Quantcast

Modified Estes (Semroc) Mars Lander...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

James Duffy

Reaction score
In preparation for a session I'll be presenting at Virtual NARCON in a couple of weeks, here's a modified Mars Lander kit that I've just finished.

IMG_5023.jpg

Instead of paint on the lower section, a package of candy wrapper foil was purchased from Amazon and applied with double-sided tape. Plan on attending my session at NARCON to learn more!

James

Saluki

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Man, this Lander looks so good. You hit the mark on this one.

mach7

Reaction score
Well done James! Your lander looks GREAT!

Dressed like that that it looks NASA ready.

ebruce1361

The man with the plan. And some duct tape.
Reaction score
That reminds me, I still have the LM model that came free with our 50th anniversary Saturn V yet to build. I really want that gold mylar look, but paint just won't cut it. I had the idea a while back to use the foil from Rolos candies and glue that to the model, but I wasn't sure how good it would actually look. Seeing your Mars Lander, it's apparent that I was on the right track. Looks like I'll be buying some Rolos after work and maybe I can get that built this weekend!

James Duffy

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be buying some Rolos after work and maybe I can get that built this weekend!
Don't allow me to dissuade you from purchasing and consuming your Rolos, as they are delicious. However, the foil is available from Amazon in multi-color variety pack for less than $10:

The foil bits are easy to apply using double sided tape. My presentation at Virtual NARCON in a couple of weeks will feature a brief tutorial on the process:

mach7

Reaction score
Dressed up like that your ML looks like one of the Gemini lunar lander proposals.

James Duffy

Reaction score
Dressed up like that your ML looks like one of the Gemini lunar lander proposals.
Yep, that was a major influence.

I also decided to try an alternate nose design, which I'll discuss during the NARCON presentation in a couple of weeks.

IMG_5013.JPG

James

SCooke123

Reaction score
That Gemini style capsule looks pretty cool - not sure which version I like better.

mach7

Reaction score
I love both versions!

Well done!

Joekeyo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished a ML myself. Since it was the first one, the only modifications I made were aligned with those in the Jarosch piece in Sport Rocketry. Other than that, it looks like the card art. The gold is a nice touch.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That reminds me, I still have the LM model that came free with our 50th anniversary Saturn V yet to build. I really want that gold mylar look, but paint just won't cut it. I had the idea a while back to use the foil from Rolos candies and glue that to the model, but I wasn't sure how good it would actually look. Seeing your Mars Lander, it's apparent that I was on the right track. Looks like I'll be buying some Rolos after work and maybe I can get that built this weekend!
Gold Leaf. I recently got my hands on some. Very thin and tears easy, but looks really good I bet.