Model Rocket Battle 3 | Dude Perfect

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was entertaining-ish, but also a little disappointing as someone legitimately invested in the hobby.
That is because it is clearly not intended for us. Dude Perfect has more than 50 million (!) subscribers on Youtube. I feel confident they could not care less about what serious rocket hobbyists, whom I would guess number in the thousands, think. This is pure mass-market entertainment, for better or worse.

That is because it is clearly not intended for us. Dude Perfect has more than 50 million (!) subscribers on Youtube. I feel confident they could not care less about what serious rocket hobbyists, whom I would guess number in the thousands, think. This is pure mass-market entertainment, for better or worse.

You might be correct, btu that does not make it right to promote unsafe habits.

But 3 of four had serious issues. I think they should recruit some experienced help.

And I'm sure the 1st 3 were planned to be unstable. Your typical YouTube viewer wants to see carnage, not a straight up, chutes out, safe recovery rocket launch.

That's what gets the clicks, the likes, the subscriptions... from the masses.

The good folks here at TRF aren't the "Target Group" the 3 Dude Perfect show is after.

And I'm sure the 1st 3 were planned to be unstable. Your typical YouTube viewer wants to see carnage, not a straight up, chutes out, safe recovery rocket launch.
I agree. My gut feeling is they performed as intended. There's more work behind videos like these than many here are giving them credit for.

I've been around film crews for some "reality" shows before and nothing came up unexpected. The producers had it all planned from the beginning.

Disappointing is the constant haughty attitude of many on this forum. Morons? Dopes? I don't think so. The jealousy is deafening.

Twenty some years ago there was a TV show about high power rockets. They were traditional rockets, but there was an outhouse. People that saw the show always mentioned how cool they found the outhouse. Several of them got into the hobby. I contend that that this group of guys have done more for the hobby than any of the complainers on this thread.

Last edited:
I agree. My gut feeling is they performed as intended. There's more work behind videos like these than many here are giving them credit for.

I've been around film crews for some "reality" shows before and nothing came up unexpected. The producers had it all planned from the beginning.

And who knows where they are launching? It sure looks remote. They may have waivers and are not even subject to the codes - rules - regulations that we mere mortals have to follow.

And who knows where they are launching? It sure looks remote. They may have waivers and are not even subject to the codes - rules - regulations that we mere mortals have to follow.

Battle 2 was on iirc a well known rocketeers farm, he admitted to hosting them and being part of the process, the motors were from LOC irrc as well.

Al lot of you knew Frank anf the big, yellow Tweety Bird on the playa. He had campfire stories about Myth Busters that were as hilarious as demoralizing. You know the "LDRS" moniker came from a facetious ( or sarcastic) comment to a reporter, right? Balls just evolved. As hard as we fight every damm day for safety and respect, the gen pub links us all to basement bombers in their stunted little tv educated minds. Everybody thinks we know all the crazies out there that make the news like the flat earther that cratered himself of the genuinely disturbed dude that left behind an ATF nightmare in Escondido. So, yeah, film at 11 hurts us 10 times out of 12. Be safe and keep swingin for the fence. Educate your peeps and even yer boss. I had to!

Disappointing is the constant haughty attitude of many on this forum. Morons? Dopes? I don't think so. The jealousy is deafening.

Twenty some years ago there was a TV show about high power rockets. They were traditional rockets, but there was an outhouse. People that saw the show always mentioned how cool they found the outhouse. Several of them got into the hobby. I contend that that this group of guys have done more for the hobby than any of the complainers on this thread.

I am not jealous. I just worry for the next 20-30 that argue as I refuse to fly their rockets. I am concerned about the image I may send to people I am asking for a waiver or the local governments the next time I ask to host NSL. Jealous, heck now. If I wanted a YouTube channel, I would try to make one.

Last edited:
But 3 of four had serious issues. I think they should recruit some experienced help.
Yet here we have a link to their channel on TRF which ironically is increasing traffic to that site via algorithms, regardless of how many of us actually click on it. The presence of the link here in TRF alone will increase its promotion, hit count, and their revenue, and encourage them to do the next one and push the boundaries to infinity and beyond.

So, should a thread like this be relinquished to the vendor pages, as they are de facto purveyors of questionable rocketry shenanigans, or should their YouTube channel links be eradicated from TRF altogether, what say the moderators?

Yet here we have a link to their channel on TRF which ironically is increasing traffic to that site via algorithms, regardless of how many of us actually click on it. The presence of the link here in TRF alone will increase its promotion, hit count, and their revenue, and encourage them to do the next one and push the boundaries to infinity and beyond.

So, should a thread like this be relinquished to the vendor pages, as they are de facto purveyors of questionable rocketry shenanigans, or should their YouTube channel links be eradicated from TRF altogether, what say the moderators?
This is just a huge overreaction. Removing or moving the video link would be insane over-moderation. Are we going to start policing every link that's posted on this forum and vote on whether it is satisfactorily promoting the hobby in exactly the way that certain people approve of? Come on.

Commenting on/discussing the video is fine, but let's not get carried away here. It's not like they're building pipe-bombs.

Last edited:

No need for censorship.

Generating traffic does not equal quality information or safe rocket practices.

No need for censorship.
Not censorship, but rather judicious and selective sponsorship. As long as that link remains on the TRF forum, the collective member supported contributed TRF funds are sponsoring that channel.

How do you figure that:
a) the presence of the link alone (without clicks) creates revenue/hits
b) TRF funds are used to sponsor the channel

Not censorship, but rather judicious and selective sponsorship. As long as that link remains on the TRF forum, the collective member supported contributed TRF funds are sponsoring that channel.
It's a user-posted link to a video on a forum. Take a step back and think about what you're saying. Every link posted anywhere on the web contributes to the search ranking of that page. That's the way the web works in 2022. It's not "sponsorship".

You are free to choose which links *you* want to post, but please don't presume to choose for others, or ask that the mods take on that task. The linked video does not violate any known forum rules.

I vote to leave it in case you were taking a poll Chuck. :) The video I posted in #44 is, I thought, a "fair and balanced" discussion from the guys behind the Dudes. They make a case that these videos are a net win for the hobby. I don't know if it can be viewed without a Facebook account.

Last edited:
Actually, what annoys me most about these fakers is that YOUTUBE promotes them. If I search on Youtube for "Model Rocket" they are THE VERY FIRST THING that comes up. Even if I search "build model rocket" or "model rocket launch". I swear I could put in "coronavirus" and they'd come up as a video to watch. One of the reasons it seems, that they have 50 million viewers is that youtube is helping them become multi millionaires. Clearly, youtube makes bank on these guys -- if they are making millions then youtube is making billions. One hand washes the other I guess. But it still is fracking annoying.

I found these guys by searching for videos with the key words "model rocket" that had the highest number of viewers. They get together and want to do a show with rockets. What can we do with this? I know! Have a rocket contest! Competition Rocketry FTW - 164 million views eclipses your hobby...

I'm not a fan. I have seen all three but honestly, if they make a fourth one i'm not watching it. These guys are giving people the wrong idea about rocketry.

We here on this forum and in the hobby understand that this is made for TV and without drama no one tunes in but the average person watching this comes away with the idea that rockets are dangerous and uncontrollable. Personally I wish they would stop making these but that is just one persons opinion.

P.T. Barnum is reputed to have said, "There's no such thing as bad publicity."

While rocketry is not a circus, YouTube can feel like it at times. If you don't like the content you see, close the tab/browser and move onto the next time vampire video... :)

Back