Monocoating rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicStorm

Reaction score
I come from a long line of building and flying nitro/gas balsa rc airplanes and i use monocoat on nearly every build. Just curious to see if anyone has used it on rockets?

I have. I think the disadvantage is that it may hide a crimped body tube. So one might miss a damaged tube during pre-flight inspection. But maybe more skilled application is the key to that worry.

The MonoKote formula changed a few years ago. It used to be the best iron on covering out there. Now it is very difficult to work with. I would suggest Ultracote.

I'm an Ultracote guy, always have been. I always felt MK had the marketing behind it, and that made the reputation.. not so much it's quality or workability..

I'm an Ultracote guy, always have been. I always felt MK had the marketing behind it, and that made the reputation.. not so much it's quality or workability..

Can you tell the difference in quality? l learned about Monocote first and I'm pretty sure it's what I ended up finding (based on availability of the colors I needed) but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I think the iron I found may be Ultracote but I'd have to check.

Can you tell the difference in quality? l learned about Monocote first and I'm pretty sure it's what I ended up finding (based on availability of the colors I needed) but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I think the iron I found may be Ultracote but I'd have to check.

Monokote, to me, is / was thicker & stiffer. Ultracote is thinner, and seems to be easier to handle as you go around the model. I found Ultracote was easier to form around parts too [wing tips, cowls, etc..]. I also found it didn't return back to its original size. Monokote I found you had to re-shrink the covering every few years.. And, Ultracote has a per backing, as opposed to the plastic film Monokote comes on..

Lastly, Ultracote has many many many more colours & patterns! (Even Carbon fiber!)

https://www.horizonhobby.com/airpla...es-covering-supplies&srule=most-popular&sz=24

Being a long time RC aircraft person, I have Monokoted a couple of mid power rockets. Works fine. They still look good 25 years later.

Still have to paint the nose cone.....:)

Back