MMMSC 08 September 2018 Launch Moved From 01 September

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The next launch in Berwick will be on Saturday, 08 September. This has been rescheduled from the 1st of September. Keep an eye on this thread, the club website and Facebook page to get the latest information. Let's hope we get good weather and have a place we can set up that will work well with the wind that day. There were lots of newly plowed and planted areas that left us a good but not great spot to fly from last time.

Set up starts at 9:30 AM and flying as soon as we're set up. Come early and get trained on setting up the range so we can all start flying earlier. Our flying day will end at 4 PM. Breaking down the range and packing up the trailer is a big part of making for a good day, too, so stick around an learn how to get things ready for the next launch.

If you want to help out with food service, get a hold of Scott to coordinate efforts.

The folks from AMWProX will not be on the field. Robert and Gloria will be on the road for the rest of our flying season and Jason is doing lots of work on his recently purchased house. We will look to put together group orders that will save us from having to pay individual HAZMAT fees and may get them waived entirely with a big enough order. Curtis Heisey has stepped up to be the person who will received the shipments from AMWProX and get the motors to launches or other gatherings; if you have any special instructions for when and where you can receive your motors, specify that on your order, don't contact Curtis unless something changes. Payments will be made directly to AMWProX; let them know this should be part of the CMASS/MMMSC group order. This will be posted on the CMASS website, too, so we should get plenty of motors. Of course, you can still place individual orders with AMWProX to be shipped directly to you, if you feel the need.

Is there anyone who is looking to do a Level 1 or 2 certification at the Launch? If so, please do not wait until the last minute. You need time to go through safety check and set up on the pad. Time runs out quickly if you are not the only one rushing to cert at the end of the day. Also, make sure you have proof of current NAR membership and your paper work ready to go. If you are certifying under Tripoli, please make sure someone at the launch is authorized to be your witness.

Do you expect to need the 1515-rail pad setup? Let us know ahead of time and try to be there to help set it up so you are familiar with how to work it. The same goes for the other high power pads; the more people we can teach set up and break down the range, the quicker we can get flying in the morning and the earlier we can get to the all important debriefing sessions after the launch.

All of the usual rules apply:
  • Stay on the roadways - no wheels on the grass; keep an eye out for Scott who will show you where to park and set up
  • No sparky motors
  • If you haven't done it yet, have your 38mm CTI motors checked for the proper delay grain (if we don't have a vendor on the field, don't fly a CTI 38mm unless you know you've made the upgrade)
  • Any rocket using a CTI VMax motor and an active recovery system must not rely on the motor's ejection charge for a safe recovery; it must have electronic deployment for all of its events.
  • Positive motor retention especially for composite motors - this includes the Quest Q-Jet motors
  • Have your NAR (or TRA) card with you showing your cert level if you're going to fly HPR
  • If the winds aloft are doing much of anything, don't overfly the conditions
  • All the usual stuff in the NAR Safety Code, too.

Claude Maina spent a quite a bit of time looking for a lost rocket of his during this past Saturday's launch. He found two rockets, one of which the owner has already been located and we will
be returning that rocket. The other is missing the nosecone and parachute, as the shock cord looks to have broken/worn through. It is a well constructed fiberglass model, 3 fins,
rail buttons, and has a CTI 29mm 3 grain motor casing in it. If anyone knows who is the owner, I currently have the rocket.upload_2018-8-27_8-40-29.png

Guy.

Last edited:
Get your orders into AMWProX by Thursday afternoon, 06 September, and I can pick them up at Robert and Gloria's house before they leave on Friday (various things have delayed their departure for the season). I'll bring the orders to Berwick on the 8th and the Fliskits Launch on the 15th.

A friend and I are hoping to go for our L1 certifications at this event. We fully intended to go on the 25th but something came up that morning and we couldn't make it.

We had an order from AMW that was picked up and are trying to find out its status. I called the number on the MMMSC website the morning of the 25th and talked to Scott, I believe, who said he'd pass my number on to you, Kenn. I've emailed you through the CMASS website with more details.

Sorry about the trouble.

The email I sent on the 25th seems not to have gone through so I just forwarded it to you.
I've got your CTI order and will have it with me on the 8th.
Be sure to review all the L1 requirements on the NAR website, print out your application and fill in the top part of the front page. Bring your current NAR membership card with you.

I plan to launch the Upscale Deuce and will require the 1515 away cell. Unfortunately, I have a Boy Scout Planning meeting on part of Sat morning, so will not be arriving to later and will consequently miss set-up, but I can help with tear down. Curtis

There will be food service at the field; Linda will be cooking hot dogs, the traditional rocketeer fuel. Soft drinks will be available, too.

Last edited:
I have a brand spanking new cash box populated with change to use (assuming I don't forget to bring it). See you all there!

Guy.

Upscale Deuce.

Let's just say I will have a good winter repair project going.

I think there were so many leaks in the bottom payload, and with the volume so big, I didn't have enough charge to blow the chute out.

When I redesign, I will put the chute in the smaller top compartment ... less volume and fewer leaks.

I will have to get my 4 inch Upscale Deuce going for next weekend.

Attachments

• 2018 09 08 MMMSC 016_crop0.JPG
    2018 09 08 MMMSC 016_crop0.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 9
The September 8th Launch was GREAT! It was cool enough that you didn't need to setup your canopy. It was cloudy but the clouds were high enough that there were not any altitude restrictions. The club officers worked hard to find a suitable spot that would protect any new grass, have a good place to park and have the wind blow towards the middle of the field. I don't think there were any lost rockets. There were at least two successful level 1 certification flights by students from the University of Maine. There were some very interesting high power flights up to K. Robert DeHate was there to test his new motors that he has been making. The food service included premium quality hotdogs, drinks and snacks.

This weekend the Northeast Pro Rocketry Tour takes us to the CMASS launch in Amesbury, MA. Check out CMASS.org for the exiting details.

Back