MMX B/G and R/G

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amsterdam

Reaction score
Show em off!

I’ve purchased two kits both from J&H aerospace, just finished the Aleda-R

ARvxgWa.jpg

waiting on my engines to come in from Quest.

Anyone know what kind of altitude to expect? Doesn’t weigh much, it’s all 1/16, and 1/32 balsa. I’m guessing 50-60 feet, then again these will be my first mmx flights.

I have a number of Micro Down-Scale Boost Gliders and Rocket Gliders as well as a couple Micro parasite Gliders. Still haven't completed two or three, that I really want to down-scale (Micro Mach-10, Space Plane and NightHawk). Drawings are done just haven't felt much like building lately.

The Liftoff mass will determine the altitude, Looking at the size in your hand 60-75 feet is likely to be pretty close. Be sure you have at least one extra pair of eyes watching your booster pod. I've can't tell you how many pods I've had to replace flying without someone watching the pod come down.... even with a very long 3/8" flourescent red streamer.

Micro Gliders are fun, and extremely interesting to watch in a very light breeze, Don't attempt to launch Micro Gliders in much more then 10mph breezes or you will be loosing most of them that transition into a decent glide.
Most of the McCoy's Micro Wonder Works down-Scale BG and RG glider drawings are available free in the files section over on the Micro-Max Yahoo group site. I guess now that Fliskits has closed it's doors I'll have to scan and post his couple gliders as well.

Attachments

• 212a1-sm_MM Delti-BG-Glider_11-12-99.jpg
    212a1-sm_MM Delti-BG-Glider_11-12-99.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 220a1-sm_MM OrbitalTransport_11-12-99.jpg
    220a1-sm_MM OrbitalTransport_11-12-99.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 227a-sm_MM Ivee (Edmonds) BG_08-11-00.jpg
    227a-sm_MM Ivee (Edmonds) BG_08-11-00.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 240a2-sm_MM T4 SkyDart & T4 Booster_09-07-06.jpg
    240a2-sm_MM T4 SkyDart & T4 Booster_09-07-06.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 289a-sm_MM Micro Flyin Jenny_12-11-03.jpg
    289a-sm_MM Micro Flyin Jenny_12-11-03.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 295a3-sm_MM Bumble Flee 2pic_08-16-04.jpg
    295a3-sm_MM Bumble Flee 2pic_08-16-04.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 299a-sm_MM Scissor Wing Transport 3pic_11-21-04.jpg
    299a-sm_MM Scissor Wing Transport 3pic_11-21-04.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 313p1a-sm_MM Falcon BG Model & motor streamer_08-27-05.jpg
    313p1a-sm_MM Falcon BG Model & motor streamer_08-27-05.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 318p10-sm_MM Lunar Patrol 2-Glider (115dpi)_07-29-06.jpg
    318p10-sm_MM Lunar Patrol 2-Glider (115dpi)_07-29-06.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 365p01_MM 3's A Charm (Flis 3 glider Micro AirShow)_03-30-10.jpg
    365p01_MM 3's A Charm (Flis 3 glider Micro AirShow)_03-30-10.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 191
Thanks for the advice John,

I’ve seen that bumble bee photo before, always wondered what was gained by hanging the glider so far from the pod. I’m guessing it got tangled up a few too many times at separation?

I’ll most likely be trying a mmx Raven from Estes monthly news

I’ve had very entertaining flights with mine, it’s fitted with a bt-5 for Estes mini engines, and all 1/16th balsa. It’s the only glider I have that flies well enough to be satisfying but not so well that id lose it.

I flew the two gliders a bunch sometime in December. They are a ton of fun, the windlance’s 5th and final flight was unexpected for such a low flying glider, it flew away..

Which was really awesome to watch actually, it started to turn right like it’s trimmed to, but then straightened out and started flying up, like it caught an escalator. I was following on foot and lost sight of it over a thick chunk of woods.

Anyways i still had the boost pod so I went to print out my scan of the laser cut parts and realized I scanned the Aleda twice, now I have two!

XeIxLOp.jpg

Finished it with tissue.

Love the tissue jobs! Great colors!

Thanks! I used UHU glue stick to stick them on, I may end up sealing them. Gonna try aerogloss, or spar varnish. I have no idea how they’ll react with the glue though, so I might leave them as is.

Oh wow. Just now seeing this. Beautiful builds!

They fly beautifully. Going to pick up another windlance and a flip flop soon. After those I should be familiar enough with micro builds to try some scratch designs.

Very nice gliders and you have great craftsmanship skills. And thanks to your report I now know of yet another manufacturer of well designed gliders.

J&H aerospace sells the best performing rocket and boost gliders i have bought. often times I get mixed results from larger retailers although I can’t speak for every model.

I own 4 of Josh‘s designs all have been fantastic. I would recommend checking out his YouTube channel as well it’s a mix of rocket gliders, rubber planes, rc, and freeflight. Here’s the link

Interesting tidbit: did you know the Windlance is the Aleda, only in reverse? Same with the big windlance and the red shift.

Interesting tidbit: did you know the Windlance is the Aleda, only in reverse? Same with the big windlance and the red shift.

Bingo.

Speaking of which I'm flying a Windlance D today as soon as the rain takes a pause here at GRITS 2020. Oh look it just stopped!

Rudders are unfortunately different. The Windlance needs almost double the vertical tail area because the CG is less than half the distance to the vertical's centroid as on the Aleda.

One of these days I'm going to get off my butt and make a heli. Supposedly I know a thing or two about rotorcraft, or so the AMA paperwork claims. I know much more about procrastination though!

Hey here's an idea: y'all figure out how to get my Micromaxx flex wing to eject correctly, and I'll make a heli.

Rudders are unfortunately different. The Windlance needs almost double the vertical tail area because the CG is less than half the distance to the vertical's centroid as on the Aleda.

One of these days I'm going to get off my butt and make a heli. Supposedly I know a thing or two about rotorcraft, or so the AMA paperwork claims. I know much more about procrastination though!

Hey here's an idea: y'all figure out how to get my Micromaxx flex wing to eject correctly, and I'll make a heli.
YES! on the heli.
On the micromaxx flexi, use a balsa or foam piston to eject it. (Don't know what your setup is right now on your flexi, could you describe and/or post pics)?

PM if you cant post! or even a link if you have it up elsewhere on the web.

Rktman's piston idea is nice.
This example might not apply to MMX but below is a nice light weight piston/plug technique. they're using built up sheet instead of a solid plug

1607712221951.png

Back