Model Rocket Safety: For Educators... A cautionary tale.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Towards the end of each school year, Mr. Deller of Ashland Middle School (Ashland, Oregon) would have his science class launch model rockets. It was a fun way to end the year.

In 1983, I was in his class, and we built our rockets. I had a Spin Fin that I had gotten in the class, as well as a Stiletto that I had made from a kit I bought with my allowance. This was my very first time launching model rockets with solid fuel engines, rather than the boring old water rockets we did in summer.

On launch day, he'd pull his truck up onto the field, pop the hood, and the launches would begin.

My rockets did admirably despite the lack of skill I displayed in making them. But one kid's rocket really flew well. After recovery he was being patted on the back by several of the guys for the nice flight and recovery of his rocket. He was only paying attention to the admiration instead of the next rocket being launched. While he was joking around with the guys, he repacked the parachute for his next chance to launch. I however was watching the rocket that the kid who had a reputation for trouble had just launched. A nicely built Nova Payloader.

Rocket goes up, and the we could see the smoke climb up straight, then it stopped, no sign of a parachute deployment. We quickly grasped that the rocket hadn't deployed its parachute, and was now heading straight down, and I mean STRAIGHT down!

Mr. Deller, starts yelling, as does the rest of us to look out, as it's falling, and FAST!!!

The kids around the previous launcher hear the alarm, and all look up, then scatter. Suddenly sensing that something was wrong (like the teacher, and 20 boys yelling at him to look out), he finally looks up from his rocket, sees the incoming missile, and falls backwards.

It hit, right where he had been standing. We all rushed to him and the earthworm seeking missile sticking out of the ground between his feet.

The rocket was pulled out, and Mr. Deller inspected it carefully to find the source of the malfunction. It wasn't a malfunction though, it was sabotage. The bad news kid had removed the parachute, and superglued the nosecone into the body tube without anybody catching on. All launches were subsequently stopped, while he was marched into the principals office. He was immediately suspended for two weeks (thus preventing him from advancing w/us). This incident could have seriously hurt someone, and gotten the program banned in our school/city, who knows perhaps even state.

The takeaway from this:

ALWAYS be the one who does the final inspection of the rocket before school sanctioned launches, you should NEVER trust the kids in this matter. If necessary, find another adult to assist you with the launches, I'm sure there's one out there with enough of a kid inside him to still want to help.

Be Safe Out There!
Jim

Last edited:
Good points.

While every launch doesn't have to be as regimented as a NARAM or a major club launch, every launch with a school or youth group should use a LSO/RSO system in which all rockets are safety-approved before launch by a rocket-competent person, and all countdowns and launches are counted down by the LSO.

Even if you are using multiple launchers in a "misfire alley" arrangement, you don't want kids just pushing launch buttons willy-nilly and rockets going off without the knowledge or attention of people on other pads.

Nobody launches without getting the "go" sign and a 5-second countdown from the LSO. Anybody jumps the gun and "hot-launches" without clearance or a countdown, break down their pad and pack it in the trunk.

As you noted, the potential risks if some kids decide to screw around are pretty serious.

Ahh, Middle School... I remember the days when we would pack 20 kids into the bed of an open pickup truck with all our rocketry gear and haul 40 miles down CA 10 to get to a deserted vineyard in Ontario, next to the old Speedway. Safety isn't a big priority for kids of that age... I was the resident rocket geek, and I got a LOT of crap for being the de-facto RSO. Been helping with Scout launches for years, 13-14 y/o kids are the hardest ones to deal with.

Like you said, the only way to deal with this is to pack it up and leave if somebody gets out of line. They WILL remember, and it will never happen again, at least as long as any of that batch of kids are involved.

Then there was the Cub Scout launch I witnessed. (I was not part of it.)

