MMX measurments?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the motor is going to be ejected, then you just need to put a tiny bit of tape in it, if you even need that, to get the motor to stay in the mount until it is ignited. Thrust will then keep it there until the ejection charge pops it out like any other motor in the Mosquito.

For an MMX Mosquito, I build a clone of a regular Mosquito (or build one from the Estes kit, if you have it). For the mount, I use either FlisKits EMK 6-5 or else build my own out of two CRF 2.5-6 centering rings, a BT 2.5-0112 motor tube (or a 1.125" section of BT-2.5, and then either an EB 2.5 engine block, or else I just block off the tube just ahead of the motor far enough forward that when I insert the motor, 1/16" to 1/8" of it extends out of the back of the tube. I do not leave the forward end of the tube open, in either case. Then I assemble the mount and glue it into the Mosquito. I use either one of FlisKits' micro launch lugs or else a section from a plastic coffee stirrer as a launch lug. I could also use a standard launch lug, as called for in the Mosquito's plans, but that would add weight and drag.

The MicromaxxII motor will boost a standard Mosquito to something like 120 to 170 feet, which is plenty for that little guy. If I was feeling adventurous I might try downscaling a Mosquito to BT-4 size (0.448" OD), but no smaller than that. At that size, it might go as high as 200 feet. You could even try downscaling it all the way to minimum diameter (BT-2.5), in which case it would be 2.025" tall with a fin span of 1.3" :shock: ), but good luck finding it again once you launch it. ;)

The FlisKits Big Honkin' Rocket (or BHR, pronounced "bear") is a minimum-diameter Micro To The Maxx kit that is similar in concept to the Estes Mosquito, 220 Swift, Centuri Two-Bitz, etc. but has its own unique shape and is slightly longer than a downscaled Mosquito. Because of the greater than average potential for loss, the kit includes parts to make three BHR's. So if you lose one, you're covered. But if you decide to drag-race them (and really, who wouldn't be so tempted?), then you are on your own. :D

MarkII

Hey Jim! Has anyone ever suggested doing a huge mass launch of BHR's?

If not, then I just did! :D

MarkII

Okay, so if I am making rear ejection mosquito, do i need an engine block? or retention? or is it just friction fit?:confused:

To Build a Rear Ejection pod Estes Mosquito, you'll need a 1-1/2" long piece of T2+ (.281") MMX body tubing and two T2+ to BT-5 centering rings, about 30" of 50-70lb Kevlar and an 8" piece of 1/2" Teflon tape streamer.
I hollowed out just a little of the shoulder area of the BNC-5V Nose cone to create a place for most of the shockline to lay. Simply stuff the teflon tape streamer/wadding in on top and insert the motor pod fitting flush with the end of the BT-5 body. I set up the centering rings to allow 1/8" of the T2+ to extend from the back of the aft ring. Letting the foward ring rest on the NC shoulder. A piece of spent MMX motor casing makes excellent motor blocks or a 1/8" piece of T2 (.246" dia) tubing glued about 7/8" inside the T2+ motor tube that gives the motor about 1/8" overhang for external tape as well as internal friction fitting of the motors. Ya really want the spent casing to stay in the motor tube to eject the pod and drag out the shockline and streamer:)
I hand panted the pod Flour. Red to help with recovery as these little beasties fly very well. As Mark mentioned 150-170 feet is common. You'll be amazed at how much easier it is to track these vary fast moving mosquitos with a streamer out...even if it's just plain old White plumbers teflon tape;)
Edit: forgot to mention, the Kevlar shockline is double knotted and set in 5 minute epoxy drilled into the center of the BNC-5V NC. Doesn't take much, an 1/8" hole is all thats needed then stuff the kevlar into the bottom of the hole with a bamboo skewer remove the skewer and add a little more epoxy. the bluegreen metallic model below has logged more then 20 flights since 03 without any sign of kevlar fraying.

be sure to talc baby powder the heck out of both sides before the first folding/stuffing of these teflon streamers.

If you choose to build minimum diameter T2+ (.281") 3 or 4f&NC micros for featherweight, tumble or noseblow recover... be Prepared to lose them. ALL of the tiny Nano-Dots i've flown with 30 or 40 people watching, everyone's seen the liftoff. Tracked the smoke to ejection, Heard the Pow! then NOTHING! after 9 i've yet to get one back LOL!!! No-See-em on the other hand has flown 3 times and been easily tracked and recovered...go figure.

Attachments

• MM 294alp08a_Mosquito In Tower_06-16-07.JPG
    MM 294alp08a_Mosquito In Tower_06-16-07.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 46
  • MM 294alp08b_Mosquito After recovery_06-16-07.JPG
    MM 294alp08b_Mosquito After recovery_06-16-07.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Back