MMMSC/CMASS Joint Launch 07 July 2018 Launch in Berwick, Maine

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
With the cancellations due to weather and the loss of the Acton field, we're going to have more opportunities to visit our neighbors. In lieu of the original schedules, we'll have a joint launch on the 7th of July and Maine will have another launch on the 21st instead of the original 14 July launch.

I'll post more on this launch and a separate thread for the 21st.

Between our loss of the Acton field and spotty weather conditions, the schedule for club launches in New England is getting pushed around pretty hard this year. In an effort to give us a chance to get some flying in, we’ve scheduled a joint launch with MMMSC in Berwick on 07 July. MMMSC will move their launch scheduled for the week after that to 21 July so there can be a little break to recover and repair from the joint launch.

The Central Massachusetts Spacemodeling Society and the Maine Missile Math and Science Club will be holding a joint launch at the MMMSC field in Berwick, Maine on 07 July 2018. This is a chance to fly to new heights and meet some new people. As is the policy for both clubs, if you are planning on flying any HPR, bring your current NAR/TRA card confirming your membership and showing your certification level. If you've recently joined or certified at a level but don't have your updated card yet, bring your temporary card and/or a print out from the national website to show you are allowed to fly the level you'd like to fly. If you're going for your Level 3 certification, you should know enough to have all your ducks in a row well before you get to the field. As usual, no sparky motor are allowed at regular launches in Berwick.

Jim Flis will be there with his fine line of products. If you need any specific kits or components from Jim, contact him ahead of time and he'll be happy to bring it to the field. With the announcement that Jim will be closing down his company at the end of the year, make sure you buy the kits you want and/or need before he starts to run low on stock.

Robert and Gloria will be there for all your AMWProX needs. If you're looking for anything in particular, check with them ahead of time. Remember to bring your 38 mm CTI reloads so they can check your delay grain holder. If it's from the bad batch, they'll replace it at no charge to you. Whether you are going to fly them that day or not, bring them along so they can be inspected and, if necessary, replaced. Gloria will be taking care of the food service so be prepared to eat well.

We'll be using the CMASS circle set up for low- and mid-power flights with ample high-power pads set up from both clubs that there shouldn't be too much of wait to use one. Set up will begin about 9:30 in the morning with flying beginning when we're ready to go. We're scheduled to fly until 4 PM so please don't save a half-dozen Level 2 certification attempts until 3:30. Weather and field conditions will dictate where we set up and how high/long we'll be able to fly. Check here and at the clubs' websites/Facebook pages to see if anything changes. The new owner of the farm has more restrictive parking rules than we've had in Berwick before. The MMMSC launch on 05 May went well as we were able to park and set up near an area that is used by the farm equipment. There's no guarantee that space will be available or convenient for this launch. We used the same space for the next MMMSC launch but with different wind conditions; a few rockets ended up in the trees

Let us know what you'll be flying. We love to have a heads-up on anything really large or unusual. And as another reminder, NAR now requires electronic recovery deployment for any CTI Vmax motors. This will be an ongoing restriction until CTI can define and correct the matter. If your rocket has passive recovery (i.e., a saucer) you can fly Vmax motors without electronics.

For those of a mind to attend, there will be the usual "post-launch debriefing" at the Thistle Pig in South Berwick. Their menu is updated depending on what's locally available so check close to the launch to see what may be on it then. [EDIT, while I can] Just saw on Facebook that the Thistle Pig will be closed for a little over a week around that weekend. We can explore some other spot that day.

Keep an eye on this thread, the club websites (linked above) and Facebook page to see if there will be any issues with the weather.

Last edited:
I won't make it to this launch, but we're planning on coming up soon. I think we're pretty close to getting a car, and yesterday my wife said to me, "We should try to go to a launch soon."

That's right - Mrs. N00b suggested we go to a launch!

I'm tentatively in, if th weather looks good. If I come one of my flights will be a k from the 1515 rail.

I won't make it to this launch, but we're planning on coming up soon. I think we're pretty close to getting a car, and yesterday my wife said to me, "We should try to go to a launch soon."

That's right - Mrs. N00b suggested we go to a launch!
When you do come, make sure you have some hearing protection for the Newbie N00b.

Austin and I plan to come. I have a new Upscale Deuce Wild on 2x38 mm motors which will fly for the first time. Jim should like this! This will require the 1515 rail. I can help set-up, and my ETA is around 11:30. Austin plans to fly a 5 in scratch built on a K motor, also on the 1515 rail.

Looking forward to the launch. This Upscale, Upscale Deuce wild has been on the drawing boards for 5 years and has finally come to fruition.

Curtis

Mrs. N00b plans on taking him somewhere civilized, where there are bathrooms and air conditioning.

I’ll be there with the hot dogs, buns and condiments - could use an assistant or two to help out with serving.

Matt, Check post #2; Gloria's going to be doing the cooking. If you want to get a hold of her to see if she could use our supplies or just freeze them up for some future use.

Thanks - will do. I was going to buy today so good thing I didn’t. Will check with Gloria, but AMW usually has the kitchen well covered!

I think I'll come up as well. I need to do a characterization flight if an h195 happens to be available. If not, oh darn, I have to watch a bunch of rockets fly :)

I’ll be there. Haven’t flown anything since February. Starting to get rocket withdrawal.

Congrats Eggplant! Here is a video I took of his L3 flight. Sorry for the vertical camera - I forgot I'd be uploading to youtube which forces a horizontal frame.

Back