ModelRocket.US - Toob'oh

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
When placing a recent order at Discount Rockets, I noticed a line of LPR rockets that I had never heard of. They were inexpensive and I wanted to see what they were like. One of them, the Toob'oh, was ready to fly needing nothing. It is a tube finned, minimum diameter, 18mm rocket with streamer recovery.

big_mr_01003.jpg

Toob-pacakge-1.jpg

I was going to try and do a nice Art Upton style unboxing thread but there is only so much you can do with a clear plastic wrapper.

It flies this Saturday.

Toob-unwrap-1.jpg

Toob-unwrap-2.jpg

I was going to try and do a nice Art Upton style unboxing thread but there is only so much you can do with a clear plastic wrapper.
Just looking at that package and contemplating how to open it would have made Art thirsty. :D

Just looking at that package and contemplating how to open it would have made Art thirsty. :D

It made me thirsty too. There's no AC in my shop and I am in Texas.

I probably would have chosen a different beverage than he, though.:cheers:

I too had the plesure of trying out the modelrocket.us kit. I had the Centauri kit, which comes in pieces. Very nice kit with quality parts. At first the balsa wood seemed a little cheap, but after filler and paint can't even tell.

Flew straight as an arrow to about 300 ft on A8-3. :)

Also, talked to Ruby who mentioned that they have boosters for the 18mm BT. I have a fairly large area to launch but to sent that 12" rocket up with a booster might be a bit much....

follr

Last edited:
I too had the plesure of trying out the modelrocket.us kit. I had the Centauri kit, which comes in pieces. Very nice kit with quality parts. At first the balsa wood seemed a little cheap, but after filler and paint can't even tell.

Flew straight as an arrow to about 300 ft on A8-3. :)

Also, talked to Ruby who mentioned that they have boosters for the 18mm BT. I have a fairly large area to launch but to sent that 12" rocket up with a booster might be a bit much....

follr

That one's sitting in the pile someplace. I got one of each since they seemed very reasonable and did not notice that the Toob'oh was an RTF until it came in.

It was sitting on top of some other stuff when I noticed it and decided to add it to the flying list for this Saturday. I hope I have a chance to get through most of the list!:D

Is that the one you will lose on Saturday? :) My wife says this Saturday I either gotta lose some or destroy some since we are running out of room.

Looks really great. Nice job.

Andrew

Is that the one you will lose on Saturday? :) My wife says this Saturday I either gotta lose some or destroy some since we are running out of room.

Looks really great. Nice job.

Andrew

Yup.

Opening a package is something that even I can do.:rolleyes:

As it turns out, I did not get to fly the Toob'oh when expected but I did give it a test flight a week later on my birthday. For its initial foray into the sky I loaded it with a Quest A6-4, put in some dog barf to protect the streamer and set it up at the pad. None of the guys present had ever heard of the company or the rocket.

TOOB-f1a.jpg

TOOB-f1b.jpg

TOOB-f1c.jpg

TOOB-f1d.jpg

TOOB-f1e.jpg

It took off of the pad quickly and flew straight.

TOOB-f1f.jpg

TOOB-f1g.jpg

TOOB-f1h.jpg

During the coast phase it continued to gain some significant altitude.

TOOB-f1i.jpg

The ejection charge popped the streamer and it came down headed straight for the barbed wire fence that had plagued my rockets all day. There was no damage and it was ready to fly again after minimal prepping.

TOOB-f1j.jpg

TOOB-f1k.jpg

TOOB-f1l.jpg

Drift on the A motor, barbed wire fences, a muddy field and general laziness conspired to decide that the second flight would be an a 1/2A6-2. The rocket was prepped as before and taken to the rack and there I noticed what I had not seen before. The previous ejection had discolored the end of the body tube with soot. There had been no harm to the rocket or the streamer and most was easily wiped away.

TOOB-f2a.jpg

TOOB-f2b.jpg

TOOB-f2c.jpg

The flight profile of the second flight was much as the first but not as high. It took off quickly and flew to a lower altitude and I was struck by the notion that this might be a nice rocket to use for streamer demos in front of kids who have a hard time following the action higher up.

TOOB-f2d.jpg

TOOB-f2e.jpg

Then ejection did occur and everything happened as it should have. The rocket drifted down not too far and again was completely undamaged.