Multiple Estes launchers were used - low to the ground. The kids would run to the launchers, leaping (literally) to their knees right next to the (almost invisible) launch launch rods, which were sticking straight up. After the rockets were ready to launch and the kids were at the other end of the wire with the controller, THEN they were made to put on safety glasses. I tried to point out that eye injuries from the rods were the bigger hazard and that the kids should be wearing the safety glasses when they approach the launchers. No one listened.

Then there was the Cub Scout launch I witnessed. (I was not part of it.)

Multiple Estes launchers were used - low to the ground. The kids would run to the launchers, leaping (literally) to their knees right next to the (almost invisible) launch launch rods, which were sticking straight up. After the rockets were ready to launch and the kids were at the other end of the wire with the controller, THEN they were made to put on safety glasses. I tried to point out that eye injuries from the rods were the bigger hazard and that the kids should be wearing the safety glasses when they approach the launchers. No one listened.
Larry-I had the same scenario. Nobody wanted to play with the little protective caps the keys were tethered to. Solution? I took the tops of BIC pens and wrapped flourescent tape around them with a 'tail' stuck together and trimmed (notched) to look like a flag. I told them they had to watch those for wind direction before they launched so they could tell which way to look and get 'em back. Worked like a charm every launch once you explain that. Safety? Hah! But they put them back every time.

I'm probably the youngest person to post on this thread :D but me being the one who often teaches and who has the most experience of my club of which I am currently captain of at my school, usually end up having to do all of the safety "speeches". A lot of the time I end up with the one kid who doesn't think these are dangerous things we are dealing with. Earlier this year and for the first time in my nearing 4 years of being in the club I had to kick a student out of the club for just refusing to listen. Now it may be a bit difficult to take "orders" from someone near your age (he's a freshman i'm a junior) but when i have a man who is a NAR Senior member and former NASA engineer backing me up on most everything i am explaining and doing, you damn better listen :) That usually means i know what i'm talking about haha. Now i'm not saying this is the only reason or even the main reason i had to dismiss him from our club, but he was really becoming a nuisance and i was really afraid that when i took him to his first launch he would've most likely been a safety hazard to himself and other members. I do not tolerate stupidity that will cause someone serious harm when there are already many people who think this is a dangerous hobby that should be more regulated. If someone were to pull a stunt like removing the recovery systems or gluing a rocket shut, they would be waiting in the bus (if not have their parents come and get them) for the rest of the day while me and my friends and other members go and launch and have fun the whole day.

Every time I drive by Milliken Ave. a tear runs down my face... what a waste. Fontana ain't the same... no Unser Bros.

Thanks, now I feel really old...sniff! I used to sleep there the night before races to save money. Maybe if I spent more money on the car instead of rockets, I coulda won a couple of times. Thanks for the memory jog!

I'm probably the youngest person to post on this thread :D but me being the one who often teaches and who has the most experience of my club of which I am currently captain of at my school, usually end up having to do all of the safety "speeches". A lot of the time I end up with the one kid who doesn't think these are dangerous things we are dealing with. Earlier this year and for the first time in my nearing 4 years of being in the club I had to kick a student out of the club for just refusing to listen. Now it may be a bit difficult to take "orders" from someone near your age (he's a freshman i'm a junior) but when i have a man who is a NAR Senior member and former NASA engineer backing me up on most everything i am explaining and doing, you damn better listen :) That usually means i know what i'm talking about haha. Now i'm not saying this is the only reason or even the main reason i had to dismiss him from our club, but he was really becoming a nuisance and i was really afraid that when i took him to his first launch he would've most likely been a safety hazard to himself and other members. I do not tolerate stupidity that will cause someone serious harm when there are already many people who think this is a dangerous hobby that should be more regulated. If someone were to pull a stunt like removing the recovery systems or gluing a rocket shut, they would be waiting in the bus (if not have their parents come and get them) for the rest of the day while me and my friends and other members go and launch and have fun the whole day.

Good for you. The screw-offs may think you are just being a big meanie and a party pooper, but when they pull some stupid stunt and somebody gets hurt, everybody has to pay the price (probably with cancellation of the rocket program).

