MMX Mars Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach7

Reaction score
The Orbital Transport was so much fun, I broke out the Mars Lander.

I have every version of the Mars Lander, so this is a natural.

a0ZxQI2h.jpg

nkvGRfph.jpg

Many quality parts!

The Motor mount is typical.
To make the rocket nozzle 3 concentric rings are glued to the end and then sanded into a cone shape. An interesting way to achieve a nozzle.
The back plate needs to be beveled also. A laser scribed ring is used as a guild.
This is glued to the nozzle and the aft centering ring is glued to that. The shock cord is tied to the motor tube and passed through the forward CR.
The jig has a nice spacing guild to position the forward CR. A nice, clean design.

OFmtdJIh.jpg

The landing legs are a work of art! And VERY nerve-wracking to cut out. The struts are very thin! The balsa is dense and high quality.

I had to read the instructions 3 times on the leg jig. It's simple, but its a different way to attach the legs. As expected it worked very well.

V2VFJCMh.jpg

SrmRjA5h.jpg

Things are drying now.

It would be like the old days!

I'm looking forward to using them on a full sized build.

A bit more progress. The legs are on, the leg housings are on, and the leg support.

As expected the fit perfect on everything.

8UgS9k2h.jpg

I got a coat of primer on the top. The print quality is outstanding!

The dry stack:

nlJK65Xh.jpg

And next to its big brother:

gjGt1J3h.jpg

It's very old, Kind of like me....

The M.L. is done!

Dg3doZkh.jpg

iPoEIklh.jpg

7gzHU14h.jpg

I decided to depart from the classic paint scheme and go with a Lunar Module like gold on the lower engine.

dA5GYflh.jpg

Thanks!
I wanted something slightly different but still classic. I should have sealed it before I glued it on, but I waited and could not get it smooth. I thought the gold would look like the gold thermal foil used on the LEM.
I think it looks good.

On very minor suggestion with the kit. The footpads are 2 balsa discs glued together. If it had one balsa disc with 2 paper discs it would be a bit more true to the original kit.

Like the OT the engineering on this kit is outstanding! Very well done! I thoroughly enjoyed the build.

The original ML colors suit it well.
Years ago, when the Outlander first came out, someone built it in the LEM colors. That was very nice also.

4 launches today for the Mars Lander!

All perfect flights, 3 that planted the landing.

Axp1xChh.jpg

k7AUfVSh.jpg

7Zf8iBZh.jpg

7nsZQJAh.jpg

I have video from my iPhone, but it won't let me load them.

I est the altitude at about 80ft! Very true.

kitbasher, you guys did great designing this rocket! Well done!

EDIT:

I used the Quest MMX launch system. This works well with normal rockets. The ML is wider than most rockets. The offset from the rod requires a bit of bending of the ignitor. Not a problem, just be careful to not get a short.

@mach7,
VERY well done....on All of Your Mars build. I do have a question: Might I impose upon You to please post a link showing Your build for the Apollo like Lander that You show in post # 10? I build several of the original MLs and like it, but I'd rather build this other build to look like a L.M. Or is this the "Out lander" You mention in this thread? Thank You in advance!

Thanks!

It's the Estes Outlander kit.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-industries-outlander-by-chan-stevens.html
I did a build thread on it way back in 2005? There were many build threads on it back then, I cant find it now, maybe it was before the TRF crash? I don't know the etiquette on posting a link to someone else's.
I think it's an easier build than the ML, more conventional construction except that the nosecone required a bit of cutting.

It was Estes attempt to modernize the Mars Lander. It's a good kit and uses the ML legs. It fly's about the same as the ML, not really higher. I used ML decals on my build, but Sirius Rockets has a nice ML style sheet for sale. The stock decals/paint are kind of out there.

As I posted, years ago someone did one up like the LM, It was a very nice looking build.

I hope this helps.

I posted this photo over on my thread in the watering hole, but it fits here.

8Uguzboh.jpg

I found my mini Mars Lander and the RTF Mini Marz Lander!

Last edited:
I did a build thread on it way back in 2005? There were many build threads on it back then, I cant find it now, maybe it was before the TRF crash? I don't know the etiquette on posting a link to someone else's.
It is essentially never wrong in any way to link to someone else's thread, posting, anything.

It should be doable, but the BT-20 based tanks would probably need to be made out of large Launch lugs.

KItbasaher, any interest in doing a MMX Outlander?

@mach7, I admit that I dread having to buy a full size kit in order to get the instruction sheet. If I had to, I'd build it, (the full size kit) but living in a 1 bedroom retirement apartment with my BFF/Wife Lady J, 3 cats and two dogs, I'm running out of room for the large models. Does anyone know where I might find the instructions on line, please? Thanks in advance :))

@mach7, I admit that I dread having to buy a full size kit in order to get the instruction sheet. If I had to, I'd build it, (the full size kit) but living in a 1 bedroom retirement apartment with my BFF/Wife Lady J, 3 cats and two dogs, I'm running out of room for the large models. Does anyone know where I might find the instructions on line, please? Thanks in advance :))
If you are talking an Estes kit, Estes has all their instructions on their web site.

Does Estes still post the instructions online?
I just checked, they are not on JimZ's site.
I'm away from home, when I get back I'll check and see if I have a set in my stuff.
It will probably be late in the week.

Last year I enjoyed building one of several MMX Mars Lander kits I had purchased. MMX Outlander would be a great addition!

View attachment 433063
Very NICE build!

Have you flown it yet? Any more photo's?

I'm thinking of getting a few more. I think these will be classics one day.
Lots of history, looks great, flys great, not a hard build, It has it all.

Back