TOOB-f2f.jpg

TOOB-f2g.jpg

TOOB-f2h.jpg

TOOB-f2i.jpg

As mentioned before, this rocket came with a streamer. It was already installed. It consisted of a length of pink plastic ribbon perforated at one end with a hole reinforced by a paper reinforcing ring. The streamer was free to slide the length of the shock line. I had not seen this done before but it seemed to work fine.

I personally would have preferred building this rocket myself instead of getting something ready to fly. The rocket itself, though, was nice, well put together and a good flyer. It is very inexpensive so I suppose that if you have the need for something ready to fly it would be a good choice.

This rocket will be chronicled during its lifetime here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157622655367153/

Hey John that rocket really did take off. Folks it has always seemed to me that a rocket with tube "fins" always fly straighter than those with wood fins.

Thanks for taking the pictures at the last launch. Just seems you always got a picture of my big backside.

Andrew

I first saw this rocket this past weekend as I participated in a Cub Scout launch in Pacifica, CA. One of their events was a mass launch of 200 rockets and they had a bunch of the Toob'oh rockets in the mix.

I helped some of the Scouts build'em and also prep them.

Interesting design. I assume they flew well. It was rather hard to pick out any single rocket from the mass of rockets screaming into the air... LOL

DSC05536.JPG

DSC05536crop.jpg

I first saw this rocket this past weekend as I participated in a Cub Scout launch in Pacifica, CA. One of their events was a mass launch of 200 rockets and they had a bunch of the Toob'oh rockets in the mix.

I helped some of the Scouts build'em and also prep them.

Interesting design. I assume they flew well. It was rather hard to pick out any single rocket from the mass of rockets screaming into the air... LOL

So the ones your scouts had were built? That wasn't an option when I ordered mine. It was RTF.

So the ones your scouts had were built? That wasn't an option when I ordered mine. It was RTF.

Oh, no, they weren't built. I helped them build them the day before.

It's actually an odd mix on the tube fin. It's fairly common knowledge that you can fix 6 tubes of a given size around a core tube of the same size. The Toob'oh has *5* tubes around the core. The tube is a bit larger, but was not customized for that fit. As a result, there is a gap between the last and the first tube in the fin unit.

Still works fine though :)

I had a young guest at our club's recent launch and the Toob'oh is one of the rockets he wanted to see fly. I readily agreed and helped him to load a Quest A6-4 and let him take it out to the pad to hook up.

Toob'oh-f1a.jpg

Toob'oh-f1b.jpg

Toob'oh-f1c.jpg

When it was time to launch, Tiger was impressed with what this one did on an A after seeing all the Bs, Cs, Ds and even an H.

It recovered fine.

Toob'oh-f1d.jpg

It was getting hotter towards the end of the flying day and I just grabbed what was handy. That turned out to be the Toob'oh. I gave it an A6-4 and set it up.

Toob-f1a.jpg

Toob-f1b.jpg

The next thing I knew, I had to really squint for it.

Toob-f1d.jpg

Toob-f1e.jpg

Toob-f1f.jpg

I have no idea what it was doing during the coast phase.

Toob-f1g.jpg

Toob-f1h.jpg

But the streamer came out and it came back fine.

Toob-f1i.jpg

Toob-f1j.jpg

Toob-f1k.jpg

Toob-f1l.jpg

When placing a recent order at Discount Rockets, I noticed a line of LPR rockets that I had never heard of. They were inexpensive and I wanted to see what they were like. One of them, the Toob'oh, was ready to fly needing nothing. It is a tube finned, minimum diameter, 18mm rocket with streamer recovery.

We got a bunch of Toob'oh's and their other simple beginner rockets as kits for a charity event. We spent a day building them and giving them out with motors to under privileged kids and then we flew them. We had quite a few left over, so I took one, loaded it up with a new Quest C6-5 and let'er rip! A great flight, and it landed about 300 feet downwind.

We got a bunch of Toob'oh's and their other simple beginner rockets as kits for a charity event. We spent a day building them and giving them out with motors to under privileged kids and then we flew them. We had quite a few left over, so I took one, loaded it up with a new Quest C6-5 and let'er rip! A great flight, and it landed about 300 feet downwind.

I actually thought about using one of the new Quest motors but gave up the idea knowing that I would never find it again. Even if it did not drift far, it would get high enough that I could no longer see it. I half suspect it would disappear on a B.

I think part of the issue is the white body is easily lost. Maybe sometime when I have a young person out to help me track and recover I'll try it with a bigger motor.

Back