Normally a lot of school is about compromise, negotiation and coming up with a solution "everybody can live with," but not this time -- stick to your guns. If they are gonna screw around with safety, pull the plug on 'em.

wow, didn't realize that people with no concern for safety like that were here as early as the 80's. I thought it was something new. Back when I was in middle school, 7 years ago, we had a technical design class in 6th grade, we got to build rockets, and launch them right behind the school. Everyone followed the instructions, and it was a great time.

Just goes to prove, no one is completely useless. They can always serve as a bad example.

wow, didn't realize that people with no concern for safety like that were here as early as the 80's. I thought it was something new. Back when I was in middle school, 7 years ago, we had a technical design class in 6th grade, we got to build rockets, and launch them right behind the school. Everyone followed the instructions, and it was a great time.

Oh, there have been the people who want to do away with all the "silly safety rules" all the way back to the very first days of rocketry.

But it seems more and more in the last couple of decades, the attitude, "I am gonna flip the bird to authority, I don't follow no rules, ain't nobody gonna tell me what to do, I am gonna do whatever I want," has become more and more fashionable.

That's great but the problem is that while you're running your little revolution, people can get really hurt.

Oh, there have been the people who want to do away with all the "silly safety rules" all the way back to the very first days of rocketry.

But it seems more and more in the last couple of decades, the attitude, "I am gonna flip the bird to authority, I don't follow no rules, ain't nobody gonna tell me what to do, I am gonna do whatever I want," has become more and more fashionable.

That's great but the problem is that while you're running your little revolution, people can get really hurt.

Well, in all fairness, there's a BIG DIFFERENCE between someone "bending a few rules" here and there, while knowing WHICH ONES they can bend and which ones they can't (or SHOULDN'T) and someone being an @$$clown... Lord knows there's plenty of @$$clowns around...

Later! OL JR :)

Well, in all fairness, there's a BIG DIFFERENCE between someone "bending a few rules" here and there, while knowing WHICH ONES they can bend and which ones they can't (or SHOULDN'T) and someone being an @$$clown... Lord knows there's plenty of @$$clowns around...

For school rocketry programs and entry-level rocketeers, I think it's much better if they are told:

"You wanna know which rules you can bend? None. End of discussion."

For school rocketry programs and entry-level rocketeers, I think it's much better if they are told:

"You wanna know which rules you can bend? None. End of discussion."

Yes, this is true...

Experience and knowledge bring wisdom... only then, combined with good sense, do people have the proper tools to know "which rules can be bent".

I had the opportunity of being the safety inspector for a launch at our MidSouth Rocketry Society Field in Memphis (we launch third Saturday of month at Shelby Farms weather permitting and we do have FAA waiver for HPR.). we had about 50 kids. Most kits were vikings, skylofters, and hi fliers

Most common problems:

Nose cone too tight (some had paint shoulder , others had masking tape around shoulder)
Chute or streamer too tight (one Estes fire streak had to use a plunged AND pliers to remove)
Nose cone painted AND taped to rocket.
Very common was shock cord either broken or not attached at rocket end.
Plastic nose cone anchor not adequately glued to nose cone.

Biggest disaster averted was a two stage Taser Twin. "What engines you got?"
"C6-7 to C6-7".......................
"Not today you don't. What say we swap out your booster C6-7 for a C6-0?"
"But we already loaded and taped them!"
"We can fix that. By the way, with these engines you may never see your rocket again."
"that's okay."
(Good boost, staged at 250-300 estimated, recover booster, sustainer never seen after staging."

Overall no injuries, no mishaps, and good time had by all.

Is is OK for me to recommend this (or at least a copy of the OP) to be tacked on to the safety thread? IMHO Educators should be able to find this easily so their programs and students can be protected.

Thanks!
Jim

I'm probably the youngest person to post on this thread :D

Wrong. I'm 14.

