MMX Mars Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@mach7 @Vitruvius - Thanks! Haven't flown my MMX Mars Lander yet. @mach7 I do have a few additional photos that I took during construction, similar to what you posted of your build. I previously posted elsewhere on the forum a photo of a 3D printed Mars Lander that I built earlier this year. My dad and I built an Estes ML together in 1970 and it was one of his favorites; those good memories were the inspiration for the 3D printed version. I have two Semroc ML models unopened and I'm hoping my grandson will help me build one of them. A few months ago I purchased an Outlander on eBay, then purchased a decal sheet for it from Sirius; I haven't yet started that build but I'm looking forward to it.

@mach7 @Vitruvius - Thanks! Haven't flown my MMX Mars Lander yet. @mach7 I do have a few additional photos that I took during construction, similar to what you posted of your build. I previously posted elsewhere on the forum a photo of a 3D printed Mars Lander that I built earlier this year. My dad and I built an Estes ML together in 1970 and it was one of his favorites; those good memories were the inspiration for the 3D printed version. I have two Semroc ML models unopened and I'm hoping my grandson will help me build one of them. A few months ago I purchased an Outlander on eBay, then purchased a decal sheet for it from Sirius; I haven't yet started that build but I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks!

Are the 3D files you made up on Thingverse? If so I have them and I just set up an Enders printer. Unfortunately I'm not very tech savy and havent figured out how to print it yet.

I have 2 more Outlanders and I just ordered the Sirius decals, so I see another Outlander build in my future.
Back in the late '60s early '70s the Mars Lander was out of my reach economically and skill-wise.

Thanks!

Are the 3D files you made up on Thingverse? If so I have them and I just set up an Enders printer. Unfortunately I'm not very tech savy and havent figured out how to print it yet.

I have 2 more Outlanders and I just ordered the Sirius decals, so I see another Outlander build in my future.
Back in the late '60s early '70s the Mars Lander was out of my reach economically and skill-wise.

Yes the 3D files are from Thingiverse, with a "vintage" description. A family member has done 3D printing for me since I don't (yet) own a printer. The workmanship of this particular design allows for easy assembly / disassembly of the parts. I fabricated a 24mm motor mount for the rocket and installed springs for the landing gear that attach to the interior of the rocket as designed. Nearly all of the exterior markings are adhesive vinyl cut on my wife's Cricut machine, from a scan of a decal sheet; I went that route due to several unsuccessful attempts with waterslide decals. I hope to fly this one sometime next spring. Good luck with your new 3D printer!

3D_Mars_Lander_opened.png

Last edited:
Elegant and simple!
Nice job.
Have you weighed it? The classic should weigh under 4oz and the CG should be around the top of the descent stage.

Is it close to the same size as the original? It looks like it.

The summary at Thingiverse states 6 ounces; my model weighs 7.47 ounces. The extra weight makes sense, with the addition of landing gear springs, motor mount with engine hook, and vinyl stickers. Height is approximately 12.5 inches. The spec on the Semroc model states a length of 12.6" so yes it appears to be close to same size.

Thanks!

Be careful with the C/G. The extra weight could be an issue, the 24mm motor will help.

If memory serves me, the C/G needs to be around the top of the decent stage.
Carl at Semroc used to say that the stability of the M.L. was a dance. The lander needs to be accelerate fast enough for the leg/fins to become effective when it leaves the launch rod, but using a larger motor adds mass that moves the C/G aft.

For a stock lander a C6-3 is ideal. In light/moderate winds it accelerates the lander for the fins to be effective when it leaves the rod. The extra mass of a D or E motor help the acceleration, but hurt the C/G. I think Carl said that a longer launch rod can help.

If it was me I would use a 18mm Quest D. I think the mass is close to the Estes C.

Thanks very much for sharing your lander! It is very cool! How long did it take to print?

