Mmm, Karbon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocwizard

Reaction score
Recently I ordered a Dok Von Karbon fin can from Missile Works for my special project for BALLS this year. Each one is custom made to order. For those unfamiliar with these, they are like the ACME fin cans on steroids. It looks incredibly strong. lots of carbon fiber cloth with outer layers of carbon/kevlar hybrid cloth. I chose the red kevlar version as it is the most appealing of the three not to mention the brightest. There is a nice airfoil molded in as well. thus far with all my strength, I haven't been able to get the slightest bit of flex. I have no doubt it could be driven over with a semi and survive. It will be just perfect for the expected Mach 2.6 velocities of the vehicle. I'll start another thread on it when construction ensues. they are a bit pricey, but after getting it, i think its worth every penny. DVK also has a couple of composite rocket kits that are soon to be released.

Bottom line, you won't be dissapointed. It makes a great looking addition to any special project you may have that needs alot of strength. Check them out here: https://www.missileworks.com/Mercha...&Product_Code=DVK-3X3&Category_Code=cat103050

$150? That seems a little pricey for somethign you could probably make on your own for under $50

People tend to forget you have to pay for someone else's labor when you buy a product. It is pricey, too much so for me, but it's probably not out of line for a custom item.

But then you can get some sweet 3" fincans from performance rocketry for about half. But then people beef those up for super high perf applications.

Cost wasn't really an issue. I am sparing no expense on this project. I didn't want to have to paint this rocket, and I wanted a break from doing all the carbon, glass, whatnot reinforcemants to my fins like I have on the last several projects' i've done.

Besides, its preeeeetty:D Not to mention, there is no way I could ever get the same final product if I made it myself

Does the fincan slide over the motor casing or the body tube?

I personally like RStaff's idea, muuuuch cheaper, and with a layer of carbon looks just as cool:)

<chorus of angels singing>

WOW :eek:

That's gorgeous! I would do everything in my power to keep paint far, far away from that... Definitely something to show off :D

This one is made to slide over the motor, however by request, they can make one to slide over the airframe. I wanted to keep the whole rocket modular so that in case something happens to one part, I can replace it without extensive repair.

Keep in mind, that both Carbon and Epoxy based composites should be painted or at least clear coated with a UV inhibitor

Otherwise both Carbon and Epoxy break down with UV light

It will yellow(or Amber) and become brittle more and more as time passes and more UV exposure

Have any other pics of this rocket? I wanna see the rest of it!

When I get the rest of it. The tubes and coupler are on their way from Hawk Mountain, and other supplies coming from Giant Leap. The nosecone is being purchased from Polecat Aerospace. This is almost too easy to build. Construction consists of gluing a piece of allthread into the nosecone and gluing 3 coupler bulkheads to 3 bulkheads.

Originally posted by rstaff3
Like Giant leap's kits - ARF.

Good dog! now...Sit! Sit! Roll over! Good dog!

That's a gorgeous fin can! Can't wait to see the rest!

Loopy

What he doesn't tell you is that he is stuffing a 16% Aluminum N5500 up the back end of that puppy. Such a motor will at last do DVK products justice!

Looks good so far Eric. Don't be so nervous about it, what is there to be nervous about? :p

I hope you have a really robust liner, otherwise you will probably burn through your case.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
I hope you have a really robust liner, otherwise you will probably burn through your case.

Oh no, we were planning on running linerless with the new, untested formulation.

NOT! (on both counts...)

;)

haha okay man, I was just saying that because you had made some suspicous comments about liners before.

Nervous? Me? Nah. I'm just putting it up on a bottled explosion.

Prediction of words said at launch:

5, 4, 3, 2, 1, launch- BAM, *#$& (*#% $#@( where'd it go?!?, :kill:

Back