Art Applewhite popsicle monocopter. Pictures to come :y:

The Popsicle Monocopter is really a great flyer. I built one a few years ago because I was bored. Since Art's max altitude on it is about 100 feet, I decided to give it a go in the back yard on its first flight. I invited my dad out to watch, and after giving me some very weird looks, he agreed. Long story short, the rocket made about 4 revolutions, then at about 5 feet up, the wing and pod decided to part ways. The pod flew up right over my dad's head (he literally dove to the ground) about 30 feet away and then bounced off the van parked in the back.

I put it back together with epoxy and it got about 10 flights flying on 1/2A3's, A3's, and A10's before it got too beat up to use. The A3 is really the only good motor for this bird. 'Tis a shame that Apogee doesn't make the C2's anymore...

Moral of the story: make sure the pod and wing attachment joints are SOLID.

Last edited:
The Popsicle Monocopter is really a great flyer. I built one a few years ago because I was bored. Since Art's max altitude on it is about 100 feet, I decided to give it a go in the back yard on its first flight. I invited my dad out to watch, and after giving me some very weird looks, he agreed. Long story short, the rocket made about 4 revolutions, then at about 5 feet up, the wing and pod decided to part ways. The pod flew up right over my dad's head (he literally dove to the ground) about 30 feet away and then bounced off the van parked in the back.

I put it back together with epoxy and it got about 10 flights flying on 1/2A3's, A3's, and A10's before it got too beat up to use. The A3 is really the only good motor for this bird. 'Tis a shame that Apogee doesn't make the C2's anymore...

Moral of the story: make sure the pod and wing attachment joints are SOLID.

Yeah, I have been waiting for some money, with no such luck, for the fiberglassing and other finishing steps of OSD
So I ran down to Michael's to get some posicle sticks ( I got 1000 for $3.99) and found art's plans. So I was excited to get another rocket in my fleet :roll: My dad seems very skeptical of the whole situation too.

I forgot to mention:
Just be sure you follow the launching directions.
I was skeptical about flying it off of only 1/2" of launch rod, but it works!
If you fly it off of a full length launch rod, with all the spinning you would have a lot of rod whip!

I forgot to mention:
Just be sure you follow the launching directions.
I was skeptical about flying it off of only 1/2" of launch rod, but it works!
If you fly it off of a full length launch rod, with all the spinning you would have a lot of rod whip!

Okay thanks! I am going to launch it here in about half an hour. I took a 3 inch piece of 1/8 inch rod and drilled a hole for it in a two by four, securing it with epoxy.:D

SHRED:rolleyes:

Maybe I'll build another :roll:

Edit, here is the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Z_NPumDjM
Follow the directions to the letter. Art's instructions are written in such a way that you will get the results predicted, but only if you do not deviate from them in any way. (No ad-libbing.) Use exactly the materials that are recommended and the adhesive that is recommended. WAIT FOR THE GLUE TO FULLY CURE! That can take a couple of days (literally). Do not take shortcuts on any step. Use good technique when you wrap the cord around the motor mount and attach it to the wood, and strive to do a neat job. Trust me, it really makes a difference. Really work to make yours look exactly like the one in the photo on the web page.

I have made a dozen flights with my Popsicle Stick Monocopter, all of which were perfect, and mine shows absolutely no wear, no weakening and no scorching. I don't know how many flights I will be able to get out of it, but barring any accidents, the number could end up being in the hundreds. (The same is true of nearly everything else of Art's, both kits and builds from plans, that I have built; there is nothing to wear out, and they are all practically indestructible.) I learned early on that following Art's directions to the letter makes a world of difference in the quality of the rocket that is produced and in its flight performance.

This is a really worthwhile project to build, and I hope that you do construct another one and that it will hold together. You will be quite pleased with the flights that you get with it.

MarkII

DSCF1162-1.JPG

SHRED:rolleyes:

Maybe I'll build another :roll:

Edit, here is the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Z_NPumDjM

You have to build it strong, only change that i did was with the string because i could not get any that Art recommended, but i used alot of strong thread. Lay up a couple of fillets of quality white glue and wait until its fully set. you have to build another - after you have got some parts!

Personally I prefer the Micro cardstock monocopters. They still get about 40-50 feet for lots of flights in a day.

Art's monocopters are truely a HOOT no mater what motor class they fall into.

265a-sm_MM Mono Copters a&b (paper)_10-06-02.jpg

Back