Mark

Thanks Mark! Good info and advice on the CG. You may have read that the nose cone has a compartment sized to accept coins, and two versions are available, one for pennies, one for quarters (or other choices for nose weight). I opted not to have the baffle printed. A baffle could always be printed at a later date. I'll try to find out the total print time. Hope you'll upload some photos if you decide to print one. There are a few Outlander links on Thingiverse, by the way.
Russell

@ mach7, Hey Mark, How well did Your "Gooney Lander " fly compared to the "MMX" and the "Outlander"? I notice that the main BT is narrower than the "MMX" body tube, but the LG seems to be the same. Thanks!

@ mach7, Hey Mark, How well did Your "Gooney Lander " fly compared to the "MMX" and the "Outlander"? I notice that the main BT is narrower than the "MMX" body tube, but the LG seems to be the same. Thanks!

It flew Nice! I've only flown it a handfull of times. The inner BT is the Baby Bertha BT-60 with the BB plastic nosecone.
The lower BT it a BT-80 with a paper transition. The legs are a spare set on Mars Lander legs I hand cut for my ML cone build. It wears extra ML decals. The legs are not movable, but one launch it came in hot with a streamer 'chute. Landed hard with no damage.

Overall I think it's the most stable of the trio. It flys best on a C6-3. It will fly on a B6-4, but the chute will open at about 10 feet! Good for windy days. I bet it would fly real nice on a Quest 18mm D!

Of them all the MMX looks to be the most stable. As you can see in the video it flys nice and straight. Years ago I flew the RTF Mini Marz Lander and I remember that flying well.

Tango Pappa is mailing me out a bunch of decals, one set is for multiple Mini Marz's. I guess I'll need to paint mine white and red now!
That brings up a question. The Classic Mini Mars Lander kit (881) was supposed to have a tanish-yellow single color with it's own decals (which I have). Should I build it in the 1980's Estes colors or the classic white/red?
Thoughts?

Last edited:
@mach 7 Mark, I'd go with what ever YOU find to be to Your liking. I painted my original with the "upper" cone with gold and a set of Revell 1/96th scale Apollo command module decals, the area immediately below the main "adapter" ( my name for it) a 3/8th " wide black band, the main body tube was done up like the Apollo service module in Silver with white 'radiators'. I did the "legs" in dayglow red-orange. The engine bell was per the Apollo service module in silver and gunmetal black. Please don't ask for pic as Dad and Mom got rid of those pictures when they sold the family upon their retirement. Come to think of it, I may well buy an MMX and redo it. Just remember, GO with what ever YOU think best, whether it is the 80's colors or white or even red. Cheers, buddy

Yah, I was thinking red and white with the old decals. Now that I have the Tango Papa decals on the way I'm thinking to do it completely classic like the MMX Lander.

Tango Pappa came though with Mini Marz Lander decals! And some others too.

ujF8oK9h.jpg

SHCtGQCh.jpg

Another coat of primer, and the 1st coat of Tamiya pure white.

sn1Wpjph.jpg

There is an area of roughness that I'll buff and get another coat of white on tomorrow.

The paint on the Mini Marz Lander has been an issue.
Getting it to stick. I've primed and painted a few times. I think I'm ok now.

Yval75ph.jpg

I found a nice place to display the OT and ML

UsQ3yZ2h.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got the TP decals on the RTF Mini-Marz Lander.

ytYeQkBh.jpg

The paint was a real bear, I primed, twice, and a few coats of white and red on the legs. The paint does not want to stick well. The MML appears to be ABS plastic. The Tamiya primer and Auto body primer seemed to be sticking well, but there are places where it's peeling. Not bad.

I usually wash plastic with soap and water before painting, because I was afraid that it the MML would not dry well, with all its small openings, I just wiped it with alcohol. It seemed clean, but that could be the issue.

The TP decals have one anomaly, but I kind of like the how they look. I might fix it tomorrow, or just flat coat it.

After I flat coat it I'll finish the detail painting.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the Atomic City/MRC 1/12 Mercury. A very nice kit that I detailed a bit. I bet it would make a nice PMC flying rocket.

Back