MMX Nose Cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kullas

Reaction score
Just looking around I know that you can order NC's but im looking for idesas on making some of my own. Ether ideas on turning these small things or ideas on using other things. Any help?
Im wanting to make some NC's for my new payloaders

Earlier this week I saw a baby carrot stick which was about the right size and shape...and wondered if it would work for this very purpose. I left it out and it shriveled all up. It would not work.

Glue a 1/4" or 1/8" wood dowel into a piece of scrap balsa and chuck it into either a drill or motor tool. sand to shape with sandpaper or emery boards.

Done!

I've got a box of stuff I saved for just that purpose. Pen caps, broken pens, syringe caps (don't ask), etc. Just live your life and watch for smallish pointy shaped things. People will think you're odd, but if you're like me, they already think that so it's no big deal... ;)

I've got a box of stuff I saved for just that purpose. Pen caps, broken pens, syringe caps (don't ask), etc. Just live your life and watch for smallish pointy shaped things. People will think you're odd, but if you're like me, they already think that so it's no big deal... ;)
Yup - for example, with a little bit of sanding/scraping, a Bic Crystal pen cap will make a decent canopy-style nose cone! :D

The semi-frosted bodies of Bic Stic Grip pens can be used for payload sections. The rubber Grip can be used for trim.

MarkII

I have a square block of balsa that is about an inch thick. I sharpened a piece of brass tubing larger in diameter than the MMX tubing. Punch out a cylinder of balsa, push it out of the tubing, use an emery board to sand a shoulder, then place the balsa in an MMX body tube, and shape with the emery board. Some fine sandpaper and you get a usable nose cone.

Or you can purchase them from some of our friendly manufacturers.
After all they support us.

Chas

Lots of odds and ends as several have mentioned, Pen tops, small bottle caps many dollar store little plastic "thingies".
but I have to say: If your not going to order some of Fliskits supurb balsa nosecones. I'd say turning your own from 3/8" square Basswood produces the fines, easiest to turn cones. Balsa is a bear to turn down that small, but can be done with sanding blocks rather then cutters. and while 5/16" hardwood dowels do turn out OK they take a lot longer to make then starting from a square of Basswood.

22lb Sign foam also makes decent micro nosecones.
Sometime blue or Pink SM close cell styrofoam can be turning using sanding blocks and files but they must be either tissued or glassed to stand up to handling and landings:)

T4 and T5 size cones we can go back to balsa if you wish:)

Last edited:
Glue a 1/4" or 1/8" wood dowel into a piece of scrap balsa and chuck it into either a drill or motor tool. sand to shape with sandpaper or emery boards.

Done!
This is the route i went. I was in need of some NC's in 2.5 size and this is what i came up with. Thanks for the inputs

Photon Probe 001.jpg

I use a piece of bamboo skewer or, with really small nosecones, a toothpick. I get a piece of square balsa stock and score a straight line from corner to corner. Then I drill a small hole where the lines intersect and insert my skewer or toothpick. I chuck it in my Dremel and run it at the lowest speed. I shape the cone with emery boards. Then I score where I want the shoulder to start with an Xacto knife. I then shape the shoulder with the emery board. Sand a little....check fit.....sand a little......check fit.....etc.

Patience is the key.

:2:

Back