Model rockets associated with non- Star Wars sci-fi series/films

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramper Al

Reaction score
I just watched the pilot and next two episodes of Space 1999. The Eagle Transporter really was featured quite a lot, and I found myself thinking about finding and building a Centuri Eagle kit, even though the relevant movie scale part is really just a big plastic nose cone.

Are there other movie/series tie ins that you have found interesting to build? Do any of these rise to the level of a cohesive fleet? Granted, more than one is just a Challenger-1 type Proton Torpedo starter set.

I put together a quick list covering what I found in the 1975-1985 time frame, probably not complete. Please chime in if you know of others that fit this theme. And of course I came across two of the coolest looking rockets that Estes never sold, the Cyclon Raider and the Cygnus Probe Ship.

Estes Star Trek (1975-1979)
#1418 Star Trek starter set
#1275 Starship Enterprise
#1274 Klingon Battle Cruiser

Centuri Space 1999 (1976-1978)
#5316 Eagle Transporter
#5314 Eagle Transporter Starter Set

Estes Battlestar Galactica (1978-1979)
#1310 Colonial Viper
#1311 Laser Torpedo
#1318 Colonial Viper Outfit
#1319 Model Rocketry Flight Pack

Centuri Buck Rogers (1979-1980)
#5336 Draconian Marauder
#5335 Earth Forces Starfighter
#5334 Laser Lance
#5202 Laser Lance Starter Outfit

Estes The Black Hole (1980)
#1350 Space Probe
#1426 Space Probe Outfit

Estes Dune (1985)
#1438 Guild Heighliner

That list looks correct, except the Starship Enterprise's catalog number was 1275. Only Damon (then parent of both Estes and Centuri) would have the money to pay for the licensing fees in those days.

That list looks correct, except the Starship Enterprise's catalog number was 1275. Only Damon (then parent of both Estes and Centuri) would have the money to pay for the licensing fees in those days.

Thanks, fixed that. Yes, I imagine you have to sell quite a few of these to break even on licensing.

And too bad, no Thunderbirds.

OK, I have started collecting all of these Sci-Fi tie-in kits, but it is going to take some time. Can't just buy the most expensive one that comes along.

Meanwhile, and for way less outlay (!), I have picked up all the relevant TV series and movies on the DVD technology. I have been binge-watching (like one episode a night) Space 1999 and am unfortunately just 6 episodes from the end. Next up is Battlestar Galactica, I think!

Back in the day I used to imagine a cynical refugee on one of the less comfortable ships offering this editorial, "Battlestar Galactica? Looks more like cattle car Galactica from here."
:eyeroll:

Not sure if this is where you are trying to go with this but you may find these three MPC rockets interesting:

https://www.erockets.biz/mpc-flying-model-rocket-kit-04-star-trek-uss-enterprise/

https://www.erockets.biz/mpc-flying-model-rocket-kit-05-star-trek-klingon/

https://www.erockets.biz/mpc-flying-model-rocket-kit-06-star-trek-uss-reliant/

I decided to take advantage of the sale prices on these rockets so I ended up with seven (yes seven) USS Enterprise, two Klingon and two USS Reliant.

The MPC rockets are interesting. The body tubes and plastic parts are of decent quality. Maybe better than Estes. However all of these rockets are shipped with parachutes which are FAR too large and shock cords that are MUCH to short.

I am not sure why but USS Enterprise appears to be top heavy and has a tendency to make hard turns off of the launcher. I decided to replace the OEM parachutes with smaller Estes parachutes and I think this may have solved the problem.

I just watched the pilot and next two episodes of Space 1999. The Eagle Transporter really was featured quite a lot, and I found myself thinking about finding and building a Centuri Eagle kit, even though the relevant movie scale part is really just a big plastic nose cone.

Are there other movie/series tie ins that you have found interesting to build? Do any of these rise to the level of a cohesive fleet? Granted, more than one is just a Challenger-1 type Proton Torpedo starter set.

I put together a quick list covering what I found in the 1975-1985 time frame, probably not complete. Please chime in if you know of others that fit this theme. And of course I came across two of the coolest looking rockets that Estes never sold, the Cyclon Raider and the Cygnus Probe Ship.

Estes Star Trek (1975-1979)
#1418 Star Trek starter set
#1275 Starship Enterprise
#1274 Klingon Battle Cruiser

Centuri Space 1999 (1976-1978)
#5316 Eagle Transporter
#5314 Eagle Transporter Starter Set

Estes Battlestar Galactica (1979)
#1310 Colonial Viper
#1311 Laser Torpedo

Centuri Buck Rogers (1979-1980)
#5336 Draconian Marauder
#5335 Earth Forces Starfighter
#5334 Laser Lance
#5202 Laser Lance Starter Outfit

Estes The Black Hole (1980)
#1350 Space Probe
#1426 Space Probe Outfit

Estes Dune (1985)
#1438 Guild Heighliner

Estes #1283 USS Atlantis was inspired by Star Trek. Does this fit your list?

Thanks, I did notice these, and at the ERockets discount rate there is little risk. They are unfortunately of the type of tribute rocket with some show-related graphics but the models themselves bear no resemblance to anything I've seen on the show. And yes some of the Estes and Centuri models above fit that description too.

I am trying to stick with just the licensed Estes-Centuri-Cox-Enerjet offerings, and even then only the earlier (70s, 80's) models. The Estes Star Wars RTF mess that hit around 1997 I am aiming to avoid/ignore at this point.

It's a nice looking model, but no I don't think it does.

It is a really cool flier, gets a lot of attention when it goes up, but only loosely resembles the Atlantis from Star Trek. It has really been stretched, and the saucer section has really been mitigated. Still, it does look like it could be part of the fleet.

There is another thread on here that More Rockets is coming out with a clone.

You might have missed the Colonial Viper starter set (#1318):

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes79/79est8.html

As Mr. Rocket stated, there's also More Rockets (I believe unlicensed & unofficial) Colonial Viper clone and stretched Viper upscale.

Considering how expensive licensing is, I don't think there will be many more "official" sci-fi kits. If you look for scratch-built or plastic model conversion (PMC), you'll find a lot more (Battlestar Galactica Viper Mk.I & Mk.II's, Buck Rogers Thunderfighters, Space:1999 Eagles, Star Trek Klingon vessels, V-Ger, Babylon 5 WhiteStar, EA Shuttle, EA Starfury, Delta Gamma transport, Vree saucer, etc...) It might be fun to make a list of these.

Good luck! :)

You might have missed the Colonial Viper starter set (#1318):

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes79/79est8.html

As Mr. Rocket stated, there's also More Rockets (I believe unlicensed & unofficial) Colonial Viper clone and stretched Viper upscale.

Considering how expensive licensing is, I don't think there will be many more "official" sci-fi kits. If you look for scratch-built or plastic model conversion (PMC), you'll find a lot more (Battlestar Galactica Viper Mk.I & Mk.II's, Buck Rogers Thunderfighters, Space:1999 Eagles, Star Trek Klingon vessels, V-Ger, Babylon 5 WhiteStar, EA Shuttle, EA Starfury, Delta Gamma transport, Vree saucer, etc...) It might be fun to make a list of these.

Good luck! :)

Thank you!

I have collected all these kits plus the Star Wars kits from Estes, all great fun builds. It is a shame that the licensing fees would be too high but I see that Revell sells plastic models based on Sci Fi movies and shows. My simple mind would think since Hobbico owns Revell and Estes it could be a bundle deal.

Back