MMX Launch System

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKeeper

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to build some of the new MMX kits from Flis Kits, but am confused about what equiptment I need to launch them, I currently own an Estes Porta-Pad 2 and Estes Electronic Beam Controler, So can I launch MMX rockets with that set up? Thanks!

I was asking that question myself on Christmas morning when I found a Deadringer and HEMV-4 under the tree.

But, the MMX motors came with the new Quest ignitors so, except for the rockets being very tiny, everything pretty much works the same. ALso I used 1/8" LL's on my kits so they could fly from a standard launch pad.

Here is the launch thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=8302

One thing I did discover....
If you set up the ignitor first, THEN lower the rocket on to it, life is so much easier.

In the thread that Layne linked to (GREAT liftoff and flight shots BTW, Layne! :) ) Crazy Jim's post (#8) shows you a simple way to make a Micromaxx adapter for your launch pad. My one addition: glue some short sections of scrap body tube all round the bottom of the motor casing except right under the launch lug, and make them even with the bottom of the case. This will give the adapter "feet" and they will help the adapter stay put once you place it on the the pad. Otherwise, you may find yourself chasing the adapter as it rotates around the pad's launch rod as you try to hook the clips to the igniter leads.

MarkII

Thanks for all the informative posts, I think I have a grasp on how to set up and launch a MMX rocket, now it is time to order some kits!!:cyclops:

One picture is always worth a 1000's words.

easiest way to add a micro launch rod to your current Estes porta pad is with a spent 18 or 24mm motor casing, a .049" or .050" x 9" to 12" music wire "rod", a 2-1/4" x 1/8" launch lug and a little epoxy.

The one pictured below is covered with Vinyl just to finish it off but plain works just fine. Do keep the blast deflector under this slip over addition and it can be left in place while flying other size models as well:)

Once you've been completely won over to the micro Size then you'll want to create your own micro launcher. I now have my set-up that mounts on a digital camera tripod and can handle micro rods, pistions, towers, and relay for clusters.

Hope this helps.

Quick n Dirty Micro Slip-on Launch rod base-c_08-08-03.JPG

MM Twin Tower-p3_Comb 2pic 128dpi_03-10-05.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_15_Multi-Use MMX Launcher Base-n_Add-on Clip & Rod_03-31-02.jpg
    IMG_15_Multi-Use MMX Launcher Base-n_Add-on Clip & Rod_03-31-02.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Another important detail... The new Quest igniters will fire when you insert the safety key on the Estes controller.

You will need to either live with this, change the light bulb out for an LED or get a Quest 9V controller.

Just a safety note.

Another important detail... The new Quest igniters will fire when you insert the safety key on the Estes controller.

You will need to either live with this, change the light bulb out for an LED or get a Quest 9V controller.

Just a safety note.

Let's be crystal clear:

The new Quest Q2G2 igniters will fire with a standard Estes controller continuity lamp current.

The previous pyrogen covered Q2 igniters and the new MicroMaxx pyrogen-less Q2 igniters are no more sensitive than an Estes igniter and will be perfectly safe. Of course, they will require more current to fire than a Q2G2, but no more than an Estes igniter.

I like bare nicrome wire and lots of electrical power.

I've still gots lots of 30, 31 and 32 ga nichrome available. Maybe I'll list some on eBay soon.

By the way, why hasn't Micro added the Yahoo link to his signature?
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/MicroMaxRockets/

One picture is always worth a 1000's words.

easiest way to add a micro launch rod to your current Estes porta pad is with a spent 18 or 24mm motor casing, a .049" or .050" x 9" to 12" music wire "rod", a 2-1/4" x 1/8" launch lug and a little epoxy.

The one pictured below is covered with Vinyl just to finish it off but plain works just fine. Do keep the blast deflector under this slip over addition and it can be left in place while flying other size models as well:)

Once you've been completely won over to the micro Size then you'll want to create your own micro launcher. I now have my set-up that mounts on a digital camera tripod and can handle micro rods, pistions, towers, and relay for clusters.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Micromeister! One quick question, where can I find music wire locally?

