Model Rocket Market Survey

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Wu

Reaction score
Dear TRF folk,

I'm trying to get some insight into the model rocket market. I hope it's not much to ask if you could answer a short survey to help with this research.
I would greatly appreciate it. It should only take a couple of minutes.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HRFJPQS
Thanks for your cooperation,

Kind regards,
Louis Wu

Neil, thanks for the comments. Buying a kit is indeed its own experience. If you go on and build it, that's different (many will collect or hoard kits without ever building them, I think). I'll adjust the other questions.
Cheers

I filled it out but when I hit "done" it just took me back to a blank survey so I don't know if it submitted or not... I said to "ignore my answer to question 1" in the comments. If you didn't get it, I'll try it again.

Hello Antares,
I don’t see a comment like yours, and not sure why it’d kick you out. Please try again.
thanks

Done. See comments at end.

Q7 should I rewrite? Say you see a kit you like. It’s offered in two forms: one needs paint (and decals), the other doesn’t. Would you buy the one that didn’t need painting over one that needed painting?

Louis, is the survey for market research?
Are you thinking of launching (pun intended) a line of kits named "Interstellar Rockets"?
I buy based on coolness of design more than anything else.
Oh, and of course price.

Q7 should I rewrite? Say you see a kit you like. It’s offered in two forms: one needs paint (and decals), the other doesn’t. Would you buy the one that didn’t need painting over one that needed painting?
I would love a *builder's* kit that didn't require painting. However, I can't quite imagine how it could be pulled off. All existing pre-finished rockets range between RTF and E2X, and those are generally not of interest to me.

Also: quality of finish on existing pre-finished rockets tends to be not-very-good. Un-filled spirals, poorly applied stickers, etc.

Last edited:
Louis, is the survey for market research?
Are you thinking of launching (pun intended) a line of kits named "Interstellar Rockets"?
I buy based on coolness of design more than anything else.
Oh, and of course price.
Just an idea, for now.

I would love a *builder's* kit that didn't require painting. However, I can't quite imagine how it could be pulled off. All existing pre-finished rockets range between RTF and E2X, and those are generally not of interest to me.

Also: quality of finish on existing pre-finished rockets tends to be not-very-good. Un-filled spirals, poorly applied stickers, etc.
Builder’s kits that I don’t have to sand and prime, but still have to add color and decals, would be a dream come true.

Hey Louis,

Would yo be willing to share your data? maybe an abridged / condensed version? Curious as to what we all want / expect!

OK, done.

Regarding paint and what it seems like Neil probably said, I find painting to be the tedious and frustrating part of building, but it's part of building so I'd miss it if it were gone. And it's part of the creative design aspect, which is overall high on my list of good parts. I do some scratch building (and even more designing) and for those it's either do the painting or fly naked.

Now, if you could supply parts that are paint ready - filled and sanded, maybe even primed - that would be AWESOME.
Would yo be willing to share your data? maybe an abridged / condensed version? Curious as to what we all want / expect!
Seconded. (But maybe you want to keep you marketing survey data to yourself.)

Not entirely true. Buddy at Rocketman only puts out fiberglass kits that have colored parts. He has stated he lives in a northern climate that has too limited (warm) painting months, so he builds and sells all paint-less kits (you can paint them if you want, but don't have to; i wouldn't).

Folks, thanks to all that completed the survey so far. I have to close it now since Survey Monkey only allows for forty (40) responses for free. Apologies to the last seven that completed it, as your results will not be included.

Hey Louis,

I will share all the data on this thread, and will start as soon as I get a coffee in me.

I was one of the last seven. I'll post my responses here later on - the important one anyway - but don't have the time right now.

Update: I just tried to look at the survey questions to help me remember what I wrote, but the survey does not open by the link anymore. Sorry I can't be of help.

Last edited:
The Long Shot (somehow it needs a booster in this universe)

Long Shot.png

LongShot.PNG

Long Shot is the first Quantum II Hyperdrive starship, based on a No. 4 General Products hull. It was piloted by Beowulf Shaeffer to the Galactic Core, and by Louis Wu to the Fleet of Worlds

longshotNiven.jpg

Last edited:
Back