Model Rocket car

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRFfan

Reaction score
I've been giving this some thought, and it sounds kind of interesting. A model rocket car powered by a small EDF unit and a composite motor-you could get alot of speed out of that (from the rocket motor) and distance (from the EDF unit). What do you think?

Electric Ducted Fan...poor mans RC jet engine

Thank you, that was not one coming up on the web search. Number one, Électricité de France.
I even have a EDF!

Most rocket cars are guided by a wire, the more distance the more wire required. Plus it needs a straight, smooth surface, little pebbles become large obstacles at high speed.

Thank you, that was not one coming up on the web search. Number one, Électricité de France.
I even have a EDF!

Most rocket cars are guided by a wire, the more distance the more wire required. Plus it needs a straight, smooth surface, little pebbles become large obstacles at high speed.

Yea.....and the aerodynamics at high speeds would difficult to calculate as would the stability....there isnt any program out there that simulates rocket motor cars. And also there is the issue of the wheels....at high speeds you would have to have a very durable and strong material to resist the stresses.

A flat, straight track of about 500 meters or more would be sufficent for this kind of project.

And i was thinking that the car could look like the bloodhound ssc (since it is powered by a rocket and an edf unit).

Wouldn't a fan cause extra drag and maybe instability at the high speeds?

Might buzz, though. That would be cool, but an electronic buzzer would increase on drag less.

How about using a N5800? The top speed would be crazy high though, and most materials probably wouldnt stand up to the stress.

When I first saw the speed posted I figured, "Okay, this must be SCALE MPH." Clearly it's literal. Maybe I missed it but was there a recovery system employed or was there enough room for a complete roll to a dead stop without any aid?

When I first saw the speed posted I figured, "Okay, this must be SCALE MPH." Clearly it's literal. Maybe I missed it but was there a recovery system employed or was there enough room for a complete roll to a dead stop without any aid?

Chute + cord clamp.

Back