mobius lens thru switchband, pointed down

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am doing roughly the same thing for my Level 3 but not on the switch band. I have a 3D Printer as well. If you want to work on this, PM me and we can start design.

Right now I am disappointed, I bought a Mobius and extension cable for the lens from eletoponline365 on e-bay. It turns out I got a Mobius 2 and the extension cable I purchased was for the original Mobius. He does not have any cables for the Mobius 2 at this time, and the longest he is aware of is 5cm, and I will need more like 30cm.

I am looking for alternative cables and may go back to the key chain camera which I used on my L1 rocket that I lost to the woods at the sod farm last year.

I am also looking to do a L3 rocket next spring for LDRS, I want to do a short, fat, squat rocket with 3 motor mounts. I would get my L3 on the center motor mount, then I will play with air starts on the outboard motor mounts.

Could you use and Eggfinder wifi switch to power on the camera before launch?

What blackwing said is only part of the story. There are 2 settings on the mobius that are of interest to us. The first is the power on auto record which will start recording when the power is applied and the power button is pressed. The second setting is auto-record on external power.

If you hook the wifi switch up to provide external power, blackwing is right in that it needs 5V to work. This means you can use eggtimer wifi switch but it needs to have a 5V regulator in between the camera and the wifi switch.

If you use the wifi switch between the normal battery connection and the mobius, you can use the wifi switch directly. However, you have the issue of the power button to deal with. I currently have an inquiry into mobius support to see if I can bypass the power button and have it auto-power up when it gets a voltage on the main battery line. If not, you could still use a momentary switch for the job and drill an access hole for it.

Right now I am disappointed, I bought a Mobius and extension cable for the lens from eletoponline365 on e-bay. It turns out I got a Mobius 2 and the extension cable I purchased was for the original Mobius. He does not have any cables for the Mobius 2 at this time, and the longest he is aware of is 5cm, and I will need more like 30cm.

I don't have a Mobius 2 (yet). I am waiting for 3D printed shrouds to be available before upgrading from the M1. As far as extension cables are concerned (for the M1), I did connect 2 cables together between the camera module and the circuit board. That resulted in interference (blue horizontal lines sporadically appearing). So if anyone is considering daisy chaining multiple extension cables together for a long run from board to lens on a Mobius, that may not work out. YMMV.

What blackwing said is only part of the story. There are 2 settings on the mobius that are of interest to us. The first is the power on auto record which will start recording when the power is applied and the power button is pressed. The second setting is auto-record on external power.

If you hook the wifi switch up to provide external power, blackwing is right in that it needs 5V to work. This means you can use eggtimer wifi switch but it needs to have a 5V regulator in between the camera and the wifi switch.

If you use the wifi switch between the normal battery connection and the mobius, you can use the wifi switch directly. However, you have the issue of the power button to deal with. I currently have an inquiry into mobius support to see if I can bypass the power button and have it auto-power up when it gets a voltage on the main battery line. If not, you could still use a momentary switch for the job and drill an access hole for it.

I drilled an access hole in the vent band and use a toothpick to press the power button on my Mobius 1. Just so happens that the camera body is mounted on the sled so that the power button lines up with the vent/switch band. I use a piece of fiber optic filament - one end stuck into the hole on the back of the camera body where the red LED is, and the other end poking out of a vent hole - so that I can verify the camera is recording. Once the light starts blinking, I just poke the filament inside the hole.

I don't have a Mobius 2 (yet). I am waiting for 3D printed shrouds to be available before upgrading from the M1. As far as extension cables are concerned (for the M1), I did connect 2 cables together between the camera module and the circuit board. That resulted in interference (blue horizontal lines sporadically appearing). So if anyone is considering daisy chaining multiple extension cables together for a long run from board to lens on a Mobius, that may not work out. YMMV.

The Mobius 2 have 24 pins and the Mobius 1 has 26 pins in the connectors. I am sure cable length makes a difference and that is why you only see 5cm extension cables for the Mobius 2.

I drilled an access hole in the vent band and use a toothpick to press the power button on my Mobius 1. Just so happens that the camera body is mounted on the sled so that the power button lines up with the vent/switch band. I use a piece of fiber optic filament - one end stuck into the hole on the back of the camera body where the red LED is, and the other end poking out of a vent hole - so that I can verify the camera is recording. Once the light starts blinking, I just poke the filament inside the hole.

Thanks! Did you remove the mobius casing? I am planning on removing the casing and making a custom housing for it.

Thanks! Did you remove the mobius casing? I am planning on removing the casing and making a custom housing for it.

No. The case is zip tied to the back side of the 3D printed sled. The two screw holes in the case line up with two screws protruding from the front side of the sled. So the protruding screws slip inside the two holes in the case and that keeps the case from sliding around. This is all just a coincidence. Pictures would explain much better, and I will try to post some tonight as I assemble the e-bay for MWP. I made a mounting bracket and epoxied the the lens module to it. The bracket is then epoxied to the inside of the coupler. So this is a permanent and dedicated set up now. The extension cable is long enough to allow me to attach and detach the case to/from the sled easily so that I can charge the Mobius and install/remove the memory card.

My next set-up will use the Mobius Mini and I will use the 4 mounting threads on the bottom to mount it to an angled plate inside the BT.

I know this thread is old, but is there a chance this extension cable works for the mobius mini?
No. The case is zip tied to the back side of the 3D printed sled. The two screw holes in the case line up with two screws protruding from the front side of the sled. So the protruding screws slip inside the two holes in the case and that keeps the case from sliding around. This is all just a coincidence. Pictures would explain much better, and I will try to post some tonight as I assemble the e-bay for MWP. I made a mounting bracket and epoxied the the lens module to it. The bracket is then epoxied to the inside of the coupler. So this is a permanent and dedicated set up now. The extension cable is long enough to allow me to attach and detach the case to/from the sled easily so that I can charge the Mobius and install/remove the memory card.

My next set-up will use the Mobius Mini and I will use the 4 mounting threads on the bottom to mount it to an angled plate inside the BT.

Back