model rocket construction movie

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
Here is an interesting film showing how to assemble and finish an Estes Viking,showing each step along the way ,including decals and painting.
warning it is a very(very) big file and the movie is 29 min...

check it out...the file is near the top of the page

https://blizzard.rwic.und.edu/~nordlie/rocket/

It's well filmed and clear and can be viewed full screen

I'll have to nip into work a few mins early, tomorrow, and start it downloading. I'll then have something to watch, as I eat my Pot Noodle at lunchtime. :cool:

Thanks for the link, stymye. I noticed that he doesn't have a link to TRF on his page. :mad: ;) Who fancies e-mailing him, about it?

"Holy large file" Batman! Was this filmed at regular speed or was it sped up? I may give it a go since the curiosity is killing me. See if they can trim that file down some. Compression technology is alive and well.

Regardless, thanks for sharing. Movies are somewhat of a higher card than pics in my book. ;)

Well, I watched it at work today, and it aint bad. Very good quality for a home made film. I love the phone ringing, in the background, then the sound of somebody behind the camera leaving the room to answer it. Priceless! :D

One thing though; the chap in the film pronounces Estes 'Est-ees' - a long 'e' sound, for the second 'e'. I've always pronounced it 'Est-es', as it is written, with a short 'e'. Which is right? :confused:

YEP i was wondering about that and it's a pity we did'nt get to see the rocket launching but over all i really enjoyed the video,it was good watch someone using the same techniques we all use:D

I agree John; the bloke preps the rocket, whacks the motor in, bungs in an ignitor, even pops a plug in the end, then ........ the credits roll! :(

They miss out the best bit!

Thats like The Empire Strikes Back ending when Luke first starts falling down the air conditioning tubes, in Cloud City, and not having Darth doing his "I am your father" routine!

It is worth watching, if you've got the bandwidth to download it. Took me just over an hour on an ADSL-style connection. Infact it took a little longer than that, 'cos I was sneakely downloading it, in the background, onto one of the office PCs; and the operator had Windows CATO on her, so I had to wait until she was off the machine to resume the download (good old GetRight!).

Originally posted by cydermaster
Well, I watched it at work today, and it aint bad. Very good quality for a home made film. I love the phone ringing, in the background, then the sound of somebody behind the camera leaving the room to answer it. Priceless! :D

One thing though; the chap in the film pronounces Estes 'Est-ees' - a long 'e' sound, for the second 'e'. I've always pronounced it 'Est-es', as it is written, with a short 'e'. Which is right? :confused:
If you watch one of the commercials for Estes Rockets over at Estesrockets.com, the narrator at the end will pronounce it for you. EST-ES. I always thought it was EsteEs.

Originally posted by astronboy
Well, Vern says that his name is pronounced:

Ess Tez
Cheers for that, Fred - that was how I was saying it.

BigL: Didn't know there were comercials on the Estes site. I tend to go there, download the catalogue/supliments, and leave the rest of the site alone. I find the site a bit idiosyncratic, shall we say. I'll have to get into work early tomorrow, and download them to watch, whilst I munch my Pot Noodle at lunchtime. Incidently, my Pot Noodle of choice is the bacon flavoured one, known as "The Sizzler"; nice of them to name it after an Estes Rocket! ;)

Back