Moderators tell owner to remove $&@"%# Trump ads from this board

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
More than puking sick of the political ads on this site.

We can't post political opinions so why do we have political ads that show up on this site??!!!!!!!!!???

If I see his face again on the ROCKETRY SITE I'm gone FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!

TURN THAT POLITICAL CRAP OFF!!!!

Last edited:
Fortunately, I haven't seen them yet, although I would most certainly have a similar reaction. By the way...were they written in Latin letters or Cyrillic?

Cheers,
Michael

Been running adblockers since before it was cool. I don't even know which sites have ads anymore.

There is a question of where do the ads come from - if the situation is continuation of the following from several years ago there is probably nothing the forum owner can do about your ISP's behavior.
"Real Evil: ISP Inserted Advertising
Posted Jun 23, 2007 by Greg Kumparak
Texas based ISP Redmoon has implemented software that hijacks pages being visited by their customers by placing Redmoon’s own ads on these pages.
The technology is provided by NebuAD, which boasts that ISP delivered advertisements are an untapped source of revenue."
https://techcrunch.com/2007/06/23/real-evil-isp-inserted-advertising/

Cable company inserts ads as subscribers surf
By PETER SVENSSON
The Associated Press
Thursday, March 3, 2011; 3:49 PM
NEW YORK -- Mediacom Communications Corp., a cable company with more than 800,000 Internet subscribers, has tried something other U.S. Internet service providers have shied away from: It has inserted its own ads into Web pages as its subscribers surfed.
Ads for Mediacom's home phone service have shown up on the normally ad-free home pages of Google.com and Apple.com, according to subscribers.
There are only a few reports of the ads showing up, starting last week, and many Mediacom subscribers on Web forums said they had not seen any. That leaves the possibility that the ads were part of a test run rather than a full-fledged rollout.
The company won't say. Spokesman Thomas Larsen said the company's senior vice president of technology was unavailable for comment. On the company's Web forum, a complaining subscriber is told by a Mediacom representative that the issue has been "escalated to the corporate office and we are still investigating."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/03/AR2011030303907.html

Mediacom Puts Its Own Ads On Other Websites, Including Google & Apple
by Mike Masnick
Mon, Feb 28th 2011 1:50pm
from the lawsuit-waiting-to-happen dept
A few years ago, there were stories of ISPs who wanted to use deep packet inspection technology to inject their own content, especially advertising, onto websistes. AT&T even insisted that customers would like it if AT&T did this. Public outcry and Congressional scrutiny seemed to lead many ISPs to shelve such plans... but you knew it was only a matter of time.

Broadband Reports is noting that Mediacom, who recently started using DNS redirection to feed ads (rather than 404 pages) to people who ended up on non-existent web pages (and who made its "opt-out" option not really work), has jumped into the fray and is injecting its own ads for its own services on all sorts of websites including those of Google and Apple -- two companies known for caring an awful lot about what their website looks like in each and every pixel:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...s-other-websites-including-google-apple.shtml

I haven't seen any ads, political or not, so don't know what you're talking about. But don't most ads reflect what web sites you've been to?

Last edited:
me neither.

I see two ads on this page (not counting the rocketry banner at the top) one at eth top of the page, one at the bottom. And usually, neither are of any interest to me.. (both now by "Banggood.com for a camera and a drone..)

Fortunately, I haven't seen them yet, although I would most certainly have a similar reaction. By the way...were they written in Latin letters or Cyrillic?

Cheers,
Michael
I see what you did there. Cyrillic is the Russian alphabet and you think Russia worked with Trump to get him in office unfairly.

Because the Russians must have rigged the primaries using Superdelegates to make sure Bernie Sanders couldn't win? No, that was the DNC.

Because the Russians must have decided to put a private email server in the residence of the Secretary of State and then they sent classified emails on it, then, when the FBI subpoenaed that server the Russians refused, wiped it clean, and destroyed evidence to try and hide who knows what? No, that was Hillary.

But I'm sure the Russians are still responsible for Trump somehow.

Dixon, if you don't want to see political ads, install AdBlock Plus. I haven't seen a single ad on these forums ever because of it.

C'mon. I know the OP was a complaint about political ads, but please let's not make the thread political. I know that sounds weird, but let go with it anyway.

I think the ads on this site are customized to each user based on their search history. If you want to quit seeing Trump ads, then quit searching for information on Trump. :)

Click on "Ad Choices" and you'll see what I mean. You might be able to disable political ads from that link.

Try to look at it the way I do when I let my 8 and 6 year old take political polling calls. The person who paid for that ad (phone call) wasted their money on you. You actually cost them money that they surely wanted to spend targeting someone else. Click on the banner, and it will probably cost them even more. That is why I let the kids stay on the phone if they want, I'm sure they are paying more for answers than hangups.

I do always listen to the first question to see if it is one of those obviously partisan hack type polls. The phrasing of the answer choices usually makes it obvious.

Just wait until they finish dumping net neutrality. All of your web pages will look like the classified ads...

I, too, use AdBluck Plus. I forgot that there were ads on this site.

However, that is not an option for everyone, like if you are viewing from work and don't have admin rights on your machine.

I donated and don't see any ads. I don't mind the rocketry only ads at the top of the page but those are gone now too. I spend a lot of time under Linux at home
and haven't explored the options for ad-blocking. Kurt

Google AdChoices bases the ads you see on what you've searched for or sites you've visited, also based on your location and other demographics. Kind of like a crude AI stalker taking notes on every move of your virtual self.

A website administrator can tell Google to filter certain kinds of ads, but that directly reduces revenue. Why would any business voluntarily reduce revenue?

I have never seen any political ads, maybe because I'm not on those sites or maybe because my IP is in Canada and would be blocked from seeing ads from US politicians? I always see something I searched for on ebay or whatever 5 minutes before. Usually Sirius Rocketry or Sunward at the top, and then my online searches everywhere else.

By the way, somewhat related, YouTube has a "Red" service that is the entirety of YouTube without any ads.

If someone can get me a screen shot, or better yet the information about the objectionable ad/s, I can see about filtering via Google adsense.

Also there are two little boxes in upper right of the Google ads that allows you to better set what you see.

I have not seen those ads mentioned here, so I cannot get the information I need to work on the settings.

I get the ads, but I have never seen a political one. It is almost always ads for stuff that I have already purchased so they are pointless to me.

I got this one.. (I got it earlier today, and had to "F5" a few times to get it back..) no idea why I'm seeing it, apart from the topic of this thread..

obama.gif

Go to your settings on the computer and clear the cookies, and see if it still happens. It shouldn't. Unless you go back to where you've been.

recently I've been seeing ads for 'dating services' (40 plus, European, Russian...), General Electric (was looking at light bulbs, ad was for home appliances) etc. have been known to use google to search for; Victoria's secrets, swimware, hot tees...just to change things up :).
Rex

recently I've been seeing ads for 'dating services' (40 plus, European, Russian...), General Electric (was looking at light bulbs, ad was for home appliances) etc. have been known to use google to search for; Victoria's secrets, swimware, hot tees...just to change things up :).
Rex

I just got dating services too! I know it wasn't me. So now I'm wondering what my wife has been googling....

Yearly. There's also a lifetime membership for... $100? Can't remember. In any case, I consider $15 a year to be reasonable for what I get out of it: no ads, unlimited picture uploads an PMs, and the general usefulness of these forums.
Sorry, I got this wrong. Here are the current numbers:

$2.99 monthly
$19.95 yearly
$150 lifetime

Yearly seems to be the sweet spot as far as I'm concerned.

Back