A few years ago, I went to a Boy Scout camp for summer camp. Naturally, for one of my merit badges, I signed up for Space Exploration. This is the one where you have to launch a model rocket. Well, we get in there for the 3rd out of 4 meetings, and the instructor pulls out a bulk pack of Estes Gnomes. Well, he asks everybody to turn in their instructions, because he was going to tell us how to build them. (I tucked mine under my seat, I figured what was about to happen.) Well, he has everybody pass in their body tubes, and he hacks about 3 inches off of each tube with his dull pocketknife. He then hands them back out. I take my (sharp) pocketknife, and clean up the cut.

Now, he has everyone make a tiny cut for the engine hook. I was the only person who new what he was talking about. Everybody else almost cuts the tube in half. I ask if he can point that out. He says to me, "Do you want to teach this class or something? I am the instructor, I know what I am doing!"

So, I ignore him and go back to working on this rocket.

Then, he passes around 1 TINY TUBE OF PLASTIC CEMENT for 40 boys to attach a PLASTIC FIN CAN TO THE CARDBOARD BODY TUBE.
After everyone attaches these, he remembers the important thing that everybody has to remember when they launch a rocket that they normally remember when they get out to the pad.
Launch lugs.

He has everybody attach the launch lugs (again, I was the only person who knew what they were for). Everybody just glues theirs on the body tube, not caring where it went, or even if it was in line with the other lug. Then, AFTER the plastic cement has set, he takes a tiny 1/16 by 8 inch long rod to check the alignment.
I ask him, slightly worried, "Is that the launch rod?"
I almost have a heart attack when he responds, "Yes. Is there a problem?"

The part that really got me is the previous day, he had gone over the NAR safety code with the whole class. Obviously he thought he didn't need to use it or something.

The next day (final meeting), we all gather out in the 50ft by 50ft field. I learn that we are not allowed to handle the motors OR igniters. He hooks up the first rocket, then steps back 5-7 feet, then touches the wire to the battery (no safety interlock, by the way). This thing comes off the pad, goes up a good 400 feet, then turns over and lawn darts into the hard packed road.

Then, all 40 boys and the instructor proceed to CHEER and SHOUT WITH DELIGHT!
REALLY!

Then the guy throws his design on the pad. He tried to take the fin can and stick it on the front end of the rocket. The following conversation ensued between him and me:
Me: "You know that is going to be unstable, right?"
Him "Do you want to teach this class or something? I am the instructor, I know what I am doing!"
Me: "OK, never mind."
I step back about 60 feet.

He touches the wire to the battery, and this thing comes off the pad, pinwheels 40 feet above the ground, then suddenly becomes stable and fires under power into the ground.

MORE CHEERING!

Suddenly it starts to rain, and the guy proceeds to say (this was his only intelligent comment of the entire week) "OK, guys, we need you to go back to your campgrounds."

A kid then says, "Wait, do we get the signoff?"
He then replies, "Yeah, you watched it, you can get it signed off."

EVEN THOUGH THE REQUIREMENT CLEARLY STATES:
Build, launch, and recover a model rocket.* Make a second launch to accomplish a specific objective.

That was the most irritated I have ever been in my life. I actually went up to the instructor and asked him not to sign me off on that requirement.
He refused, saying it would be too hard.

So yeah, never do Space Exploration in a group setting, it never works if you have a rocket geek and a Modern Warfare addict in the same classroom setting.

Sorry for the rant!

Matt

Argh. If I ran into a guy like that in any capacity -- as a student or a parent/guardian of a student -- I would hang the dude's rear end from the nearest tree.

I would go straight to the powers that be and inform them that Mr. Instructor Man is:

1) Ordering students to disregard manufacturer's building instructions, exposing the Scouts to liability from any injuries or damages caused by unsuccessful flights;

2) Flying rockets of provably (not 'arguably') unstable design, exposing the whole group to possible injuries from unstable rockets. Ask the Scout honchos if they are ready for the lawsuits which would follow.

