MMX Harpoon AGM-84A

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

I started another project today, after putting the final touches on the DW and finishing the paint on the Amraam and on the MMX Maverick.

I started another Scale MicroMaxx rocket; the Harpoon AGM-84A! It uses the same BT as the Maverick, but I deviated from the design a bit. CR's were made from a bored out 7/16" wood dowel and the lower CR was also carved out as a boattail. Assembly should start tomorrow and I can't wait to get it going.

Here are some pics so far:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?dir=mmxharp

Carl

I did a bit more work on the Harpoon. The motor mount tube and body tube were sanded to remove the glassine layer, then I used epoxy to glue the forward and rear CR's to the Motor Mount. Each CR is flush with the end of the tube. A piece of Coupler tube was used as a Motor Stop and some Kevlar thread was tied to the coupler, then it was inserted into the motor mount from the bottom and positioned to the correct depth using a motor. A drop of thin CyA from the top of the mmt tube held it in place.

Next, I sanded, marked and slotted the Body Tube for the fins. This was the tricky part; I planned on using 3 different glues to install the motor mount and fins, all at one time. Epoxy was mixed and applied to each fin area on the motor mount tube where the Thru-the-Wall fins would mount. It was set down and some Alphetic Resin (yellow wood glue) was inserted into the body tube in the forward CR ring position using a small wood dowel. the motor mount was quickly inserted into place and thin CyA was used to tack the tailcone/CR to the bottom lip of the body tube. this was done as the tube was slotted all the way to the end and I didn't want it to seperate while inserting the lower fins. Finally, all eight fins were installed before the Epoxy had a chance to set. Once finished, the tube was left in an upright position so the Alphetic Resin could run down and completely coat the forward CR and form a fillet.

As is, the model is ready for fillets and primer, which should be done tonite.

More Pics: https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=mmxharp/mh07.jpg

Carl

Through the wall fins on an MMX?

Carl.... have you been sniffing glue again?

Well you know Ken, the G's at launch placed on these MMX's is pretty incredible. ;) You don't want them shearing off.

Yea, what Milo said!!! :D

That is also one of the reasons I need to use G-10 for fins, yea, that's it.....the other reason is it looks scale in thickness.

Carl

Hmmmm...just thought of three or four more scale MMX Missiles I can build...YEE HAA! :)

Originally posted by CTulanko
Yea, what Milo said!!! :D

That is also one of the reasons I need to use G-10 for fins, yea, that's it.....the other reason is it looks scale in thickness.

Carl

Hmmmm...just thought of three or four more scale MMX Missiles I can build...YEE HAA! :)

You're nuts! I have to admit, I never thought I'd see you reach this far to the other spectrum of rocketry.

Great job on the mini-missiles! When are you going to report on the flights? :)

Just thought I would post a report and some final pics...The MicroMaxx Harpoon AGM-84 did fly and flew well! I got four good flights, stability was great and with a MMX-2 motor, it achieved about 55-60 feet, but hit it fast.

I re-painted the Harpoon and spent much time this week finishing the decals, which took some time. The forward decal is a wrap around, while the rear is applied in strips. Decal details were taken from my 4" 1/3 scale Harpoon and are an exact miniature of the 4" version. Some pics were taken and just posted, along with a decal sheet pic. Other flight pics can be found in the events forum. Finally, the entire rocket was coated with Future once finished.

Here are the pics: https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?dir=mmxharp/&startpic=10

Enjoy,

Carl

Carl...
I tend to believe that smaller rockets are more of a challenge to build than the big ones.
Sir...you are the master! ;)

Really slick, Carl, I guess I'll have to put the decals on my MMX Nike Hercules before Whitaker too.

Like I don't have enough to do!

Nothing like a deadline to get me to work harder.

sandman

Back