Music wire can be had at any self-respecting RC airplane/buggy hobby shop, usually in a wide range of sizes going down to the diameters you need. Your local hobby shop is your best bet.

You can sometimes find music wire (usually in a more limited range of sizes) near the balsa/basswood bins at craft stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and even a few Joanns

You might find it at a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot, but I think the smallest diam I have ever found at places like that was 1/8th inch

It is NOT very good stuff, but in a pinch you might be able to make do with a thin coat-hanger wire. MMX launch rods don't have to be anywhere near as long as A-B-C-D modroc.

Last edited:
Music wire can be had at any self-respecting RC airplane/buggy hobby shop, usually in a wide range of sizes going down to the diameters you need. Your local hobby shop is your best bet.

You can sometimes find music wire (usually in a more limited range of sizes) near the balsa/basswood bins at craft stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and even a few Joanns

You might find it at a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot, but I think the smallest diam I have ever found at places like that was 1/8th inch

It is NOT very good stuff, but in a pinch you might be able to make do with a thin coat-hanger wire. MMX launch rods don't have to be anywhere near as long as A-B-C-D modroc.

Ditto what powderburner states above:

Music Wire does have it's problems... I prefer to use .049" x 12" 304 Stainless Steel pre-straightened music wire. I picked up a tube of 100 pieces from McMaster-Carr #8908K54 some time ago, currently available for about 15.00 plus UPS. I know that sounds like a lot of wire but there are all kinds of other things its good for as well.

Edit: Another Item I've found Super for Model and Micro rocketry are 1-1/8" Smooth jaw All Stainless Steel Micro Clips. I recently discovered these 304 stainless body-302 stainless spring Clips are NOW available through the NAR's on-line store "NARTS" for about a buck each. The Great news is NARTS will sell you a single pair at a time if you like rather then the 100 clip minimum order I used to have to buy directly from the manufacturer. Takes a little hotter soldering iron and a good Stainless steel flux to install, but these puppies outlast all the other micro clip offering by about 10-1:D THANK YOU NARTS!

Fred: That's a great Idea...I just never thought of adding the yahoo group to my signature line..thanks:blush:

Last edited:
John...

In the MicroMaxx pad you show, there's an odd clamp-like arrangement on the right side, with what looks like a Kevlar pad on it.

Care to describe what all there is to that thing?

-Kevin

While we're looking at Micro Maxx specialty 6pad racks.
Heres one I've recently reworked to allow it to be used with a 7th end mounted pad for larger clusters as well as permanently mounting rod holder microclip coils to the unit.
This system is 4" x 6" x 36" Alumimum with a 1x6 Poplar top just for looks. Bottom storage doors are hinged and lockable containing 22ga Stainless steel deflectors and various length 9, 12 and 16" .049" stainless steel MMX launch rods. extension clip wiring with smooth jaw Stainless steel micro clips.
7 conductor 35' 16ga copper cable and custom made bronze hand controller enclosure give it enough mass not of slide off the table.
Wired for either single model or Clustered Relay ignition this rack is not set up for group or drag racing.
Poplar top with 6" circular openings orginally held 6 Quest silo launcher bases purely for show.
Rack is center mounted on a video camera HD tripod which give the rack alt-azmuth adjustment.
First pic below is of the rack as originally built with the old silo bases altered with coiled lead microclips, and shows the cable and controller box as will.
The remaining are of the modifications to the rod holder/microclip connections and end mount for the 7th pad. This system is set up to use 12volt power.

MM 6pad Rack mods-b_Add-on Bracket 7th pad.jpg

MM 6pad Rack mods-c_Rod Lock Mt and deflector.jpg

MM 6pad Rack mods-d_Rod Lock & conn. detail.jpg

MM 6pad Rack mods-a_complete rack_03-28-06.jpg

Jkeeper:
One more note.