There is one word that bureaucrats like Scout leaders always pay attention to: "Lawsuit."

And if Mr. Instructor Man takes this badly --- too bad. Either straighten your act up or quit screwing around with rockets.

It's probably too late to prevent HIM from being an idiot rocketeer, but it sounds like he's taking kids down along with him.

Trust me. If I had remembered his name, I would have reported him.

What do you mean, soxfan121?

Matt

ALWAYS be the one who does the final inspection of the rocket before school sanctioned launches, you should NEVER trust the kids in this matter. If necessary, find another adult to assist you with the launches, I'm sure there's one out there with enough of a kid inside him to still want to help.

Be Safe Out There!
Jim

Thank you ! I'm about to launch rockets tomorrow with the AFJROTC club down here in Homestead Fl
I'll keep your words in mind to inspect all rockets,

Bump...

We're approaching launching season, and I thought I'd bring this up again for any new educators who may benefit from this.

Last edited:
Good points.

While every launch doesn't have to be as regimented as a NARAM or a major club launch, every launch with a school or youth group should use a LSO/RSO system in which all rockets are safety-approved before launch by a rocket-competent person, and all countdowns and launches are counted down by the LSO.

Even if you are using multiple launchers in a "misfire alley" arrangement, you don't want kids just pushing launch buttons willy-nilly and rockets going off without the knowledge or attention of people on other pads.

Nobody launches without getting the "go" sign and a 5-second countdown from the LSO. Anybody jumps the gun and "hot-launches" without clearance or a countdown, break down their pad and pack it in the trunk.

As you noted, the potential risks if some kids decide to screw around are pretty serious.

Great Points Jim!
Actually JStarStar:
Every Group Launch is required by the Model Rocket safety code to have an RSO and Safety Check-in Where EVERY model to be flown is inspected before being assigned a launch pad. No mater if the Range lay out is a Mis-fire alley or club rack launchers or individual satellite launcher arrangement. Safety is Always first... I've found all to often the Good intentions of the un-trained Educator is the source of much mis-information as well as some fairly unsafe launch practices.

Again It doesn't matter if the group is Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, 4-H, Elementry, Junior or High School classes, or any other Group of flying model rocketeers. the Range must be controlled as if it were an open public launch with at very least an RSO, LCO and Safety Check-in are on duty constantly. Safety check-in can be the LCO but should never be the RSO.
Why Safety Check-in? Because there will always be Pranksters and other types who want to cause harm. It's Up to every Model Rocketeer to guard against such harmful flyers.

Last edited:
Wrong. I'm 14.

A few years ago, I went to a Boy Scout camp for summer camp. Naturally, for one of my merit badges, I signed up for Space Exploration. This is the one where you have to launch a model rocket. Well, we get in there for the 3rd out of 4 meetings, and the instructor pulls out a bulk pack of Estes Gnomes. Well, he asks everybody to turn in their instructions, because he was going to tell us how to build them. (I tucked mine under my seat, I figured what was about to happen.) Well, he has everybody pass in their body tubes, and he hacks about 3 inches off of each tube with his dull pocketknife. He then hands them back out. I take my (sharp) pocketknife, and clean up the cut.

Now, he has everyone make a tiny cut for the engine hook. I was the only person who new what he was talking about. Everybody else almost cuts the tube in half. I ask if he can point that out. He says to me, "Do you want to teach this class or something? I am the instructor, I know what I am doing!"

So, I ignore him and go back to working on this rocket.

Then, he passes around 1 TINY TUBE OF PLASTIC CEMENT for 40 boys to attach a PLASTIC FIN CAN TO THE CARDBOARD BODY TUBE.
After everyone attaches these, he remembers the important thing that everybody has to remember when they launch a rocket that they normally remember when they get out to the pad.
Launch lugs.

