Model Rocket Battle 3 | Dude Perfect

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched this. I know it’s all for show, but I was surprised how unstable / dangerous the flights were. I know these guys didn’t build them. It sure left the impression that this was normal for large rockets.

Just watched this. I know it’s all for show, but I was surprised how unstable / dangerous the flights were. I know these guys didn’t build them. It sure left the impression that this was normal for large rockets.
i was wondering where they got these from?

That is definitely disappointing.

I got the impression that they were all made with questionable stability on purpose. Makes for better video. It's not like there was a actual crowd there. This was entertainment FIRST. Rocketry was third or fourth on the list. No rockets blew up on the pad, no rockets landsharked. Meh, it was entertaining. WE know how they should fly, but we're not the target audience. You have to keep the target audience's attention for more than two seconds, and right proper flights won't do that.

Where did they get such motors? Are those guys certified?

Where did they get such motors? Are those guys certified?
I suspect they paid certified people to make the builds and supervise them from behind the camera. All they really did was press the launch button with their signature enthusiasm. (Just guessing here, maybe they did participate in the builds).

Last edited:
I visited the Dude Perfect lair in Frisco Texas before the making of Rocket Battle 2. These guys are Youtubers with a capital "U". They make big bank with their videos and the production facility is really impressive. I talked to one of the producers and he convinced me that the actual launches were at least as safe as any NAR or Tripoli launch. If I wasn't an old fart set in my ways I'd be jealous. ;) Search this site for similar concerns raised about Rocket Battles 1 and 2. The sky's still blue, the sun still rises, our hobby goes on. :)

1. Each time they do this the rockets are bigger than the last time. So where do they go from here ?
2. I must admit I like the "rust bucket" design
3. Was the drone killer shot luck or staged?
4. How old are these guys?
5. Highest altitude is the metric for winning, yet the designs have little to do with going high ...
6. Enthusiasm over rides all logic, engineering, design etc etc.
7. A pepperoni pizza

Videos such as this are awesome.... easily fast forward through all the bullshit theatrics and just watch the rocket launch footage.

I do fear though that these clowns are going to hurt themselves and/or others, which could lead to restrictions in the hobby.

But Evel Knievel used to get the same grief from folks worrying about kids emulating him. Personal responsibility has to come into play.

Last edited:
1. Each time they do this the rockets are bigger than the last time. So where do they go from here ?
2. I must admit I like the "rust bucket" design
3. Was the drone killer shot luck or staged?
4. How old are these guys?
5. Highest altitude is the metric for winning, yet the designs have little to do with going high ...
6. Enthusiasm over rides all logic, engineering, design etc etc.
7. A pepperoni pizza
My main thing is the story I have for kids when they ask about this.

"Yup, those are professionals with people in charge of safety -- come on out to a launch, double your motor size every time, check out the Tripoli Mentoring Program!"

This is basically "fly the alphabet" expressed as One Weird Trick To Fly Enormous Rockets Higher Than Jetliners -- Number Three Will Amaze You!

I'm curious if they really hit the drone by accident or not.

Sandy.
What I understand from the video is that the drone owner and operator (Tyler) was trying to get as close as possible to get the best shot, without expecting to get hit. The rocket certaintly wasn't guided.

I have a lot of respect for this team. A trick shot video they made in the early days of YouTube went viral and they managed to keep their viewers and make a big business out of it, refusing beer sponsorships because of their young viewers.

It was posted yesterday. Disappointing that they cannot build a stable rocket.

Monetizing unstable rockets to an unknowledgeable audience gives the wrong impression of the hobby to the (m)asses. Whoever has the certifications for these launches (the "dudes" or behind the scenes morons) should have their certs stripped. Obviously no RSO amongst these dopes...

Whoever was involved should pop up around here eventually. Did so for the first and/or second video.

:popcorn:

I think most of the comments about how they run the show have already been made in the earlier episode threads and are still valid, so I won't go there. If they honestly had a ride on the Blue Origin rocket purchased/donated for the winner, though, it is tragic.

I say, next time they do it (and I imagine there will be a #4), have them run their deal however they do and let one of the real NAR/TRA high power folks that routinely fly real high be a ringer. Specifically, whichever guy 'won' with whatever his altitude is, have the second guy ask if he's willing to bet that his ringer could fly twice that high (or 5 times etc.). Add the BS drama that is required and then hit the button (per official range safety procedures) on a well prepared rocket that executes flawlessly. If more drama is needed, instead of beating the guy by twice the altitude, beat it by 10 times. . . at least then, a legit/good flight is likely to be seen.

Sandy.

I had similar concerns when their Bounty Hunter almost took out a cow in the first battle. I suspect they used a D12.

Their videos always remind me of a Seattle comedy show.

Monetizing unstable rockets to an unknowledgeable audience gives the wrong impression of the hobby to the (m)asses. Whoever has the certifications for these launches (the "dudes" or behind the scenes morons) should have their certs stripped. Obviously no RSO amongst these dopes...
Well LOC has made no secret of their involvement as the link in post #9 shows. As each Rocket Battle was filmed in Texas I know some of the other folks involved. I’ll leave it to them to speak up here if they care to. When I met with the producer they were looking for a location for Rocket Battle 2. Our club, DARS, debated whether or not to get involved and decided the optics of the final product is problematic, for reasons noted in this thread. When it comes to launch filming everything is planned, scripted, and choreographed. From a safety standpoint they are being advised by TOP MEN and they have deeper pockets than any NAR section or Tripoli prefecture. ‘Nuff said by me. :)

Last edited:
Certifications are not required to launch unless you're at a Tripoli/NAR sanctioned event...

Of course, I don't know the full details of how much designing and building the Dude Perfect guys actually did, but I know the rockets and motors came from LOC/PML.

At any rate, they were a safe distance away and under the supervision of folks with more experience than a lot of people complaining about it.

I got the same sort of flak for posting my shreds/catos compilations to Youtube. On the whole, though, it's introducing many new eyes to the hobby. Those overzealous to destroy stuff will learn that that's not how things go when they attend an actual launch, but there's a great chance their exposure could introduce new participants to the world of high power. That's something that it seems like many seasoned high-power fliers are afraid of.

In many cases, it seems like a lot of old-timers would rather see the hobby die than risk "bad" publicity.

Braden

They're internet buffoons, pretenders, another form of Kardashian. I've seen one or two of their basketball shot videos so when the first rocket battle came out I pretty much knew they were pretenders and they didn't build the rockets themselves. I've refused to watch any more of their videos. I don't respect pretenders but the joke's on all of us because they make a LOT of money and I have to work part time and get paid by the hour.

Just watched the video with the family and right after the first launch my wife and son both said something along the lines of "that's not supposed to happen" and "why did that rocket get all squirrelly". They even questioned why they're all using large rockets if they just wanna go high -- understanding that a simple minimum diameter rocket could have easily won.

It was entertaining-ish, but also a little disappointing as someone legitimately invested in the hobby.

It will be the end of rocketry as we know it.

Gets said every time there is a video of a launch where the people did not spend weeks agonizing over simulation results and doing Gregorian chants of the safety code.
Yep, rocketry comes to an end as often as the world does!

I think I've survived at least half a dozen apocalypse events in my short 26 years.

Braden

Back