Modified Comanche 3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidoo

Reaction score
Anyone every try to mod one of these with something like a D second stage (D/D/A-C) or D third stage (D/D/D)? Will the first stage booster lift 3 stages with D engines? Just wondering - seems like you could get some serious altitude with that combo.

Don't know about you, but I don't have a field large enough to fly what works out to a low-F!

man I would love to max out my comanchee 3, a couple things come to my mind; E9s and the lojng burn apogee motors

OOOH....now that would be SWEET! D12-D12-E9! That's about 7.5 seconds of burn! About the same as a M1315 or M1419, methinks! One bit of advice, though...

Don't paint it...you ain't gonna see it again! :p

Jason

Has anybody checked what altitude a D/D/E Commanche sims out at?
I would think over 3000 ft..

The tough part would be fitting the electronics to light the composite motors....unless you used thermalite on the ground.

Do a little kit bashing and here is the "3D" results

3,118' on a D12-0/D12-0/D12-7

By the way, I would do this:

1. In the middle of Death Valley

2. Either with 100' of gold mylar streamer

or

At night with a wicked bright cyalume

D12-0, D12-0, E9-6 = 3800 ft. in Wrasp

stage 1 burnout @ 172 ft., stage 2 burnout @ 814 ft., stage 3 burnout at @ 2880 ft.

Altitude could be optimized by adding some weight to stage 3 to attain ~4150 with a E9-8.

For absolute maximum altitude you need more than an 8 second delay.

Good luck finding it with any of these combinations!

Bob Krech

Nike Park in Isle of Wight in Virginia...

Scott Brown put a D + D + E and we never saw it again. I believe we recovered the first booster can.

I've got on in my garage but am afraid to fly it :) I painted it flor. Orange.

Eric F.

Back