Your Micro Maxx Launcher doesn't have to be limited to totally utilitarian looking pads and racks.

With micros it's a lot easier to build them into Theme or diorama like landscape scenes.
Below is one of my favorites;) somewhere in TRF-1 lpr forum is the entire build thread for this launcher and a standard size as well.

Let your imagination help as you decide what your micro launch pad will end up doing as its serving.

MM 234b2a-sm_Der Red Max b&c  Launcher _05-29-04.jpg

MM 234b5a05_MM DerRedMax sum-camo on pad(128dpi)_07-15-06.jpg

MM 234c-LP15a_Hookin her UP_11-16-08.jpg

MM 234c-Lp15b2_Winter Camo DRM ready for flight_11-16-08.jpg

Last edited:
John...

In the MicroMaxx pad you show, there's an odd clamp-like arrangement on the right side, with what looks like a Kevlar pad on it.

Care to describe what all there is to that thing?

-Kevin

Here are a couple more pics of this launcher...I call it my Everyday launcher as it's used for everything micro now.

If I'm understanding what your asking about its nothing more then an add-on mounting bracket. A small 1" piece of 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/4" aluminum angle that's been drilled and tapped for a 8-32 Brass thumb "setscrew" that passes through the 1/8" and 3/16" vertical holes. Another 3/16" hole in be bottom leg allows this bracket to be attached to the launcher base in several positions to accomadate different "Add-on" equipment such as teather rods, various pistons, towers etc. It can also be used to anchor cameras, relays and other junk.
Since this side of the launcher wasn't originally intended to get direct exhaust I added a nomex shield that has saved a lot of crud buildup in the area. If you look closely at the base of the piston and tower pics below you should be able to see this bracket attached to the base.

Multi-Use MMX launcher Base-h_Wingnuts clipWires_03-31-02.JPG

Multi-Use MMX Launcher Base-k_Addon Clip rear_03-31-02.JPG

Multi-Use MMX Launcher Base-o_on 10segment Tripod_03-31-02.JPG

Multi-Use MMX Launcher Base-p1_Base &  Piston_03-31-02.JPG

Multi-Use MMX Launcher Base-q2_2 ring Tower_03-31-02.JPG

Last edited:
Since I finally put all the Launcher base photos together into 3 pages this seems like a good spot to post them. If anyone needs to see an individual pic closer or in higher res let me know.
My original intent with this launcher base was to use it thumbscrew attached to the open ends of any of the clubs Rack launchers. It can still be used in this way or added to my micro 6pad rack as well. The addition of the 10 segment legged digital camera tripod makes the combination so light weight and compact to store it's permanently housed in my micro maxx everything box along with about 100 models:) Adding a Quest pistol grip contoller rigged to use a 12volt Gel cell (also in the box) completes the system allowing the launch of any possible Micro combination I might come up with on the field at a moments notice.

Eq03b-b1_Std MMX Launcher Const. 8pic Pg1of3_03-31-02.jpg

Eq03b-b2_Std MMX Launcher Const. 6pic Pg2of3_03-31-02.jpg

Eq03b-b3_Std MMX Launcher Const. 4pic Pg3of3_03-31-02.jpg

Quest Pgrip-4-sm_3pic pg_10-04-08.JPG

What is that MM book in the 5th photo? Thx.

Bill

Bill:
The MM book is just printed copies in a binder of my Micro Maxx Model one page Plans & Drawings.
I believe there are about 140 some different micro model drawing available from my folder "McCoys Micro Maxx Plans" over on the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group files section. All available in Pdf format for easy download. Sorta like this one. Some of the older ones don't have as many details but would allow just about anyone to build the model from each plan:)

MM 275b_SpaceShip1 Burt Rutan 109,055_10-05-04.jpg

Back