He has everybody attach the launch lugs (again, I was the only person who knew what they were for). Everybody just glues theirs on the body tube, not caring where it went, or even if it was in line with the other lug. Then, AFTER the plastic cement has set, he takes a tiny 1/16 by 8 inch long rod to check the alignment.
I ask him, slightly worried, "Is that the launch rod?"
I almost have a heart attack when he responds, "Yes. Is there a problem?"

The part that really got me is the previous day, he had gone over the NAR safety code with the whole class. Obviously he thought he didn't need to use it or something.

The next day (final meeting), we all gather out in the 50ft by 50ft field. I learn that we are not allowed to handle the motors OR igniters. He hooks up the first rocket, then steps back 5-7 feet, then touches the wire to the battery (no safety interlock, by the way). This thing comes off the pad, goes up a good 400 feet, then turns over and lawn darts into the hard packed road.

Then, all 40 boys and the instructor proceed to CHEER and SHOUT WITH DELIGHT!
REALLY!

Then the guy throws his design on the pad. He tried to take the fin can and stick it on the front end of the rocket. The following conversation ensued between him and me:
Me: "You know that is going to be unstable, right?"
Him "Do you want to teach this class or something? I am the instructor, I know what I am doing!"
Me: "OK, never mind."
I step back about 60 feet.

He touches the wire to the battery, and this thing comes off the pad, pinwheels 40 feet above the ground, then suddenly becomes stable and fires under power into the ground.

MORE CHEERING!

Suddenly it starts to rain, and the guy proceeds to say (this was his only intelligent comment of the entire week) "OK, guys, we need you to go back to your campgrounds."

A kid then says, "Wait, do we get the signoff?"
He then replies, "Yeah, you watched it, you can get it signed off."

EVEN THOUGH THE REQUIREMENT CLEARLY STATES:

That was the most irritated I have ever been in my life. I actually went up to the instructor and asked him not to sign me off on that requirement.
He refused, saying it would be too hard.

So yeah, never do Space Exploration in a group setting, it never works if you have a rocket geek and a Modern Warfare addict in the same classroom setting.

Sorry for the rant!

Matt

They allowed you to possess a "sharp pocket knife"? Careful Matt, you'll put your eye out with that thing! :eyeroll:

It's too bad that this encounter with an "authority having jurisdiction" was so negative. But don't worry, it won't be your last because there is a never ending supply of such people in positions of power. :wink:

The boy scout troop my son just crossed over into is finishing off space exploration now. They are launching with LUNAR on the 21st. I went to the parent leader meeting last week, and got to answer some questions about launch procedures at LUNAR, and made the pitch (again) that they should really make the drive out to Snow Ranch. One of these days I'm going to get my son's pack and/or my other son's troop out there to see a HPR launch.

I'm going to grab a copy of the space exploration book/pamphlet tonight and see about becoming a merit badge counselor for it. Going to see if Squiddo wants to join the launch and get started on his first merit badge. (He could probably even complete it by the 21st launch date.)

Safety check-in can be the LCO but should never be the RSO.

At the NAR and TRA clubs I fly at, the RSO IS the one that does the safety check. In fact, safety check-in is one of his primary responsibilities, and the LCO won't assign a pad w/o his signature (NAR club) or embossed stamp (TRA club).

At the NAR and TRA clubs I fly at, the RSO IS the one that does the safety check. In fact, safety check-in is one of his primary responsibilities, and the LCO won't assign a pad w/o his signature (NAR club) or embossed stamp (TRA club).

CZ: That may be what your club is doing but Safety Check-in is NOT the RSO's main responsibllity. The RSO is responsable for the OVERALL Safe running of the range; Maintaining flyer/spectator flight line clearence, Checking the skys for aircraft, downrange unauthorized personal and vehicles. Watching Pad loading and all things pertaining to Safe Operation of the range. The RSO can and should be assigning Others to do Safety Check-in and rail/pad assignments. Perhaps your club needs to visit the NAR.org website and do a little more in-depth RSO training.
The RSO Can be directly involved with Model Check-in but it IS NOT a Main Responsibility.

Latest posts

Back