MMX Mars Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how cool it would look to make the "Outlander" with the 'Command module' in either gold or silver foil per the original 'Apollo' command module?
The 'CM' markings that were on the 'Apollo's would, of course, be used. What do You Folks think? Cheers!

The Sirius decals are close, a bit busier than the stock Apollo CM.

Years ago when the outlander was 1st released someone here did just that. It looked spectacular.

The last (as of now) chapter.

The Mini Mars Lander.

I got this off ebay a long time ago. It was missing some parts, Specifically the legs and wood dowels.
I went searching for some card stock today. I found some cardboard that should work. I stuck some clear
label/sticker on it to get a smooth surface.
JimZ's web site supplied the card stock patterns.

Ejmlrna.jpg

I'll put a new xacto blade in and cut them out and see it they will work.

Option B is a very heavy cardboard case, it's a bit too thick though.

Option C is sheet styrene plastic.

I have some 1/16 wood dowels coming from Amazon tomorrow, I think thats the correct size. 1/8 is used on the
"full" size ML.

I cut out the cardboard/sticker legs but they are too thin and too flimsy.

So I went with option B. It is a thick, hard cardboard phone screen protector box.

PJatvYNh.jpg

HrMYda3h.jpg

I put the legs in the die cut sheet to see how close they are.

L9EJnCsh.jpg

They look very close.

I think these will work.

Not a newbie per se but more of a Rip Van Winkle...
I recently rediscovered model rockets with my 4 year son, prior to that I built Estes rockets in the late 80s.

What are Micro Maxx motors? I had an Estes Mars Lander model that I built from the paper kit. I don’t remember ready to fly models as a kid.

Are the MXX rockets really back yard compatible? As a kid, I lived near a big farm field, so we just flew them there in the fall or early spring. Are MXX compatible with the Estes launch system?

How tall is the MXX Mars Lander in inches?

Living in suburbia, there isn’t any open fields. Already lost two rockets over 1 month due to limited open space. But there are sizable lakes. Does the Estes launch system launch rockets near zero degrees Fahrenheit?

cbwho,

welcome back!

MMX are mini rockets that use Quest Micro engines. They use a very small diameter launch rod, but are compatible with an Estes launcher. ERockets has a clipon launch rod.
They generally keep below 100ft altitude. My Mars Lander makes it to about 70 ft and generally lands within 25 ft of the pad.
The MMX lander is about 4 inches high and builds into a nice rocket. The legs are fixed.

In the late '80s Estes had a Mini-Mars Lander kit that was about 5-6 inches tall. The legs are fixed.

In the mid 2000's Estes came out with the Mini-Marz Lander, a RTF rocket that was all plastic with movable legs.
It was 5-6 inches tall.

I hope that helps.

Starting on the legs.

I glued the bottom dowel on all 4 legs.

AGtUjy1h.jpg

Then with wax paper over the instructions I slowly built the rest. I've tried 6 min epoxy and yellow glue.
I think the yellow glue works best.

3 are done so far. They will need filling and sanding, but they will work.

whjj8Skh.jpg

The big parts are all on.

4E0OMLLh.jpg

It's not my cleanest build, but it will look good on the pad I think.

Here it is with the Mini-Marz and the MMX for scale.

92uQdhLh.jpg

Back to work on the Mini-Mars Lander.

I got the nose weight and shock cord mounted in the nosecone. I used 6 min epoxy.

The last thing is the landing gear fairing covers. I glued those on today.

pmkB2E6h.jpg

MML should be ready for some primer tomorrow.

Back on the MMX theme, I made a couple of stands for my MMX Orbital Transport and Mars Lander.

ETbcFoBh.jpg

They are LITKO clear 50mm bases with clear pegs I heated and bent. They work good for the MMX rockets.
Regular rockets are too heavy for them.

They bring the tiny rockets alive!

Had a good friend downscale a 3d printed Centuri stand for Micro Maxx models.

Attachments

• 20200911_175054.jpg
    20200911_175054.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 17
Done! I gave this one the number 6.

UWk9ip7h.jpg

Fp799uSh.jpg

The Mini Mars Lander (881) has no bottom detail, just the aft centering ring. It's kind of lacking there.

I used bare metal foil for the silver hydraulic cylinders.

This completes my Mars Lander family, and calls for a family portrait!

4lywjWAh.jpg

kzs8QYRh.jpg

1DLxavmh.jpg

My original ML clone is no longer flight worthy, I might have to build another.

Done! I gave this one the number 6.

UWk9ip7h.jpg

Fp799uSh.jpg

The Mini Mars Lander (881) has no bottom detail, just the aft centering ring. It's kind of lacking there.

I used bare metal foil for the silver hydraulic cylinders.

This completes my Mars Lander family, and calls for a family portrait!

4lywjWAh.jpg

kzs8QYRh.jpg

1DLxavmh.jpg

My original ML clone is no longer flight worthy, I might have to build another.
I am simply Gobsmacked and AWESTRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN FREAKINGCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yah, but where do I go now?!

I'm not going to buy a Tango Papa upscale........................................

Oh, who am I kidding.

Oh, go ahead Mark. You KNOW that You want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe after Christmas they will have a sale on it. What I'd really like to see You do is build a human carrying Mars Lander. Just a "Small" single seater would do. LOL

Back