MMMSC Launch 03 December 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We have a launch scheduled for 03 December 2016 at the Harvard Turf Farm (formerly Tuckahoe Turf Farm) in Berwick, Maine. Set up will start about 9:30 and we'll be flying as soon as everything is ready to go. The plan is to fly until 4 PM but tolerance to the weather may shut us down earlier.

What are you planning on flying?

Robert and Gloria will be there covering all your AMWProX needs. If you're looking for anything in particular, check with them ahead of time. Remember to bring your 38 mm CTI reloads so Robert can check your delay grain holder. If it's from the bad batch, he'll replace it at no charge to you. Whether you are going to fly them that day or not, bring them along so they can be inspected and, if necessary, replaced.

If you're going for your Level 1 or Level 2 certification, please let us know ahead of time and have all of your paperwork ready along with your NAR card to show your active status. If you've recently joined or certified at a level but don't have your updated card yet, bring your temporary card and/or a print out from the national website to show you are allowed to fly the level you'd like to fly. If you're going for your Level 3 certification, you should know enough to have all your ducks in a row well before you get to the field.

If you're going to need the 1515 rail, give us a heads-up about that, too; if we don't have to lay out the extra cord and equipment, we can save lots of time at both ends of the launch. Jim Moe's new pad design worked wonderfully at recent launches and promises to be a stable platform for the increasing numbers of bigger rockets we're seeing.

And as another reminder, NAR now requires electronic recovery deployment for any CTI Vmax motors. This will be an ongoing restriction until CTI can define and correct the matter.

Check the Windyty link from the club website. If you're going to fly high (or even low) check the predicted wind conditions at altitudes and adjust your simulations to get a better idea of what motor you should be flying. The mobile app for Windyty is now available for Apple devices as well as Android devices so you can check conditions in real time at the launch.

Keep an eye on this thread, the club website and Facebook page to see if there will be any issues with the weather.

I have 3 more (to add to the one already built and in the trailer) thru the relay continuity check relay boxes built and tested ready for this launch. Just need to make sure I have all the cable adapters and/or cables ready to hook them all up!

Hoping to try for L2. I'll do a shakedown flight first. If all goes well, it should be a fun ride to 5000' on a J600.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to try for L2 as well if the winds stay down. Little John on a J400 to between 2600 and 2900 feet depending on the simulator. Before the cert flight I'll fly it on an I470 to 2k feet or so. I'm told there should be L2 folks in attendance who can sign off on the cert, but if anyone wants to volunteer for it ahead of time let me know :)

I'll probably also get some Initiator flights in on F and/or G loads, tbd which ones.

What's the policy on sparkies for this launch? I just received a Loki I316, and I think it would make for an awesome shakedown flight for my Terrordactyl.

Last edited:
Never mind. I just saw on Facebook that sparkies are allowed this weekend. Should be fun!

I'll be there! I can't believe I only made it to five launches this year. I have to plan better for next season. I hope to fly all the stuff I have built but haven't launched yet, and get some second flights in on those that have only flown once.

See you guys there!

Sparkies will be allowed for this launch. Make sure the pad you're using has a blast deflector on it. You can see what happens to the blankets under the pad without the deflectors.

Gloria will be serving chili or soup along with hot dogs and burgers.

Oooooof gonna be windy. I'm still planning to fly at the current predicted wind speeds - the numbers suggest my J flight will land in bounds. I'll fly on an I first to validate my drift assumptions/math, and I'll have a tracker on board....

I just installed an angle measure on my phone. If other folks want to do the same we can collectively learn from each other's launch rod angles and flights. My Android just died so I'm using an old iphone, but it looks like Angle Pro on iphone may work well (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/angle-pro/id750327028?mt=8). On Android I think I had downloaded Bubble Level (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bz.ktk.bubble)

I'm getting nervous about a flight to 5000. I've got a tracker too, but I really don't want to put this thing in a tree.

I'm getting nervous about a flight to 5000. I've got a tracker too, but I really don't want to put this thing in a tree.

Ive got a chute release you can borrow after my cert flight if it helps.

What freq is your tracking on? I have an egg finder on what I think is the stock 915

I should have used my chute release!!! It would have been more reliable than my electronics.

Great flight! Congrats on the certification.

Thanks to all who dared fly their rockets in today's conditions; it made the cool temps more bearable.
Congratulations to those who made new cert levels and condolences to those who didn't quite have optimal flights.

See you in the spring.

Turns out my electronics had trouble too but I survived it :) I had a pressure leak into my av bay.

I was sorry to see your hard landing, those fins are pretty cool. Repaired yet?

And yeah I'm really happy about the cert. Now I can just build and fly and not stress about it! I hope I'm around to see your 6k l2 attempt!! My little John needs a k to go thathigh

Oh sorry I wasn't more talkative on the field, I was pretty focused on the cert flight. I'm normally pretty chatty lol

Last edited:
Back