Model design Handbook

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
A book I reciently purchased that covers model design in depth and I would highly recomend it -Model design and blueprinting handbook- by Charles Adams
https://www.modelersnotebook.com/

This book explains in great detail how to get correct dimensions from photos to 2d or 3d format. the effects of perspective distortion can be dramatic, the closer the image the more dramatic it becomes. so an accurate flat drawing will often be quite changed from the photo , the camera lens causes distortion, the photo is most likely not on a direct centerline ect...there are several factors involved. and several methods of distilling correct dimensions

with photos,a good "representation" can be made in many cases but theres a whole lot more to it than meets the eye to get truely accurate drawings.
ofcourse the book covers alot more subjects than working from photos

If a person is interested in creating accurate drawings for modelbuilding regardless of the software they preferr,this book is for you. I work in 2d and 3d, corel , illustrator , paint ect.. and gained alot of very usefull info from this book. it covers every aspect from start to finish, covers several software programs and the tricks to getting the most from them.including pattern development for card modeling like creating complex transitions and shapes

the book is quite substantial at 265 pages and full of illustrations .yet beginners at drawing plans will have no problem following along.

I purchased a "blemish" copy yet I can't figure out what that blemish may be
it looks like a brand new book. I believe the original run is or nearly sold out
you can get much more detail at the site, and yes it does cover examples of rockets and spaceship type designs.

worth checking out

Just ordered mine too! Thanks to both you guys! :D I didn't know they were so low on stock till I saw your post Rocketguy! -eh, so much for the milk money!:angel:
Guess I'll have to wait awhile before buying more music- and I'll have to find my helmet- cus Val's gonna get the frying pan! :afraid::ahhhhh::vroam::D

AX'E :thrasher:

Ditto here. Thanks for letting us know! BTW IIRC there are now only 9 blemished copies left!

Andy,

Thanks for posting this information.

I just bought one too!

I just grabbed a scratch-n-dent special as well.

I'll have to find my helmet- cus Val's gonna get the frying pan! :afraid::ahhhhh::vroam::D
That's why I have my rocketry purchases delivered to my workplace -- it's easier to sneak them into the house without my wife seeing them. I suspect she does the same thing with purses and shoes.

Boy, must be a good book! I just ordered one too!:lol:

Don't have to worry about someone seeing me get this at the house!

Thanks for the great info Andy!!;)

Actually Val surprised me yet again. When I told her the cost, and what it was for, she's hoping it gets her quickly, because she wants to go the Naval Aviation museum in Pennsecola (fl), and better pictures and techniques might equal more rocket and/or card-model toys! :)

AX'E

stymye,

You should be getting some kick backs for the number of books you helped sell.

Sold Count = Sold Count + 1

only the blemished ones are left!!! got mine. thanks styme

The book arrived today--WOW:D This was supposed to be a "blemished" copy but man, it was in excellent condition--I only found one little spot on the front cover, and that was because I was looking for it!

Very nice, has a section on creating construction patterns, similar to the work I posted here. All you Nike Ajax fans out there have a blast--plus it shows how to make "flat patterns" so you can cut shrouds, etc out of flat materials.

Excellent find styme--thanks for sharing. Hopefully they will get a new printing for those who missed out. They asked me where I found out about the book, and I sent them a link to this thread...so if there is interest, perhaps they will see it here.

thanks dave , I tried to send this page link after he asked to view it but it's like my email is blocked by them.

Same here, but it was the "auto link" outlook created when I typed the url for me. I deleted it and re-pasted as "text only" and it seemed to go through. They never said anything back, but the 2nd try did not bounce. You oughta get a commission or deep discount on your next order;)

Got mine today and the book is in perfect condition. Sometimes booksellers have a legal contract with the publisher that only allows them to sell at a sale when a book is damaged. Claiming that a book has some sort of blemish allows them to get around that. I'm thinking that's what is happening here.

Well, very close examination of the back cover shows a little offset registering of the blue over the red, so there is a little bleeding -- but it is so minor, I wouldn't notice it normally---I was just trying to find something odd. The important part of the book (the insides) is perfect! The more I dig into it, the more impressed I am in the depth of subject presented here--it would make a great HS drafting text book (do they still offer drafting in HS anymore?). The author balances old school "board" drafting with computer CAD (and discusses "drawing" programs like Corel as well). This was an excellent find.

Mine came and it too looks to be in perfect condition. What a deal. Thanks again for the timely heads-up stymye!

glad everyones happy so far. I will be getting a complimentary copy of Vol II when it comes out and there annother run of this volume to be coming out soon according to the author .

Sometimes scratch and dent refers to what is referred to as "shelf damage." To most people this is virtually undetectable but as books sit on shelves in a book store and are taken out by customers and reshelved, then moved to a different part of the store, etc. they begin to show wear on the bottom edge that touches the shelf and the dust can, ever so slightly, discolor the top edge. It makes no difference to me but they can no longer be classified as "new" according to somebody (publishers?). I've bought shelf damaged books a bunch of times for school. They are almost always near perfect.

I got mine today and like everyone else, it appears to be in perfect condition.

Thanks Andy, for letting us know about the book.

I too got mine Tuesday...Looks to be in perfect condition..Tho when I look REALLY close on the front cover there is a TINY(about this big: '.') red dot under the 'A' in An In-Depth Guide for 3D and Traditional Modelers..Will have to dig into it..

Thanks again Andy! Enjoy the comp V2 when it comes out! ;)

My copy came in the mail today. It had a torn cover and shelf ware, but nothing that didn't make it unreadable.

Took a fast look thru it, looks good, but will have to wait till I have some time to go over in more detail.

Only the rear cover of mine has some ink blotches. The rest looks perfect.
AX'E

Latest posts

Back