MMMSC Launch 15 April 2017 - The Season Begins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Mar 6, 2010
Reaction score
Amesbury, MA
Our first launch of the season is scheduled for 15 April 2017 at the Harvard Turf Farm (formerly Tuckahoe Turf Farm) in Berwick, Maine. Set up will start about 9:30 and we'll be flying as soon as everything is ready to go. The plan is to fly until 4 PM. The sun will be as strong as it would be at the end of August so break out the hats, shades and sunscreen.

What are you planning on flying?

Robert and Gloria will be there covering all your AMWProX needs. Gloria will handle the food service and has mentioned there will be some new AMW rocket kits available; be sure to stop by the trailer and see what they have. If you're looking for anything in particular, check with them ahead of time. Remember to bring your 38 mm CTI reloads so Robert can check your delay grain holder. If it's from the bad batch, he'll replace it at no charge to you. Whether you are going to fly them that day or not, bring them along so they can be inspected and, if necessary, replaced.

If you're going for your Level 1 or Level 2 certification, please let us know ahead of time and have all of your paperwork ready along with your NAR card to show your active status. If you've recently joined or certified at a level but don't have your updated card yet, bring your temporary card and/or a print out from the national website to show you are allowed to fly the level you'd like to fly. If you're going for your Level 3 certification, you should know enough to have all your ducks in a row well before you get to the field. As usual, no sparky motor are allowed at our regular launches.

If you're going to need the 1515 rail, give us a heads-up about that, too; if we don't have to lay out the extra cord and equipment, we can save lots of time at both ends of the launch. Jim Moe's new pad design worked wonderfully at last year's launches and promises to be a stable platform for the increasing numbers of bigger rockets we're seeing.

And as another reminder, NAR now requires electronic recovery deployment for any CTI Vmax motors. This will be an ongoing restriction until CTI can define and correct the matter.

Keep an eye on this thread, the club website and Facebook page to see if there will be any issues with the weather.
I plan to be there! I think I'm going to send up my Dark Star Jr. for the second time on an I245G or maybe an I200W. I also have a 3" tube fin rocket that needs to be ground tested. If I can get through that and still have enough time, I will fly that rocket on either an I405LW or a J350W. Either way, it should be a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to returning to Berwick for the first time in about 4 months.
Last edited:
Wish I could be there! A couple of us RIMRA guys are going to come up later this year for L2 cert flights.
The wind predictions are not too bad at the surface but quickly pick up as you gain altitude. If you're going to fly high, do it early; the winds aloft may not get worse later in the day but you'll have more time to retrieve your rocket after it goes out of sight.