MMX Skywriting - Beyond the Bic PenRoc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Many a Pic pen has soared into the sky over the last year or so powered by your mighty MM-1 1/8A and now the MM-1 #5563 1/4A micro-maxx 6mm motors. I just Love em!

In a month or so our club is holding a specail "Sky-writing" Theme sport launch. WE are to bring and fly any type of writing/drawing or marking impliments. Most of us have or have seen the "crayon" banks flying on everything for C6 to K motors, Estes has recently re-released the Pencil, finally Art Applewhite began the Micro writers with the good old Bic pen, Well, I have gone the next step with the Micro Maxx collecton with a full scale pencil:D The penci is .281in dia. model and today i've finished a set of 4 full scale .281" dia x 3.625" long crayons. See what a weeks worth of fowl weather will do:) I haven't had a chance to fly them due to the lousy weather but they should scream. here's a very condensed jpag of the one page plan, pics of the birds will follow in a day or two.
please excuse the pour jpeg quality I had to reduce the res to 55dpi to get it under the limit:( much better res. can be found on the micromaxrockets yahoo group. Here's hoping we'll spar a few new idea's:D

I forget where I once saw a project for launching a full set of HPR crayon rockets from a crayon box. Maybe it was John Coker? Sounds more like the Vatsaas Brothers though.

Anyway, I'm thinking that would be a great launch for your MMX crayons. Shoot 'em right out of a box!

Kermie! what a great idea!! I was thinking of storeing them in a flip top crayon box but, but to launch them from it Humm... I Like it!!!
I think i'll make 2 more for an even 1/2 doz. different colors, change the fins to 4 smaller then on the models now and make the same fllip top box as the launcher, maybe rig it to launch all 6 at one time. that should keep me busy for awhile:D
Thanks Kermie!

Kermie:
The wife talked me into making the 8pk. here's the models 7 without fins yet. thats 28 more fins man give me a break! Box is in the works and the Stroage box/launcher in on the board. I have a small (on pun intended) contact electrical problem that has to be resolved but it actually looks do-able. More to follow soon.
Oh! the silver crayon under the stand is a real crayon:)

thats so cool. launch them out og a box....make a big crayon drag race

Man, I can't wait to see how this turns out! Make sure you get pics or vid of the launch!

With a slight break in the Weather, I had a chance to go out and fly my MMX Crayon, and add .4g of nose weight to correct a bit of instability after burnout. Other then the little wobble a the top of the flight I was very pleased with the tiny 4 fin configuration.

I also finished the Storage Box, for the 8pk. This proves the sizes needed and the spacing for the Launcher box which is on the board for next week. The launcher box will likely be an additional 1/2" higher then the pictured storage box to allow venting of the motors.. I luv it when a plan comes together:D

Back